What do you wear to work?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Jun 28, 2014.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

I'm just curious. My fellow teachers that I met at a recent in-service told me that my P is pretty laid back about work attire, as long as we aren't wearing t-shirts all of the time.

As a new teacher, I don't want to be overdressed, but I don't want to look like a slob either! I definitely think a blazer/suit type outfit would be too much for my school setting, but that nice shirts and dress pants, capris, skirts, or khakis would be fine.

It got me wondering...what is your school like as far as wardrobe? Do you have jean Fridays? What do you feel overdressed/under dressed in?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2014

I wear dresses most of the time. I do have a few pairs of dress slacks and capris and a few skirts. I wear mostly heels (sandals) in warm weather and boots in winter.

We do have jean Fridays. Sometimes I wear them. Other times not. I'm not a fan of jeans.

Our school is pretty casual. We aren't allowed to wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops, flip flops, sweats, short dresses, see-through clothes, or anything that shows cleavage. Men have to wear a collared shirt.

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I wear nice pants and a blouse 90% of the time. Occasionally a dress. We do not have "Dress Down" Fridays; jeans are never allowed. We are allowed to wear school-related t-shirts as long as it's not with jeans or shorts. We are not allowed to wear sneakers unless they're all black and not too sneakery looking (like Converse hightops). No flip/flops, ofc.

I like the image we promote- it's very professional. I rarely see someone that I feel is inappropriately dressed.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

My advice with a new school is to overdress until you're comfortable going with what others are wearing.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

We have a strict dress code. Professional dress only. No khakis, no jeans, no polos, no sneakers. Men have to wear ties. People have been sent home if they aren't dressed professionally.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

I don't usually wear dresses or skirts. I'm a dress pants and sweater kind of person. Layering is my friend. On jeans days, I usually pair it with a nice top unless it is spirit day or something.

Taken from Pinterest, but something like this is what I wear (minus the scarf- I like them but I usually ditch them well before the kids get there!)
    [​IMG]

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 28, 2014

Don't wear something with a logo. People can overreact and be irrational! I got in trouble when I wore my Guinness T-shirt on Field Day. I was told to change.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

I don't think logos in general are typically a problem on casual days like Field Day, but beer logos are not appropriate. Not even on workdays, IMO.

10. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

These are my schools standards of dress:

•-style dress shirts, dress-style polos and blouses with or
    without collars (can be button-down or plain front)
    • Business-style dresses
    • Dress slacks, khakis or skirts; dress pantsuits
    • Jackets desired
    • Ties optional but desired
    • Dress sweaters or turtlenecks
    • Dress capris or cropped pants that are at least mid-calf in length
    • Belts for belted pants or skirts
    • Dress shoes or sandals that do not resemble
    flip-flops

Most people just wear the bare minimum to be considered professional.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

Since this is your first year I would dress to impress. I'm not saying wear a suit or blazer but make sure your outfits are a step up from casual. Don't take queues from other teachers in your building who have worked there longer or are tenured.

Honestly I enjoy shopping for work clothes, there's a lot of really cute items out there. My go to stores are NY&Company and Old Navy. Generally affordable and nice options.

I like the pic that giraffe posted, that's your typical teacher outfit...minus the scarf.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2014

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

At my school most teachers and staff dress very casually, even my P wears tennis shoes, khakis and polo shirts (she said just in case she has to tackle someone in a fight, and she wasn't joking lol).
    A couple of staff members dress nicely, but most, especially male teachers are VERY casual.
    I don't care. I'm probably the most dressed up person in there, but that's how I feel comfortable.
    Warm / hot weather:
    skirt + tops (often just tanktops or T shirts) + cardigan, sandals
    capri pants + top (same as above)
    My rule is if a T shirt / tank top, etc is tight, a cardigan is needed.
    I often wear dresses.

Cold weather:
    - often the same outfit, skirt but with a sweater + boots, or T shirt and a thicker cardigan
    - a dress with boots + cardigan
    - dress pants + tops.

On Fridays it's casual day, so I wear jeans. My skirts / dresses are never shorter than my knees or maybe just an inch above. Some days I'm more dressed than others, but I know a blazer / suit would be too much.

I say dress the way you feel comfortable, somewhat adjusted to your school's atmosphere. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed, especially being new at a school.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

No dress code in my district. The Master Agreement states: "Professional Attire" which is very subjective.

Anyway, the majority of teachers at my site wear nice jeans and a blouse. Nothing too fancy--not too sloppy, either!

When I worked at the middle school, some of the male teachers (classroom teachers...not P.E. teachers) wore sweats or track pants daily. Ugh.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

Our Union says that we can wear whatever we want and we do. Some (a few) teachers at my school dress up, others wear jeans every day. Some (a few) wear a tie or heels, while others will have on sneakers, sweat pants, leggings, or shorts.

I wear dresses or t-shirts, hoodies and jeans. Sperrys or boots (in the winter) on my feet. It all really just depends on my mood that morning.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 28, 2014

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 28, 2014

I wear dresses, skirts, capris, dress pants, sweaters, blouses, cardigans and blazers... mix and match any of those and you have a typical outfit for me. I do wear jeans about once a week but always pair it with nice shoes, a blouse and a blazer.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 28, 2014

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

We aren't allowed to wear jeans at all ever! We also have a no t-shirt policy, even spirit shirts are not allowed. We do get to wear a t-shirt once a six weeks when we have our reading rally. We also order class shirts and so on field trip days, and other designated days we an wear these t-shirts. Our shirts pretty much have to have a collar. I wear khakis, capris, and always a nice blouse. I can wear tennis shoes and do most days. I have feet problems so I must be comfortable. I am not a dress person so if I wear one it's somebody's funeral or wedding. lol

21. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I wore nice dress shirts and dress pants no heels but nice shoes. Also cardigans. I heart cardagans and wore them often also. Once a week we had collage day where you could wear a school shirt and jeans. Many colleagues though wore jeans daily and school shirts as long as a tee-shirt was school or college related it was ok. Some others wore like dress shirt tie and black pants daily.

22. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

Good to know, everyone! I am not a huge t-shirt person so probably won't wear them often. We do have jean Fridays, which I am looking forward to!

A typical outfit for me would be dress pants, a nice shirt, a cardigan, and flats. That's probably what I'll wear through most of the year.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

I wear dresses most days. My last school had jeans day on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure if my new school will have a jeans day.

24. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I shop at Kohls. Because I'm so short, I overdress to appear older and distinguish myself from the students. I wear dress slacks (black, light brown, brown, grey) with a fancy blouse and sometimes a blazer (brown, black, grey, and pink). I wear mini boots with shoelaces that have a thick heel, not pumps. No casual days for me, even though our school allows casual Friday. I'm surprised by how unprofessional most of the staff dresses. If I worked as an Ed tech I'd really stand out...

25. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

It literally depends on the day. Sometimes I wear a nice dress with a cardigan, and other days I wear khakis with a plain (nice) t-shirt. I almost always wear closed toed shoes, but that's just because I seem to have balance issues sometimes when I wear sandals. I have to change students' diapers with the job I have, and I want to be as safe as possible.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

p.s. I wear jeans whenever we are allowed which is usually like 4-5 times a school year when different clubs have to raise money for things.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

My dress is fairly casual--dress pants, capris, skirts, blouse, long-or-short-sleeved tee, cardigan, blazer or jacket, school shirt, etc...
    I do often wear jeans on Fridays, but with a nice shirt.

While I was coaching Girls on the Run, which started immediately after school, I often wore my coach's shirt in the afternoon as I didn't have time to do a complete change of clothes. The GOTR logo on the shirt was absolutely appropriate.

28. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

No khakis??? :eek:

29. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 28, 2014

I dressy really plain and simple. Dress shirts or capris with a nice shirt or cardigan sweater. For shoes I wear flats or in the warmer months flip-flops. I'd hate not being able to wear my Yellow Box! :eek:

I know it's not any of my business, but what some other teachers wear - :dizzy:. Some teachers wore leggings last year with shirts that didn't cover their butt. I really don't think that looked professional...at all. To each their own, though.

30. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

REALLY? I love leggings myself, but under a dress if you are wearing them to work, for sure!!!!!

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2014

I don't even own a pair of khakis. I absolutely hate them. They make me look frumpy, and so many people who wear them to work look like they slept in them.

32. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

My district is pretty casual. I wear a lot of dresses, skirts, nice slacks, and ballet flats. I almost always wear jeans and spirit shirts on Fridays (along with the rest of the staff). We don't have a dress code.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Thankfully I work in a totally casual school (I work in a site school for students with severe behaviors). I wear jeans about 99% of the time. Most people wear jeans, leggings or shorts. If anyone dresses up they are always asked where they are going :lol:.

34. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

This is also what I consider causal.

It's funny to see what some people consider casual. I see a lot of people saying they dress casual, but then they say they only wear jeans and a t-shirt once a week. To me, casual is wearing jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sweats, shorts, leggings, etc. every single day. Anything more is dressy.

35. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

I know! I consider anything dress pants with a nice shirt, or a dress, to be professional.

36. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I love khakis. I usually buy the colored ones and wear them a lot. Of course, I do iron them. Dress pants make me sweat a lot for some reason.

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2014

With it being your first year, dress at least business casual.

38. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 28, 2014

This thread inspired me to go make a "teacher clothes" board on my pinterest.

39. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I wear dress pants or khakis, long sleeve dress shirt, and a bow tie almost every day (bow ties don't flap, dangle, or get in the way like regular ties). I tend to be dressed less casually than my colleagues, but I prefer professional attire at work.

I'm starting at a new school in the Fall, and I'm not sure how professional or casual teachers dress there yet, not that I'm likely to change my sartorial habits.

40. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

OMG! Ohh giraffe is that you?? You are so adorable!!! Awwww:)

41. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

Nope. Stolen from Pinterest.