What do you want your students to have mastered before coming to First Grade?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by zoey'smom, Sep 26, 2009.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I know every school is different. At our last School improvement, each class wrote down what they wanted their students to know already, what they would introduce that year and what they wanted their students to master by the end. I found it very interesting what our First Grade teachers wanted their students to know. I was just wondering what do you want your students to know before they come to you?

3. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

If students come to me knowing all their letters, all their letter sounds, about 20-25 sight words, and numbers up to 50, I'm pretty happy. I can work with that! If nothing else, it is absolutely CRITICAL that your student can identify every letter of the alphabet on sight, and know all his/her consonant sounds.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2009

Also being able to write their full name & numbers.
    I would think more sight words than 20-25, but maybe that was the district that I worked in.

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 3, 2009

In addition to knowing letters/sounds, number to 50, etc. I love that our Kindergarten teachers teach routines a TON. How to walk in the halls, how to say "please" and "thenk you", how to wash hands, drink from the water fountain, how to behave when sitting on the carpet, etc. Makes my job easier! I also love when K teachers teach "I statements". "I feel sad when you don't let me play with you." Instead of "You're not my friend!" Yahoo for all the learning that takes place in K!

6. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

Our school has been doing vertical teaming. Our team sat down together and developed a list of the top three things for each subject area that we wanted our kids to know when they entered our grade. While we all want our kids to have a strong foundation in all subject areas we also keep in mind that many things we want our kids to know may not be developmentally appropriate for 5-6 year olds. So, our list seems very light as compared to the posts I've read in this thread.

When students come to me in first grade I like it when they are reading at a DRA level 3. Does that always happen? NO! It is helpful for kids coming to my first grade class to know all letters of the alphabet by sight (not in order) and knowing all consonant sounds. Know the top 20 most frequently used words by sight (the, a, and, I, etc...).

In writing, I want my kids to not have a fear of writing. I will take anything they give me on paper including a picture that they can describe or "tell" me about. I find that fear is their biggest obstacle for writing. If they are afraid of not spelling words correctly or being wrong if they have errors in conventions (using capitol letters or lowercase letters correctly, punctuation, etc...) they will write less and use boring words.

In math they need to know (by sight) numbers 1-20. I like it when incoming first graders have 1:1 correspondence with manipulatives. They also need to know plane (2-D) shapes.

What are your first grade teachers expecting?

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2009

Most of the above is what we expect. I would like to see them come to me writing their name using an upper case letter ONLY at the beginning of their name.

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Oct 18, 2009

Thank you everyone for responding. I have been very busy, as we just bought a new house and just got moved. So sorry for the late response.

One reason I posted this question, came from our SIP meeting where I found out what the First grade teachers expected the kindergarten teachers to be teaching. I should also mention that I taught First Grade for five years before I moved to Kindergarten. So it is not like I don't know what they teach in First grade. This is my third year in Kindergarten. So I thought maybe I had my expectations low. Has First Grade changed that much.

Here are a few things they wanted:
    I agree with most but a few I think is too much for Kindergarten.

- know all their letters and sounds.
    -Write their first and last name.
    -know all the kindergarten site words
    - they should be taught and understand long vowels.
    - Count to 100
    - Be able to write three sentences with capital letter and an end mark.
    - Be able to do simple addition and subtraction
    - Count by 2's, 5's and 10's to 100

The list did go on, but these are the ones that stood out to me. I agree with some of them, but I am having a hard time with the long vowels. We talk about them but I don't really teach them. Also the counting by 2's to 100. We are happy if they can by 2's to 20. This year my class is very low so I don't know how much we are going to get done. The good news is we are making progress very quickly.

Thanks again for responding. I was just wondering what the expectations were where you taught.