What do you wear to work?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Aug 5, 2011.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

Hi all,
    I am just wondering because I am going to have to buy new clothes for the fall... not a smaller size unfortunately. I had a baby about 6 months ago and, sadly, haven't lost the baby weight yet. I am working on it though. I know that I will be losing but in the meantime I want to buy some basics I guess that will be able to mix and match and be easy but look professional. What do you all wear to work? Any thoughts? Ideas?
    :)
    I have a few gift cards to The Loft and am hoping to shop either there or Old Navy or Kohls but I am open if you have an suggestions...:wub:

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2011

Do you like to wear skirts/dresses? I think they are so much easier to fit than pants. If you manage to lose your baby weight, you'll still be able to wear them (since they won't look bad a little looser, or you could even easily pin a skirt) and you won't have to just throw them out like you would if you bought bigger pants. If I were you, I'd buy maybe a black pair of pants, a khaki pair, and then some skirts/dresses. I really like wearing dresses though, which I know most people don't, so it's up to your personal taste!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

I love wearing dresses. That's what I was thinking although they have to be long enough that I can sit on the floor. Hoping I can find some cute ones. Good ideas. I think you're right. A pair of black, khaki and a few tops to mix and match and some dresses will see me through I hope!!!!!!!!

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 5, 2011

I've got standard khakis, black pants, and grey pants. Unfortunately, I can't find any other pants that fit because I...um...got rather large recently. And I did not have a baby. :lol: I have been getting by on those pants, solid colored shirts, and various cotton dresses. Target is my friend. Most of their cotton dresses are on sale for $20 right now.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 6, 2011

I agree with a black and khaki pair of pants...although I live in capris until November! I also love skirts that hit me right past the knee and a cotton top. In the winter I wear lots of pants and tops with cardigans. I teach kinder so I'm in the floor all day...especially the first few weeks when I sometimes have to hold on to a screaming child to keep them from bolting for the door! So dresses are not an option! ;) I have been pregnant three of the past four years so I'm thrilled to be wearing anything other than maternity!:) lol I still have 5 pounds to go to be at my pre, pre, pre baby weight!:) Haha! You'll get it off!!! ;)

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

I really like the tube top dresses that can double as a skirt - since the top is stretchy, it'll still fit as you lose weight. And it's nice and flow-y so it's easy to move around and get down on the floor.

(Plus you can use it as a dress on the weekends :))

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

I don't 'do' skirts and our school is quite casual as far as dress is concerned. I usually wear dress pants (black, grey, khaki, brown) with nice top and jacket or cardigan. While the weather is hot, I substitute capris for the pants and lose the jacket. I have a couple of pairs of heels that I wear almost never; I wear nice flats or sandals--I'm always on the run somewhere!

9. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I work at a private orthodox Jewish school. When I started the dress code was a COMPLETE culture shock to me. I have to wear skirts that are minimally below the knee and shirts that cover my chest and arms to my elbows. At first I hated it but now I loveeee the skirts. They're so flow and comfortable. I live in Florida so it gets very hot, on super sweaty days I wear bikershort leggings under the skirt to stay comfy. Marshall's/ tjmaxx has tons of super cute skirts. As for shirts I wear a semifancy shirt with a full coverage 3/4 sleeve shirt underneath in a matching color. When I'm not at work I started wearing alot of summer dresses because I got so used to the comfort of skirts.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

Look for wrap-style dresses - very easy to adjust as you lose the weight. I pin mine to avoid wardrobe malfunctions!

I also wear a lot of tunic-type tops. Longer tops hide a huge amount of imperfections. In the winter, I have several comfy sweater dresses that I wear with leggings and boots. So comfy, and it looks nice.

My school is sort of "casual Friday" all of the time, though. No one EVER wears a suit and our only male (our behavior guru) has never worn a tie to school. I don't know if I would wear the leggings and long sweaters in a more formal school.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

Thank you all! These are great suggestions!!!! I just want to look professional and hide MANY imperfections to the best of my ability!

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2011

Lots of sales right now so it's a good time to pick up some bargains. Everyone knows by now that my favorite store is Talbots for classic clothes. They are having an extra 50% off sale prices right now. I wear mostly slacks, dress shirts and a jacket or cardigan. They have lots of good choices for under $20.

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Those that wear skirts/dresses, do you wear hose?
    It's tooo hot for hose here and long pants too! I know so many leave off the hose now-a-days but for some it's just not very flattering to be without them. :)

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

I rarely wear them. I wear them only if the skirt or dress comes to the knee, not past it, or for a special event after school. Other than that, I have this fake tanner stuff that I use that balances out my skin tone a bit and takes away the scary glow. I hate hose, but sometimes in the winter I'll wear a thicker stocking or tights.

15. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

Living in Florida... heckkkk no! Lol! The only time I wear hose is when I'm wearing a tighter fitting pencil like skirt which is very rare. Its much too hot and kids don't care.:thumb:

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

Absolutely no hose. I wear tights when it's cold but hose are a little too old for me.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2011

No way - I'm in FL, as well. It is too stinkin' hot most of the year to deal with that sort of torture! But I will wear hose or tights when the temp drops in the "winter."

As for pants, I try to find nice, light materials. Linen with a light lining, etc. I do have a couple pair of wool pants for those weird cold days.

18. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

I just bought a bunch of dresses at the Ann Taylor Loft store in Westbrook, not sure if you are close to that or not.

Having gained a few pounds myself this past year :( I am going with tan, black and denim capris scattered with my new dresses.

19. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 7, 2011

My situation is similar to yours, only backwards. I am currently 5 months pregnant and am steadily gaining weight. So I am looking for clothes I can wear to work until December without breaking my bank. With weight fluctuations I like to wear dresses that hit just below the knee. I always wear either capri or biker short length leggings underneath. That way if I end up not sitting the correct way it's not the end of the world. These also help with "chub rub" under the dress in warmer weather too!

20. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 7, 2011

Oh and I should also note that I had a bit of a budda belly before getting pregnant and I found that empire waist tops and dresses were the most flattering and forgiving of my shape when it did fluctuate.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 7, 2011

Pantyhose? A lot of the teachers at my school wear skirts and dresses but I don't think I've ever seen them wear pantyhose. My mom is a teacher, too, and I don't think I've ever seen her wear 'em, either.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

My most popular option is a suit. I just got 4 of them upstate at the Kaspar outlet for $175 :) :) (Along with 4 pair of dress shoes for $95).

But I wear either a pants suit with heels or a skirt/blouse or suit or dress, all with pantyhose.

23. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

At my school we can wear jeans as long as we dress it up with a nice blouse.
    I stick with skirts and jeans. You could do longer skirts. Old Navy has a nice selection of them, or used to.
    I also so some at Marshalls yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  24. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2011

I also must wear pantyhose with skirts. When my boys graduate from college, maybe I'll invest in some plastic surgery to fix the spider veins but until then, everyone is happier if I wear nylons.

25. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I completely agree. I bought two a couple of weeks ago. I love it. The only problem is finding a strapless bra for my girls or a decent short cover that I can wear which only covers my bra straps and small part of back showing above the dress. I just been wearing collared shirts made of thin-material in which the length of these shirts reach my hips.

I usually wear dress pants and skirts with a very nice shirt. I have lost weight recently and find myself having to worry about elastic dress pants that I bought to not slide down when I bend over :eek::dizzy: I don't like wearing belts because of the way my stomach is shaped. So, I got rid of them and bought cheap pants in smaller sizes. Sometimes, I may be wearing different pants of the same color at least 3 times a week. I really don't care about changing the color of my pants every day because I like black, dark blue, and sometimes beige for my dress pants. Especially black. Plus, I buy multiple pairs of cheap pants. One time, I had one kid ask me why I wear the same black pants every day. I told them that they are different. Then, I ask him why was he so worried about what I wear. :lol: These middle school boys notice everything. They will make positive and negative comments about my clothes, my hair, my nails, and etc. Luckily I don't really care what they think most of the time. It can be sometimes scary because I have to be on my toes on my clothes and can sometimes wear me out when they are trying to be mean if I having a bad day or week.

26. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

I wear dress pants and blouses or nice knit tops. I never wear skirts because I like to sit on the floor or outside in the grass when it's nice.

27. Genni

Genni New Member

Aug 7, 2011

Kohl's has some REALLY cute dresses (make sure you check online, too, because they have a LOT of stuff that is "online only!") -- I buy the bulk of my school wardrobe from Kohl's :) I usually stick to simply, solid-color or simple print dresses, knee-length skirts, solid v-neck or scoop-neck tees, button-down sweaters (to go over a shirt or dress), loose-fitting slacks (in fact, I still wear a pair of maternity slacks -- and my baby is now 11 months only, LOL!) and a couple "boyfriend" jackets. Sticking to solid colors and black/neutral-colored skirts makes it very easy to mix-and-match a skirt or pair of slacks with almost every top I have. Target & Old Navy also have some really simple, everday stuff that won't break your budget, especially important for a "temporary" wardrobe.

And I just wanted to let you know -- PLEASE don't follow the "9 months up, 9 months down" rule or beat yourself up if you don't return to your pre-baby weight by a specified date. I had this crazy idea that I was going to be back down to a size 4 in 3 months, and I almost starved myself for the first 4-5 weeks trying desparately to get my old stomach back. It took a few trips to a physchologist & a lot of prodding and encouragement from my husband, but I finally understood that my body had just gone through some very extreme physical and emotional changes, and that I would need far more than a few months to recover from that. I stopped trying to diet and picked up some light cardio around 8 monts post-partum, after the baby started sleeping through the night consistently and I felt like I had the energy. I also noticed that, after I stopped trying to push myself so hard, a lot of the weight started to come off naturally around the 7-8 month mark. I'm now at 11 months post-partum I have about 15-20 pounds to go, which I consider a huge success, especially since I gained around 70-80 pounds by the time I gave birth!

Also keep in mind that if you are still nursing, you NEED extra calories to be able to keep up with your baby's needs! Nursing also burns a lot of calories, so if you are still nursing, do not start dieting until after the baby has been weaned!

Hang in there :) Your body needs to recover and once it does, it'll begin to "snap" back to its old self at it's own pace :)

28. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

I think the most important thing is that you are comfortable. And by that I mean that you feel good about yourself in the clothes and are not self-conscious. Babies are also expensive so you want to focus on finding things that will work + or - 20 pounds....like skirts and pants with elastic vs buttons. I wouldn't go slouchy, but you can find comfy, stylish options.

29. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

I love Loft and J.Crew b/c of their teacher discounts. Especially J.Crew b/c all you have to do is just show them your idea. (For Loft you just go to their website, sign up and print out a coupon, very easy but you need it when you shop.) I also like Banana and Gap b/c I have their credit card and they give good rewards.

I wear a lot of dresses and skirts, especially in the early fall/early summer/late spring when its so hot still in the classroom. For the winter I always try to get a few different neutral cardigans that can go with anything when the classroom is a little colder in the winter.

30. loveallkids

loveallkids Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

What am I missing? What do you mean "too old" for you? OMG, I must be old! I've never heard this!! :huh:

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

It's a generational thing. My mom wore hose (with the girdle at the top feature) all the time. Like, under jeans. (This changed when she moved to Florida.) When she quit, it took her forever to get used to wearing them because she never left home without them on until then.

I HATE wearing them, and only will for special occasions. I rarely wore them as a kid, and when I did (usually to church) I'd excuse myself in the middle, go to the bathroom, take them off and put them in my purse. Most women my age have not regularly worn hose, and I usually associate them with people my mom's age.

32. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

For the last 2 years, I had to wear a uniform to work!!! :( Thankfully this year I'll be able to pick out my own clothes like an adult.

33. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

Wow Miss84!! A uniform? Glad you will be able to choose your outfits now!

34. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Yes! A blouse/skirt MWF, color specific polo/slacks T, Thurs.-pretty.****.ridiculous.
    *PS this uniform was not weather specific, meaning even when it snowed, we still had to wear skirts!! And boots weren't allowed either-but I still wore them (and was written up). I wasn't coming to work in 6 inches of snow in flats.:dizzy:

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

I dress in casual-professional & just casual attire. In my district, people can wear jeans M-F if they want. I'm NOT a jeans, t-shirt, sneakers kind of gal. I'll dress jeans up w/ a pretty top & boots or other nice shoes w/ some jewelry. I only really wear sneakers to go to the gym.

The stores who's styles are good for work are:
    (they all have websites)

New York & Co. - some things I like

Express - on the sexier side, but there's always something you can find for work

Anthropologie - very nice work clothing

Banana Republic

Zara - hpoefully you have a location near you www.zara.com

Macy's - I love the brand Inc. & some others

Cache - certain things, www.cache.com

Nordstrom - my FAVORITE store

Nordstrom Rack - you can find something good if you look

Athleta - Certain things, www.athleta.gap.com

Chico's - www.chicos.com/store/home.jsp?CMP=KNC-GOOG_BRAND

J. Jill - www.jjill.com