What do you wear?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by 'Lizbeth, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

I will (hopefully) be starting to work at a pre-school in a couple of weeks and I was curious to see what most pre-school teachers wear. I worked at one pre-school where teachers would wear sweats and flip flops and giant t-shirts. It was a little bizzare but everything about that school was weird. I have only been to the new school once and I don't remember what the teachers were wearing.

I also recently saw a "What Not To Wear" episode on TLC where they made over a pre-school teacher and well, they really dressed her up. I am all for looking professional but I think they made her look more like a business woman with suites and skirts and heels. I have never seen a pre-school teacher that dressed up. So I am super curious, so please, tell me what do all you pre-school teachers wear? :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

My preschool was in a High School setting (it was the lab for the child development/family living students, nice concept) I dressed like a teacher- nice slacks, blazers, skirts, blouses, cardigans. Never sweats, never flip flops :eek: that's how my cleaning lady dresses- which is appropriate for her job, not mine.

4. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

I know what you mean about the sweats! I couldn't believe it. Even the director (who would often step in as a teacher during lunches or breaks) wore baggy jeans and her husbands t-shirts. :huh: I worked in the infant room, and I admit I did wear jeans, but nice dressy jeans and always a nice top, never a t-shirt. I liked wearing jeans because I had to go outside a lot with our "older infant's (13-18 months) and I got a lot of sand and mud etc on my clothes. I would have hated wearing nice dress pants and being covered with mud and whatever they would have for lunch. I want to dress nicely, but practically as well.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

I wear professional clothes. I do wear jeans, but not very often, and the only sweatshirt I wear is one with our school logo on it. Normally I wear a nice pair of pants and a shirt or turtleneck and sweater.

The thing I totally hate is that the toes of my shoes are always the first to go since I'm up and down off of the floor all of the time.

6. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

Well I am a jeans or capri kind of teacher. Now that being said, they are not ripped and old looking jeans. Pair of Gloria Vanderbilt jeans with a sporty top and sometimes t-shirts ...either school shirt or one I might have bought at a Preschool type conference. On a daily basis I am sitting on the floor playing a game with the kids, or painting with them or perhaps sitting by the Sandbox and enjoying a tea party along with my four year olds. Heels, skirts and being dressed up just would not fit into my day!

7. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

Most days it's a school t-shirt (short or long sleeve) shorts, and my ball cap.

That's how I'm most comfortable, so that's what I wear. I have to be ready to play inside, outside, on the floor, and on my toes all day long. On a daily basis I'm dealing with paint, glue, glitter, sand, bleach water, bodily fluids, and everything else you can think of that is hard on clothing. My comfort is more important to me than my appearance.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

We have a dress code at our center. We must wear khaki, black or brown pants with a red, blue or white (or shades of) shirt. Our director implemented this a few months after she started I guess because people were looking very sloppy. We can wear jeans and whatever color top we'd like on Fridays though.

Most of my work clothes come from Old Navy because they are so cheap and I have ruined so many shirts at work. I usually wear khaki's with a Old Navy shirt with either sneakers or my Ugg boots. We do wear flip flops in the summer, but most of the public school teachers around here do too.

9. teachtlc

teachtlc New Member

Feb 15, 2009

Khaki pant/capris or a pair of JUST blue jeans. collared or polo shirt is nice.. try wearing an apron if you want to protect your clothes but most have useful pockets in them.
    CLOSED TOED SHOES unless you are in the infant room then wear slippers so no small fingers will get hurt and it's easier to get up and down in.

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

Well!:DMatching bras and undies.;)Oh! Excuse me!:spitwater:
    That is already a given. We had a teacher though at my last pre-school, who use to tell everyone that she didn't wear the latter; like we wanted to hear about it. (One :dizzy: chic!)
    Seriously now, We have school T-Shirts with the school thingy on them, that we are supposed to wear with khaki pants. We can also wear black pants. Jeans are allowed on Fridays. There are also smocks that you can wear SO you pretty much can get away with wearing whatever shirt you want. It's hidden under the smock.

On the flip side, here are some things that anyone with common sense shouldn't wear to work @ a Pre-school...
    -Tight clothes
    -See through stuff
    -low cut shirts
    -spaghetti strap shirts
    -high heels
    -flip flops
    -wrinkled clothes
    -nightees or shirts that look like nightees
    -high rising shirts, so your belly shows
    -thongs with low riding pants. Watch out!
    -daisy duke shorts
    -Anything that would raise your parents', co-workers', director's & even childrens' eyebrows
    DID I MISS ANYTHING?
    Common sense is a must when judging what's appropriate to wear.
    :2cents:WWMW? What would Mary wear? ;):D
    Like that WWJD? What would Jesus do?
    Later,;)
    Rebel1

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

I work at a PK to 8 Catholic school that has a dress code for the teachers- no jeans. The principal lets the Pre-K wear jeans due to the nature of our job.

I wear jeans, slacks and on occasion dress-pants. I never wear sweatshirts, sweats, or flipflops. I usually wear sweaters or some type of jacket over my t-shirts. If I wear a casual top, I usually wear a scarf or something to dress it up.

I never wear tennis shoes, usually flats that match my jacket or sweater. Sometimes I wear boots or heels, on occasion.

When its hot it the summer I wear skirts and t-shirts with sandals.

12. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 15, 2009

I worked in a preschool where sweats were not allowed. We were allowed to wear jeans and tees as long as the tees were respectable. Some teachers on the preschool side dressed up a little bit more but not much. I worked with 2s and 3s just wore nice jeans with a shirt. We were able to wear flip flops but that was a decision we had to make. They allowed us to wear tennis shoes. We just couldn't have holes in our jeans or anything to that extent. The place I'm working at now is the same way but we can't wear flip flops. Also ask for a copy of the dress code as well. Most places have one.

13. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Feb 15, 2009

I work with two and three year olds, and I am that teacher who wears sweat pants and T- shirts. I also wear lab coats over my clothes, but I still manage to get something messy on my clothes.

14. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

I have worked in two different centers. The first center I worked in we did not have a dress code and could wear what we wanted to. I would wear jeans, nicer shirts and tennis shoes and we could wear flip flops if we wanted to. The center I work at now we have daycare shirts with the centers name on them with a different color for each day and we can wear any type of pants. I wear mostly jeans, and we must have shoes on with a back to them. I wear tennis shoes. I do keep a hoodie at work in case I do get cold. We also have in the past ordered hoodies and jackets with the center logo on them.

15. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

It seems like it varies a lot from center to center and even person to person. For any of you that wear shirts with the daycare center logo on them, did you guys have to pay for those yourselves or were they provided? I love all the information!

16. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

Our center shirts are on loan as long as you work at the center, when we leave we have to return the shirts. If they are not returned we must pay for them, this money is normally deducted from the last paycheck we recieve

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 15, 2009

1. Your school should have a dress policy. Ask to see it.
    2. The type of shoes you wear can be a safety issue. When I worked for Head Start, we had a whole training on dress codes, and shoe types. No open toe, open backs, and no heels.

18. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

Thanks Prekteach10! I have no idea what this school's dress code is. It is in a more affluent area so I wonder if that makes a difference. I did not get an opportunity to see many of the teachers the last time I was there as it was nap time, and it was not an ideal time to be looking around a classroom. The director was dressed in a long flowy skirt and a sweater. I don't know how I would feel teaching 3 or 4 year olds in a skirt. I also really hope I do not have to wear polo shirts. I hate them with a passion. I think I look really weird in them and would be uncomfortable all day. I am anxious about the dress code and so many other things... I go back to the school on Tuesday to "finalize" things so I hope that means that I have the job. I am anxious about what to wear to that too! hahaha I think I have a serious case of newbie nerves. :p

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2009

I think that you have to look around the school/center and see what everyone else is wearing...but you probably also want to ask the director if there is a dress code. Just because you see another person wearing something doesn't mean it's within the dress code, and if someone is looking for a reason to get you into trouble, dress code violations are easy to target.

I work in a public school PreK and our rules are no jeans (on Fridays they are ok, only with a school shirt), no flipflops, no Crocs, no spaghetti strapped shirts or dresses. We must be completely covered from shoulder to mid-thigh, even if we raise our arms, no belly can show. No visible thongs (I can't believe I had to type that, but we had issues with that with several teachers).

We aren't told to wear skirts or heels or whatever, but we are told to look professional and polished at all times. And I think that's an appropriate expectation for a public school setting...and my kiddos aren't toddlers, either, so I'm not as messy as some of you are. They are 4&5 yers old.
    Kim

20. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

I've never understood the logic behind casual Fridays. Employers give you a list of what not to wear, because they want you to look "professional". However, when Friday rolls around looking "professional" is no longer important?

If jeans are unprofessional from Monday through Thursday, then it should be the same for Friday. Or, if I'm allowed to wear jeans on Friday, then they should be ok for the rest of the week.

:D

21. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Feb 16, 2009

Often in jeans, culottes, nice looking pants that are tough and clean easily, long shorts etc :D Also button up shirts and dressy t-shirts(no prints or slogans, but fitted, smart looking t-shirts) and sandals or closed shoes, some smart slip ons.

22. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

We simply have a code of what NOT to wear (such as short shorts, low-cut shirts, etc.) I wouldn't wear these clothes anyway! But seriously, in preschool I do not expect to dress in my best clothes. I am a very active teacher, I do EVERYTHING the children are doing (I'm sure I don't need to list them) and these things are extremely damaging to my clothes. So I am one of those teachers who dress comfortably. I wear sweats (I don't find jeans comfy) although they are not the baggy, sloppy looking sweats, they are sweats nonetheless ( or I guess they would be labeled "activewear"). We also have to bleach everything a few times a day and you can imagine the mess that has done to my clothes! I dress the same way I expect my children to dress: comfortably and practically. I wear sneakers everyday so that I can run around with them and I wear clothes that will allow me to get down and dirty with them without the fear of ruining something!

23. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

we mostly wear jeans or khakis. jeans can be any color but not ripped, torn or wildly embellished. We are allowed to wear t shirts/sweaters, sweatshirts etc at our discretion but they must be in good condition. Our clothing can not be overly baggy and we cannot wear sleeves that cover our hands or pants that are so long we are walking on them. We are not allowed to wear pants that show a "plumbers crack'", or tops that let it all hang out when we bend over. No flip flops or sweaters. We can wear sweats if they are not baggy look like regualar pull on pants, not baggy ones or "work out" pants. wind pants are ok if they are nice, not sloppy. We have to portray an image to our parents, and our director feels that being dressed in heels and skirts that don't allow us to bend over and interact in all the necessary ways shapes and forms we might need to with the kids is just as damaging as being too sloppy

24. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 16, 2009

I work in an elementary school. I wear dress pants, nice shirts, and heels. When I take the children outside and run around with them, I have flats in the room that I can slip on as they are lining up. I wear a dress exactly 3 times a year- open house, picture day, and moving up ceremony. On Fridays we wear jeans and school spirit polo shirts. Most of my clothing comes from New York and Company!! And I have never had trouble working in my clothes. I can't imagine teaching in sweats or anywhere near it, even if it is Pre-K. Even the jeans on Friday makes me uncomfortable sometimes!! I have to wear boots with them to feel dressed enough! :lol:

25. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I know what you mean about sweats TeacherGrl7. I think it's ok if you are comfortable in them, and it's ok with your school, but when I wear sweats or really work out pants, I don't actually own sweats, but I don't think I would feel in control if I was in sweats. I hope I don't have to wear dressy clothes because I love little kids and their messes, but I don't want their messes to be permanent on my nice clothes!

I love New York & Co. too! I have a job currently that I have to dress nicely for and a lot of my work clothes come from there. I am going to have to look into slacks, like some people mentioned. I am not even all together sure what slacks are... haha.

26. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

Even when I worked in the special ed dept of the local elementary school i was advised to wear jeans becasue they were more durable -- I don't suppose most elementary school teachers are rolling around the floor and in the dirt and on crawling on their hands and knees throught he grass and mud or helping the students finger paint with shaving cream all over the floor or even sitting on the floor too much--something that in the preschool scene i do constantly and daily. I can scrub my jeans with a scrub brush if I need to to get the paint and glue and grass stains out if i need to --something I couldn't do to a pair of nice dress slacks. My director feels that if we are dressed presentably in clothes that allow us to do those types of things effectively and be comfortable she is more concerned with the quality of the education and experience we give the childen than of our clothes. Yes, clothes make an impression but when it comes right dow to it, it's how the parents feel about the quality of care and edcuation their children are getting that makes the biggest impact.

27. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

"No flip flops or sweaters."---

sorry that's a typo--- I accidently deleted part of a sentence. We are NOT allowed to wear flip flops or high heels as it is hard to run after a child in them, and it's not a safe choice for climbing on the geo dome etc which we sometimes are required to do to help a child.

28. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I really hope I am allowed to wear nice jeans. I love jeans and I would love to be able to teach in them. I know my jeans are a lot more durable than my dress pants. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I am so anxious for tomorrow morning to come and I can find out more about the specifics. :p

29. kb8ywp

kb8ywp Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

We have no dress code where I work. That said, I think my co-teacher and I dress the most down. We normally wear pants, nice capris, or nice jeans with sturdy shoes or running shoes. If we wear t-shirts (long or short sleeved) they are school shirts. The rest of the time we wear something nicer than a t-shirt. Most of the other teachers wear nice sweaters during the winter and polo shirts or casual blouses during warmer times. Everyone has at least one school shirt and several people have jackets or sweatshirts.

My first school shirt was one the school bought for me to keep. Last year we didn't have enough money in the budget for that but we were able to buy shirts that the school subsidized. This year I think if we want new shirts we'll have to buy them ourselves, but it's worth it to know what I'm wearing each day so I'll probably buy one or more to start filling out my school wardrobe.

We are expected to wear clothes that can get dirty and that allow us to be doing everything with the kids inside and out in the play yard. If something we wore offended someone or prevented us from doing our jobs I'm sure the director would say something. But if we can sprint after a small child while wearing 3 inch heels (not that I'd want to!) I'm betting no one would stop us.

30. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 23, 2009

I would agree about checking with the school's dress code. It's different everywhere you go.
    My school doesn't require a 'uniform' look if you want to call it that, where you wear a certain color top or pants etc. We have to dress professionally (ie no jeans) Monday-Thursday. No low cut tops, belly showing, spaghetti straps, etc. Flip flops and open toed shoes are ok, expecially during the summer time when we have camps going. Friday we are allowed to wear jeans, most teachers opt to wear a school logo shirt.
    I am a lot younger than most of the teachers, so I probably dress a little less practically and more trendy :p But I never dress uncomfortable, so I can't get down on the floor with the kids. I also have to remind myself that I will have paint, dirt, yogurt, peanut butter, play dough, etc etc on me by the end of the day so I wouldn't wear anything that fancy!
    Ultimately, I would say dress in your normal style as long as that will allow you to move and do the things you need to do in preschool, but make sure you are conforming to the school's standards.

31. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Feb 23, 2009

I saw that same episode & laughed....I work 0-3 spe ed. I must be a rebel though, I wear sweats, :eek: but the Target brand type, more velour, wide leg with pockets (have trouble w/my waistline ;) )...we have more of that "Don't Wear" guidelines. (No bare middle, torn clothes, closed shoes) I will wear capris & long skirts. Always cotton tees, (definitely a wash & wear environment) I stay away from logos except during Dr. Suess week. I also do home visits so I do wear slip on sandals a lot (many homes I go into shoeless) and ok I also take my shoes off in class....;) everyone on my site has just given up....I do stay away from any jewelry, babies tend to be a bit grabby to shiny things...

32. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

In addition to all the activities I do with the children, because we are in a private school, we are also the custodian. We clean up all spills, accidents, etc. We have to clean all surface areas with bleach (including the bathroom), and we have to sweep the floors. Nice clothes..I don't think so!
    My final thought... the money that I make and the money that public school teachers make in my area are two different extremes. When I am making the big bucks I will be glad to go out and purchase nice clothes. Until then, I will be comfortable (not sloppy and certainly not innappropriate) so that I may do my job effectively.

33. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Feb 25, 2009

Stick with khakis, cords, navy pants. etc. I wouldn't dress up...I hate being restricted when I'm working with the kids. Never wear heels either...you're already taller than the kids, plus it's just not practical!

34. casey

casey Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

I'm laughing reading this! I've always wondered what everyone else wore!!
    I dress like a really big preschooler! I've got several colors of cotton pants, a bunch of colorful button down shirts, a couple of long skirts, and several pairs of very colorful Converse sneakers. If what I am wearing has sparkles or rhinestones - so much the better! Of course I always try to accessorize with fun chunky jewelry and the occasional rhinestone clip on earrings. I'm not sure what the parents think but the kids love it!

35. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 27, 2009

Casey, your persona sounds like a good fit in an ECE room!!!! Love it.