What do you wear?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I know in the General Ed there is a thread on teacher attire, but often that doesn't apply to us!:whistle: So, here is a thread for those of us who do teach preschool..... What do you wear in the classroom?

3. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I often wear carpis and a nice knit top, but often feel too under dressed. I teach 3's and as we all know, it is lots of floor time and messy projects (yay for mess!).

4. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Oh we all wear tees or tanks and jeans or capris or bermuda shorts with close toed shoes. The infant room wears scrubs

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

The K4 teachers at our school wear scrubs. When I did private preschool, I did scrubs in the infant room. At a different preschool, we were required to wear slacks, capris, or skirts to the knee with blouses. In the summer (in Florida) we could wear "walking shorts" that came to the knee and sleeveless shirts (but not tank tops.) No open-toed shoes per health code.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I have never heard or seen of preschool teachers wearing scrubs.

Mostly otherwise what MissCeliaB said. I don't wear sleeveless but that is probably because of "wings."

I feel if we want to be treated as professionals instead of babysitters we should dress as professionally as we can, within reason. I get on the floor and have messy projects but I can still look decent. No jeans unless it is a field trip day - no ratty shirts, cleavage, sweats, thong showing, etc. I have seen with some teachers.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I totally agree. I think scrubs outside of the medical field is inappropriate.

I wear capris, pants, occasionally skirts. I prefer pants because they give me more freedom of movement and I just like them better. BUT, I wear dress pants most days and have a few pairs of jeans type pants that are different colors (not blue). I try to dress professionally because even though I am on the floor and outside working with children, I still need to convey the message that I'm a professional.

8. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I just got a job where the other teachers (upper grades) will be wearing business casual--dress pants, nice blouses, skirts/dresses. I'm trying to find something that would work for me that won't get ruined. I'll be teaching 4-year-olds. Suggestions? Those of you that dress up--do you just assume that you'll be using stain-stick? :)

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

So, by this standard, are doctors not professionals because they wear scrubs? Scrubs were designed to be comfortable and to get messy. Both of those things I needed in the infant room. I think I look a lot more professional in scrubs that wash easily than in slacks and shirts that are always stained with spit-up, paint, formula, snot, etc. The Pre K teachers at my school often looked more professional in their well-tailored scrubs than many teachers did wearing whatever they had on.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I also have clothing that is "just for school". It might have a little bleach stain on the bottom or something, but I know it's just for school. Usually I just make sure everything is machine washable and wash away. I keep a small squirt bottle of laundry detergent in my bedroom so when I take my clothes off at night I can put a little bit on any stains I might have before I throw it in the wash. That way it'll start working before I can wash it.

MissCeliaB, it's just my opinion. Doctors are part of the medical profession.

At the daycare where my son went when he was an infant, they wore jeans, t-shirts, shorts, whatever. I'd prefer someone to wear that over scrubs when working with my child.

I work in a very expensive private school and for me to wear scrubs to work as a teacher of 3-6 yr olds would be VERY unprofessional. I also believe that if we, as educators, want people to take us seriously we have to dress for the part, if you will.

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I like khakis and either a blouse/polo shirt for everyday preschool wear. For open houses, parent meetings, etc. I wear dress pants and a nonpreschool blouse or sweater. I'm in my 50s and it really bothers me to see younger teachers wearing jeans or walking shorts and sandals while working. Just my opinion.

12. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I think you convey your professionalism through you what you do in the classroom and how you interact with people so much more than through your clothes. I have seen lots of teachers who looked great, but really had no business in a classroom.

13. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Aug 3, 2009

My dress varies. It just depends what we are doing. In the beginning of the year I always dress business casual but by Christmas the jeans come out. I think that if you look well put together then jeans are fine. I hate to feel like I cannot move or get messy because my clothes are too nice.

I think that it is important to make a good first impression and look nice. I think that once parents see that we actively participate in the classroom they understand why we do not dress like corporate exec's. As a parent I would rather see a teacher playing on the floor in her jeans then standing in the corner wearing slacks.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

tiffharmon, You make a very good point. Clothes don't make you a good teacher but the correct clothing can make people take you more seriously.

When I mentor new teachers, I always tell them to dress the part. Especially in a high school situation, if I can't tell the teachers from the students there is a real problem.

Preschool is a little different, but not totally. We want to be taken more seriously than a stock clerk or a housecleaner. I think a parent will trust a teacher more, and take their advise more seriously, and be willing to pay more if we look like professionals. I think we can do this with clothes that can be laundered and don't cost a lot but still seem mature. In 13 years, I have "ruined" one piece of clothing because the orange paint wouldn't come out. Now, if I had laundered it the same day or pretreated it, I probably could have saved it.

I am not trying to critique anyone, just my opinion.

15. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I also wear khakis or dress pants and nice shirts but I also wear an apron that has our school logo on it that helps to protect my clothes plus it has pockets for all the stuff I seam to carry around or pick up off the floor. I also don't like seeing our younger staff wearing jeans and hoodies.

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

I dress business casual, but will wear nice jeans with a jacket or sweater. I ruined one pair of pants- a bleach spot. I try to be preventative. A switched from bleach/water solution to Clorox-type wipes. I only buy washable paint and markers.

17. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I do agree that we should wear clothes that are in good shape and that cover what needs to be covered. Nothing with holes or inappropriate pictures/words on it. I don't think flip flops are appropriate for school either for teachers or students.

But, for a PreK teacher, I think nice jeans, a school/teacher t-shirt, and tennis shoes are fine. I need to be able to get down on the floor, paint, and get hugs from kids with sticky hands. If I had one "nice" clothes, I would be more hesitant to plan messy activities.

I know in our district, there are a few teachers who insist on wearing things that are totally inappropriate. So, rather than dealing with those individuals, the BOE is going to make a policy says NO jeans and NO t-shirts. Too bad that a few have to ruin it for everyone.

18. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I wear a school T-shirt most days.

I wear tennis shoes.

I wear shorts every day, even in the winter.

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

I have worked in a lot of preschools, and each has had a different dress policy. I do like the scrubs idea. My goal is for clothing to be safe. Some of the dress codes are culteral--no jeans in one school, and no shorts in another. Clean and nice, in all.

20. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 4, 2009

So you would want to wear something nice while you have baby spit up, baby food, bottles, snot all over you? I think it's acceptable if you're in the infant room. We don't wear them in the older ages.

21. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Honestly, my favorite place to get clothes for preschool work is in second-hand stores. Then you don't feel as if you have to safeguard them from the inevitable stains that you can get in school. Plain dress usually works though (jeans/plain coloured shirt and maybe a sweater with a belt tie as a throwover). And I am always surprised how nice alot of the stuff is that you can find.

I do think though it depends on where you live and what kind of school you are in. I know one teacher who worked as a temporary in one of the richer areas here. One of the kids came up to her and immediatly asked her if she was poor because of how she dressed. She ended up not going back to that area of the city again because she got tired of this.

22. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Well, it's official! You have to wear scrubs in the infant room! I was laying down on the floor playing with the infants, got up and there was poop on my shirt. One of the semi-mobile babies spilled out!

23. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

we msotly wear nice jeans and nice tops. No holes, no faded to oblivion. and usually sneakers. Our fdirector prefers that we dress comfortably and practically for chasing after children adn getting downon their level. I have had many parents tell me they appreciate that we dress in a way that allows us to interact witht he children. I'm not saying that youcan't interact effectively in dressier clothes only that our parents perspective of people in dressier clothes is that they wouldn't be down on their hands and knees on floor interacting with the kids in them. I think sometimes it makes a difference what kind of community you arei n too-- I am in a rural new enlgand area, msot of our parents are blue collar workers.

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2009

Capris, knit tops, sandals. When it gets cooler, jeans and cotton pants with sneakers or other comfy shoes.

Gotta dress comfy and practical!

25. PrekCAteacher

PrekCAteacher Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I will say when I first started I used to wear professional clothes, and most of them went the way of the trash, because they got ruined while I was working. I do wear jeans on Friday, and usually Khakis, or black pants and a nice shirt the others days. I have invested in an apron!

26. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

Well said scmom, I couldn't agree more. As early childhood educators we are professionals and should dress as such. The teaching profession in general already has a hard enough time gaining respect in the US, we shouldn't add to that problem by dressing inappropriately. I'm not talking high heels and hose, just a little common sense and modesty.

27. Kase

Kase Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I think jeans and a nice shirt is fine. I want to look like I have no problem getting down on the floor and getting dirty with the children. I feel I come off just as professional as the next teacher. I think it's how you carry yourself and how you communicate with the parents. Sure you don't want front cleavage and back cleavage but you can dress in jeans, flats and a nice shirt and look just as professional. If I'm wearing too nice of clothes it would just give off the impression that all I do is walk around and monitor. I can't get down there with the kids and feel comfortable in trousers and a dressy shirt.

28. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I like caprice, jeans and shirts. Occasionally I wear skirts. But I prefer pants because it is very comfortable for movement.:cool: