What do you wear

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Aug 30, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

One of the good things (if slightly sneaky) about subbing is that you don't need a large wardrobe. You're in different places and don't usually work all five days every week, so it's easy to live with just a few pairs of slacks and some tops...not that a sub can afford much more anyway;).

My largest issue is shoes. I can't buy inexpensive ones at, say DSW because they only carry medium width and I'm more comfortable in a wide width. And since I stand up all day long, I need some well made, durable and comfortable shoes.

Suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. pjlmom

pjlmom Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

what to wear

I wear black pants, comfortable black clogs and a colorful top. Its great being a sub. If your not in the same school, you can wear the same outfit twice . I never put on jeans like the teachers do on Friday, it's hard enough getting respect. :lol:

5. azure

azure Companion

Aug 30, 2010

Here's an internet shoe store I like better than Zappos:

www.endless.com And, of course, there's free shipping both ways.

I think they have better prices. I like Clarks, Naturalizers, and Hush Puppies for comfort.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 30, 2010

It's really the best part...I don't ever wear jeans unless I'm subbing in the pre-k/preschool. You never know what type of substance you'll come in contact with on those days!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 31, 2010

I'm a real clothes horse & have enough clothing to wear something different for mos. With any kind of fashion item, I like getting good quality stuff on sale rather than a lot of cheap, low quality stuff. Regarding shoes, I think they're worth paying a good amt for because our feet are very important. We're on them all day & we should want a good quality shoe.

If any of you have a J Stephens shoe store, they carry numerous brands known for high comfort & quality. Here's their site. These brands are also sold at dept stores.

http://www.shoesjs.com/index.php

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2010

At the HS where I sub most often, I'll occasionally wear jeans (I wore them all summer) and I often wear a school-colors t-shirt on Fridays. All other schools, I wear black slacks with a blouse, or t-shirt with a blazer.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 31, 2010

MY favorite comfy, yet appropriate, shoes are Cobby Cuddlers from Kmart. I don't NEED wide width, but often buy them because they seem more comfortable to me. They last a while and are pretty inexpensive.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2010

I wear black Nikes and Skechers - even with slacks :)

11. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 31, 2010

Oh goodness, the first day, I wore some cute, low shoes that I THOUGHT were comfortable. They are normally, but they aren't made for standing for hours at a time. My feet were so sore! Fortunately, I have some really soft, comfortable shoes and I typically wear those. I wish I could wear slippers to work!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 1, 2010

Important Reminder! :)

Remember to leave a pair or two of shoes that you KNOW are comfy in your car at all times that will go w/ any outfit. That way, if you find yourself w/ sore feet 2 hrs into the day, you can easily change.

ALSO, keep a button down sweater in the car so when you go to these different classrooms & it's freezing, you'll be prepared.

13. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I usually wear a nice top, with short or long sleeves and that covers 'everything' and a pair of, usually, black pants or a mid-long skirt with leggings underneath. I mainly work with young ones so am bending over, sitting on the floor, doing all sorts of things so go for comfort while trying to look professional. And always flat shoes. I also keep a pair of dress shoes and plain coloured coat in the car.

14. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Sep 2, 2010

I was surprised yesterday to see a sub teacher in the prep (4-5yr olds) room wearing a pair of thongs (flip flops). It didn't look professional and also I thought all it takes is for a child to drop a block or somthing and she could easily injure herself.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2010

Not a sub.

But right now I'm dressesd for work.

I'm wearing a teal T shirt, a black and teal skirt, stockings, and black "I love comfort" pumps from Sears.

16. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

When I first started subbing, I wore a skirt each day. I really wanted to look professional. I started in March of that year. On my very first day at the high school, I found that most of the afternoon was devoted to a mock accident outside, complete with ambulances and helicopters. I had to sit on the ground and the wind kept flipping my skirt up. It was a miserable couple of hours and I haven't worn one since! I don't want to be taken by surprise again. :eek:

I have a variety of black and brown pants and comfy tops that don't wrinkle much. Some are the crinkle style and others are simple pullovers. I have a couple pairs of Dr. Scholl's style shoes or something similar. I have found that they get my best when I am completely comfy, but feel good about how I look!