What do you wear?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 6, 2007

I start student teaching in two weeks, and I've been spending time at the mall buying "teacher clothes" so I can look presentable. So far, I feel like what I have is okay, but I'm wondering what everyone wears to school on a normal day. I tried to buy comfortable clothes that will still look neat. I bought several pairs of pants, a black blazer, some sweaters and sweater sets, and some button-down shirts. Anything else I should consider? I want to look nice because it gives me confidence, but I'm no fashionista :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 6, 2007

LMBO Grammy!

I wear what I call business casual. I don't wear a suit, but I do wear dress slacks or kakis (sp?). Sometimes I put a sporty blazer or something that isn't too formal but still appropriate for business. I wear lots of button downs (but I do form fitting so I don't have to tuck in shirts, but that depends on dress codes). Mostly dress preppy and you'll do fine. :D I'm not the most stylish dresser, but I do like dressing this way. Unfortunately sometimes I feel this kind of dress code is wasted with little glue fingers that seem to love ruining my pants. Don't buy too pricey!:eek:

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

Pisces, that sounds perfect. Comfortable slacks, sweaters or blouses, a light jacket - all work well, look professional but not stuffy. Make sure the shoes are very comfy and the slacks are easy to get up/down for those super quick bathroom breaks.

Grammy, please post a photo of yourself at work. We'd all like to see that.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2007

I usually just wear khakis and button down shirts or a sweater.I

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

oh fhooey

I see all the funny stuff got deleted. What's up with having some fun ???

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

I teach HS, so what works for me does NOT work with the younger grades.

But I love suits. I wear them probably once a week, sometimes more often.

When I'm not in a suit, it's probably a long skirt with a sweater or blouse and a blazer. Blazers-- any sort of jacket-- are great. They somehow add to your air of authority before you open your mouth.

Once in a while I wear pants, but just about always a pants suit.

I agree about the comfy shoes-- you'll be on your feet a LOT!

It sounds as though you're hitting the right note!

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

There are some people wearing suits way too often. It makes them look stuffy. Suits are nice for a formal business meeting, but not daily wear.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

:eek: :eek: :eek:

How's THAT for stuffy?:p

edited to add: and the guy's dress code in my building is jacket and tie whenever they're in front of the kids. So my suits fit right in;)

10. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 7, 2007

Slacks and button down shirts here too, and I teach hs..

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 7, 2007

I teach third grade and I wear nice dress pants (black, gray, black/white striped, tan, etc) and a sweater most days when it's cold. When it's warmer I wear a lot more button-downs. I rarely wear skirts because I'm always up and down off of the floor (that's where we do our reading groups) and I'm not a big skirt person anyway. I did wear a skirt on the first day of school and for our Christmas concert, though. :)

12. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jan 7, 2007

buy some Aerosoles for comfy shoes!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

Grammy, somebody else moved those posts.

I usually wear whatever fits and is presentable. I can't be too choosy at my weight. Sigh. But, hey, this is Florida. There's a lot of leeway.

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

I wear dress pants, khaki's, or cords, with sweaters, button-downs, turtlenecks, polos, etc. I taught PreK in public school last year, and am in a private center now... dresscode is about the same, though... although blue jeans are restricted from "every Friday" to "payday Fridays or when we're given permission". :)

Depending on the age level you're teaching, I'd say what you've got is about right. I would add a tip to make sure you have layers... especially until you know the temp. range in your building. I have a sweatshirt jacket that lives at school because my classroom tends to run very chilly, esp. during nap time and first thing in the morning.

Probably also good to make sure you have jeans that look NICE and APPROPRIATE should you have a day to wear them (I didn't wear blue jeans on casual Friday when I was student teaching, but wore khaki ones just to still look "dressy" but be casual... that's a choice you'll need to make if your school has casual days)... you don't want super-tight, worn, too faded, frayed, holes in the knees, or ones that ride so low you can see everything (this seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised how many people DON'T think about this!!!)

You don't say what age you're teaching, but make sure your shoes are both comfortable and practical... will you be doing recess duty or needing to chase kids for any reason? Will you be on the floor a lot with younger kids, or mostly standing in front of the room? Either way, I'd stay away from flip-flop types, etc. until you know what the dress code expectation is! I don't wear open-toed shoes even if they're allowed because I'd hate for my feet to get stepped on... but that's the kind of kids I work with. :)

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

Nope, not deleted just moved to the Hot Pink Pants thread. I just moved them so that the posts on here would help with the clothes question and you could still have fun with your hot pink pants.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

I know it wasn't you Daisy...:) It was a fun night anyway!

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

I bet you look so good Alice.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 7, 2007

thanks for all the responses!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, sure. Until I lean against the blackboard and get that lovely white stripe right across my you-know-what:eek:

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

Hope your all your suits are wash and wear.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

No, but chalk comes right out with a little water.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

Yea, then there is just a huge wet spot across the ---.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

True, but I never care at all till I get home.

Besides, that happens regardless of what I wear. Part of the job description, I guess. Inevitably I lean back across the board as I wait for the kids to complete the first practice problem so we can go over it; then I give them a bunch to do on their own.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

Harry Wong talks about teacher dress in 'The First Days of School'. He says: "A successful teacher is a PROFESSIONAL. He or she dresses for success, wearing a uniform of professional pride Just as a phys ed teacher wears tennis shoes and clothes that allow freedom of movement for teaching sports or related subject matter, a classroom teacher dresses for success by wearing professional attire appropriate to a classroom learning environment. When the teacher starts to model appropriate dress, the students soon see what is acceptable in the classroom."
    This does not neccessarily mean suits- attire should be neat, attractive, clean, pressed, appropriate and communicate that you take your profession and professional appearance seriously. A teacher can look neat, clean and appropriate in jeans- think white starched cotton blouse, blazer, nice shoes and jewelry with clean dark (not faded or tight) jeans... It's all about presentation.

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2007

What's funny is I wear a lot of black slacks (leftover from my office days) and they show the first sign of messiness in the classroom. I get used to that professional but messed up look.

I agree about layers. My classroom is too hot for me but the teacher is too cold natured. By contrast, the playground is freezing.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

But most of it has been deleted.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

Oh, I found our posts from last night...I looked this morning and didn't see them on the chit chat...but they are there now...

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2007

I'll be serious for once, even though it's hard for me to do. I teach Preschool, so have many choices. I like khakis and sweaters. I have jeans and lovely shirts of all kinds...beaded hippie shirts and conservative button ups. I wear skirts and split skirts with tights and klippity klop shoes(here I go again,) and I wear make up every single day, light make up and ALWAYS wild unruly hair. I wear glasses that have sparkles and glasses that make me look smart...but mostly I wear a smile and never ever do I wear a suit. I like to move and breath and roll on the floor with my kids. I like to dance ballet and the cha cha and I like to spike my hair up high or waaaaaay out like a clown whenever things are getting boring during the day.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2007

Hey, Grammy!! You have so much to offer (when you're serious and when you are funny!) I think Wong would agree that you ARE wearing what is appropriate to your classroom learning environment!!

And as Annie says "You're never fully dressed without a smile....":D

30. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2007

I rotate between black and khaki pants and a nice sweater, button down shirts, and an occasional "fancy" top!

Comfortable shoes are a must.

31. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

Nothing special here. One of my white with navy blue sleeved polo shirts. Jeans if it's winter, shorts if it's half decently warm. Sneakers with white socks. If it's cool or winter, I'll put on my trusty zip up vest (can't remember the last time I wore a windcheater to work - working in a double room building with women, they have that heater on quicker than greased lightning).

If I'm playing indoor cricket after work though, replace the white with blue sleeved polo for my cricket team's polo.

Nothing fancy, but nothing that wouldn't be accepted in most decent establishments. Mind you, the private school across town wouldn't let me walk in the gate dressed like that.

On the odd occasions I have to wear black slacks, shirt and tie at work (band performances and what not) the kids fire right up and REALLY let me have it!

'Mr V looks like a right dill!!'

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2007

Today: Charcoal slacks and light purple with charcoal/white thin "v" shape pin stripes button up/collar shirt.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2007

Back to school today--black pants, cream turtleneck (my classroom is freezing!) and black faux leather jacket. I've been digging through my closet for my light blue scarf to put around my neck, but can't find it. I'll probably start the day in my black pointy-toed boots, but will switch to the "comfies" by lunch time.

34. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 8, 2007

Still to hot here. White leather sandals (Dr Scholl's), navy cotton knit capris, navy/red plaid short sleeve Liz Claiborne blouse. Can't wait for that cool front to get here tomorrow!

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2007

Wow! We are wearing snow suits around here!

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2007

Grammy, can you believe the temperature change? UGH! I wish it was like last week ALL winter long! I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2007

Yea, but today we were outside for about 45 minutes and it was so sunny and no wind...just beautiful. Maybe we'll get a bit of snow tonight. That's the rumor. Exuse me...my black cat is knocking at the back door...seriously! He knocks!

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2007

Have you been to the school to see what the others are wearing? Schools vary SOOO much in that area. The school where I did my student teaching, the school where I taught my first two years, and the school I'm in now are VERY different with teacher clothes.

You can't go wrong with classic & conservative.

I love clothes, so I've got some of everything.