What do you write in your planbook?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mishmosh, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

We have a new principal this year. Our previous principal retired and he was the only principal I ever worked for. He was awesome...laid back, never had you do things his way, but still knew exactly what was going on in your classroom.

Well, the new guy, from what I hear is a stickler for planbooks. In the past, ours was checked in October and that was it. I was never a planbook person. I would just jot down topics and activities, but never go into detail.

For example, for science, I might have them pair-read 2 text pages, then summarize the main points in a graphic organizer. How would I write that in that little box without putting too much detail, yet without being too general? Please give a little sample of your style.
    :thanks:

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

I write a lot! I fee like it is too much, but until I have tenure, I am going to write what I am told!!
    I write my objective, and break down my procedures. I do not write in full sentences. I also type them, so it does help to go back and cut and paste (or make little changes) from previous years.

4. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I'm at a private school and this is my first year as the head teacher, so I haven't used or been compelled to use a planbook before, but I do have a lesson plan form I'm supposed to use. It's basically just a blank calendar page, and we're supposed to write what we're going to do every day on it. I basically just write very tiny. For that, all we're required to do is write something for each subject each day, such as "Math: p 45-46," or "Science: Activity."

For my own use, I've taken a bunch of those planning sheets and have made one up per month for each subject, so I have more room to give myself a real overview. I'll write things like:
    "2nd: Activities (vocab dict., matching game)
    Small groups
    3rd: Read story p 87-92"

So depending on how much room you have and how much you're required to write...something like "Pair-read p 12-13, summarize" maybe?

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

We have to be specific:
    Lesson, Objectives, State standards it correlates to, activity, how the parapro will be involved and homework. For each subject. Every week. :(

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

I usually write the unit, lesson, objective, book title or materials I need ready, and PO. Sometimes I write a couple little bullets of the procedures.

7. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I have to do the same as you, Ms. T. The most important thing we have to show is how every instructional minute relates to state standards.

8. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Great help, keep it coming!

The objective would be something like this : students will be able to identify the parts of the nitrogen cycle ? Or should I just leave off the students will be able to part? How ridiculous is this that after 13 yrs of teaching I haven't had to do this? It's all in my head. It's perfect in my head. If they can just wire my brain up to some software, then I'm all set :eek: !

I did find a thread about planbooks and someone mentioned using software called starplanit. I d/l it and you can import your state standards into it, which I haven't figured out how to do yet, but when I have some time I will. It seems like it's something I'll use.

This has gotten me right back into teacher mode, mentally. I'm excited to go back.

9. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

You could shorten it to SWBAT instead of students will be able to. I usually start off the year detailed in my plan book but then by Christmas I start slacking and only writing in the topic or sight words focus and the page number of the assignment. lol.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

I write "See last week's plans."

11. shouldbeasleep

Aug 18, 2007

Also, when they made us write the objective number like LA5a 1-5, b2g, I used to make them up.

12. shouldbeasleep

Aug 18, 2007

I'm supposed to be writing plans right now, and instead I'm thinking up sarcastic things to say about writing lesson plans.

13. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 18, 2007

i write the objective, materials needed, activity, and assignment. i showed my principal and she thought it was fine. she's pretty laid back though.

LC

14. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

We have to write as detailed as possible in those little boxes for each period of the day (even recess and lunch), include state course of study objectives (we cannot make them up because the principal knows every number for every grade.), we cannot type them and then paste them in our planbooks. We have specific planbooks to use. We do the 4 block and in kindergarten we have building blocks. So we use the planbooks to match. The principal comes in weekly to check our lessons. She makes checks, circles, notes, comments etc. on them. It takes about 5 hours just to write the week's plans in the book. I dislike having to do this. It takes so long. Of course, sometimes I am not as detailed. I have another life. I will just tell her when she comes in that they are not complete. We also have to write questions on the board as to what we hope to learn that day. They have to fit higher order thinking/critical thinking questions/objectives. This really isn't that big of a deal. It is just so time consuming. I do what I am told to do. Because next year, the superintendent might move her somewhere else. That happens a lot in our district. However, sometimes having detailed lessons in your planbook are a life saver. If you have an emergency and have to leave, the sub or principal or whomever comes in can follow what you have planned. This has happened to me. You just get a little bit used to it. Learn to abbreviate some things. Next year, you can go back and use them again or part of them.

15. shouldbeasleep

Aug 18, 2007

I do have a sub plan folder with detailed notes and generic work that they should know if I don't have time to write specific plans for a sub.
    I probably shouldn't dip into it. No, I'm kidding. I don't really dip into it. And I do write lesson plans that are reasonably detailed because I need to know what I'm doing. Our principal is very laid back with some of us, and works a lot with the newer teachers. He or the assistant principal or both come in my room every day and observe for a few minutes. They are both great. Sometimes he avoids me because I'll put him to work helping a child.

16. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I seriously can't stop laughing!!! :D :D :D

17. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Sounds great. I have a sub folder too for emergencies. But, I still write details for planned absences. We had so many (workshops)last year. Another teacher and I counted the ones we had been to for just part of the year. We had been to 63 inservices, workshops, and meetings of some kind. It was crazy. I had to use my planbook just to make sure the kids stayed on track.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

This year, we will have 20 pages of lesson plans per week (the lower grades, which do Reading First have about 15 pages per day). Each major subject (reading, writing, math, science) is a full page--we put things such as standard, material needed, opening, worktime, and closing, which small groups will meet and what they will be doing, what conferences will be held and what will be discussed, what work will be independent, what will be with partners, and what will be in groups. We also have to do a written reflection after each lesson is taught.

19. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 18, 2007

Oh my goodness! agdamity, when do you write your plans? 20 pages per week. I have nothing to complain about. Goodness.
    We had to be detailed too with our small group lessons for levelled reading groups. But, nothing like this. Where do you live in AR. I used to live in Blytheville.

20. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I LOOOOOVE it! ROFLMAO
    Who the heck is going to actually cross reference those numbers...it's such a waste of time. lol lol

21. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

For the lesson you described, my lessonplan would say" partner read pgs 4,5. Do graphic organizer."

That's it!

22. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Geez...talk about micromanaging. When is your principal due to retire?! Checks your plans weekly and GRADES them!? How 'bout a little faith in your professional teachers?!

23. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

i do this a lot too. just depends on my motivation! if i'm pooped or crabby, i skimp a little. :)

LC

24. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

i'd be looking for a new district! lol. that is terrible that you have to write that much. it takes so much time. however, after you've done it once, you could use your old plan book. but sheesh! lots of work. i feel sorry for you.

LC

25. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

In previous jobs I had to use the STOPE format (subject, topic, objective, procedures, and eval.). This year we do our plans online. I'm excited and nervous about it. Although I'm into current technology I really am old school with lesson plan books and record books. :unsure: It'll weird having everything on the computer. Anyway, I believe I was told the software has the standards in it so they'll go right in our plans. :)

26. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I use a standard plan book that my district provides. We have two types - I use the larger one because I like to write more! It has the boxes down the side where you can write the day and time for each subject and the days go across the top. I generally use this as an overview of my week because I teach ELA and write out my plans pretty specifically on my computer. Then I keep them in my folder for whichever class I am teaching - it goes in the day of the weeks box. Then when I need the materials for the class I am teaching they are in the right day's box.

To answer your original question(Im feeling a little long winded today!)
    In my plan book I write the basic overview of what we are doing, for example:

*Read Levelled Reader #146A
    *Complete Graphic Organizer
    *Spelling math activity
    *Independent Read/Sharp Reader Sheet
    (See Day 3 plans in folder)

This is basically what I put for a typical day in my plan book - then all of my specific details are in the folder, along with a list of materials are needed, procedure, etc.

My administrators don't care what way we write our plans and only check one lesson plan twice a year when they come in to observe us. This gives me a basic overview of what I am doing each day and still allows me to see where i have guests coming in, performances, meetings, etc, each week - I need a big picture view. I always post several of the objectives on the focus wall for the kids to see - I think its important for them to know what the point of them learning something is.

27. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Wow! That's all I can say! I live in Manitoba, Canada, and we don't have the same kind of requirement at all. I'm not sure my principal has EVER checked my planbook. At our school its more to keep ourselves organized. We get evaluated once every two years or so, and I have to turn in an "outline" of what I will be doing. If admin has any questions about what I'm teaching and when I'm teaching it, we discuss it orally. Its weird how schools can be so different.

28. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Gee, isn't it a shame when having all those KIDS hanging around gets in the way of completing all our important paperwork?! Where are the priorities....I just don't get these kinds of requirements.

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

I do my plans on excel & do alot of copy & paste. I also abbreviate: TSWBAT (the student will be able to) is the big one. We also have to put in accommadations (sp) for different children. When I'm lazy I just put Asst. as needed

30. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

Wannateach: I teach in North Little Rock--my school is an America's Choice school, which is why we have so much paperwork! Trust me, if I didn't love the kids, I would be more than a little put out! I still don't like it, but my school also has high turnover for teachers---half the staff, and on my grade level, I am the only one of 3 that isn't a first year teacher--there are so many elements to each lesson that they may need to be that detailed in their written plans, I don't, but I'll do it because I have to! When I'll have time is another story!

31. shouldbeasleep

Aug 21, 2007

This is seriously crazy. Whoever is requiring that must have something wrong with them. It is insulting to the teachers at your school. The person probably has no control in their own life, and so must feel the need to be THE POWER at work. You candrop this note in the suggestion box if you want.