What do your cards say?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 4, 2010

I'm thinking of re-doing my sub business cards. They currently say

Substitute Teacher
    SB2042 Credential

My name
    My ID number for the district

My contact information

I'm thinking of just saying "Teacher," and getting rid of the "substitute" part. I think that's redundant since it's obvious that I'm leaving the card after a day of subbing. I also am beginning to resent the different title. After all, I'm a credentialed teacher who happens to be subbing, not a representative of a "sometimes" subculture.

I've seen cards that say things like the days available or cute little sayings about being glad to take your class, but I tend to think less is more.

Thoughts?

3. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I was just going to post something asking what I should put on my business card!

Mine would have to say "substitute teacher" as I do not have any credentials yet to have my own class. I think it would be beneficial to you to get rid of the "substitute".

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

I think you need to keep personal feelings out of it.

You want to make yourself an attractive candidate. Including the word "substitute" on the card makes it easy for the reader to know why he or she is holding your card.

When I apply for a freelance writing position, I call myself a "freelance writer" even though my "REAL" title is math teacher-- freelance is just something I do over the summer (mostly) for spare cash.

Figure that a teacher is looking for a sub. She is holding 2 dozen business cards, all from qualified teachers. You want YOURS to be the one she picks.

So make clear:
    -WHO you are
    -WHAT you're capapble of teaching-- not just the numbers on the credential, but the grades you're certified to teach
    - Your contact info
    -WHY she should choose you. Let a little personality show through, to distinguish yourself from all those other qualified professionals.

And I would most certainly include a quote or clipart or something. It doesn't have to be cutesy. When I tutored, I found one of a protractor and ruler. My husband's side photography cards include a picture of a camera.

The point is to make the card appealing and easy to read.

5. KateA

KateA Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

On the front, my cards have my name, "substitute teacher," email and phone number.
    On the back I have three lines to write in information such as availability, my ID number and whatever else I need.

My husband designed them before I got my certificate and ID number, but we'll add that into the next batch. For now, I'll just write it on the back.

It's understandable if you are a teacher subbing until you find a permanent classroom to not want to put "Substitute Teacher," but I agree that just saying "Teacher" or even "Certified Teacher" is vague.

My issue is I'm not a certified teacher in Florida yet, so I don't have specific grades or subjects that I'm technically 'qualified' to teach, so what then? I just left it simple, and my classroom management and dependability will qualify me enough.

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

"My issue is I'm not a certified teacher in Florida yet, so I don't have specific grades or subjects that I'm technically 'qualified' to teach, so what then? I just left it simple, and my classroom management and dependability will qualify me enough."

This is my problem as well. I'm not certified in any subject areas yet.

7. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I am not technically "certified" to teach any subject yet, either.

This will be my 1st year subbing, student teaching, & making my own business cards.

I plan on it being something like:

Karen ________

Phone #
    Email Address

K-12 All Subject Substitute Teacher
    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays

Enthusiastic Student Teacher
    Tuesdays, Thursdays

Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
    66 credits completed
    Indiana University School of Education at Indianapolis

?? I don't think it could hurt putting how many credits I have completed & the fact that I am enrolled in "how to be a good teacher!" :) ....as long as it fits!

I'll also definitely have different colors of font for the different sections & cutesy clip-art, because I am just the cutesy kind of person who loves things like that. I'll try to make it appeal for secondary situations though, too. OR if I really want to get into it, (like I did with my resumes) I will have them printed on the same color of paper as the school color, and have the school mascot for my clip-art....HMMM....I will be subbing for 5?! schools....I'm not sure if this is such a great idea....people might think I'm trying to suck up too much...:huh:

8. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

Oh also, if you can't say what your credentials are but you would like to "spice" it up...you could say how many years of experience you have!?! If I was a teacher and I had two business cards with 1 that says "Substitute Teacher for 9 Years" or "Subs. Teacher-- 9 Years of Experience", & "Substitute Teacher--Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns, & requests" I would DEF. pick the one that mentions years of experience!

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

I think you want to keep "Substitute Teacher" on it, even though you are a credentialed teacher. And you want to mention that you are credentialed.

I've never done cards in my career... I'm thinking about it now though. (I'm thinking I want to put a picture on mine.) But (on a different note), do you think that sending cards out along with my resume to principals in my STRUGGLING district who I don't foresee hiring--would be a pointless exercise?

In other words, my district WILL NOT hire anyone this year (too many layoffs to hire anyone new). So is there a point to me sending my resume to schools, somewhat under the guise of "a sub sending his card out for sub work", would help me in my future career hopes--on the unforeseeable chance that jobs become available next year? Sorry if that sounds like a silly question.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2010

On my business cards, I put:

Name

Substitute Teacher (& if you actually have the full credential(s) to be a full-fledged teacher, list it/them)

Substiute ID # (# the dist assigned to you so teachers can request you)

Home Phone & email

Also, a statement saying how many yrs of experience I have & in what area if applicable.

PLUS, have it visually nice-looking w/ a school picture (bus, apple, etc.) or nice bright border, etc., but not too busy on the eyes. :)

There's been a few times I left the card on the desk of the person I subbed for, but then sometime during the day, put 1/2 or full sized flyers on brightly colored paper in every teachers' mailbox IN ADDITION to 1 or 2 of my cards, so they can keep the flyer in 1 place & maybe my cards in their desk & wallet.

Now, that may sound like a LOT, but it's worth it. I also have seen subs write their name & info on the whiteboard in the teacher's lounges/workrooms.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Although cards wouldn't work where I teach--complicated request process--but I often recognize the subs in our school more by face than by name and a picture would help me greatly.