What do you want to change for next year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 8, 2014

This was my first year back in a classroom after a two year break, and my first time in a functioning, sane, we've-got-it-together school in 7 years. I felt like I was just keeping my head above water, trying to make sure I was keeping up (still working on that) with the other teachers, keeping parents happy, playing whack-a-mole with social issues and figuring out the culture of the school.

With just two and a half months left (with a spring break and several 3 day weekends in there), I feel like we're on the downslide. I'm tuckered out by this group/year, but also feeling like I can make this third trimester an energized one. And I'm also really, really looking forward to starting fresh next year. I've been on Teacher Pay Teacher all day, looking at inspiring ideas and making my list of ideas I want to implement next year when I get to start fresh. I'm really trying to figure out how I want to approach open house at the beginning of the year and set the tone for homework and assessment expectations (my biggest nightmare so far). We had a small training last night on how to use Google Docs with the kids, and that got my brain turning. I really need to figure out how to smoothly bring technology into the classroom-I have the tools, I just need the programs and preparation.

Are any of you thinking ahead to next year already? Anything you wanted to do this year and didn't get to, or are going to devote time this summer to researching?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 8, 2014

Here's my list so far:

Reading:
    Insert each week for notebook with reading responses for individual books.
    Weekly focus
    Finish leveling library, make master list of book titles
    Partner reading? Group reading?
    Monthly book report?
    List of model texts for each standard

Morning Meetings:
    Leadership books
    Study skills

Assessment:
    Portfolio with each standard-gather proof of mastery
    POMS for math and ELA
    Student led conferences

Writing:
    Writing piece due each week
    Weekly focus
    Peer editing on Google Docs
    Where does Six Traits fit in to common core standards?
    Writing binder or just an interactive notebook?

Math
    http://www.storybookmath.org/
    Family math nights
    Cooperative performance tasks on Google Drive
    Dissecting word problems

Science
    Weekly labs
    Science skills on Tuesdays
    Unit study on Thursdays
    Science fair
    Lab reports

In General
    Kagan Cooperative learning
    Parent conferences first week of school-sign up on EB
    Re-vamp website-add in websites (research)
    Edmodo?
    iPad apps by subject, more iPad creation (podcasts, movies, etc.)
    Create Google websites?
    More use of the Smartboard-pre-created programs?
    List of safe websites for kids to visit on netbooks, by subject
    Investigate FB, Instagram for classrooms
    Postcard exchange
    More use of interactive notebooks

Open House reminders
    Homework due on Fridays
    Check Engrade for homework
    Classwork not finished becomes homework
    Classroom ‘mom’
    Solid list of volunteers-someone to keep up the website? Someone to organize papers to hand back?

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

It depends on what grade level I have. My principal is considering moving me to fifth or sixth. If I make that leap, I'll be changing a lot, by necessity. If I stay at third, my biggest goal would be to become more consistent at the times I tried to do this year.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 8, 2014

I also want to become more consistent next year. I think I thought I was being consistent, but there are times when I realize that I am not. I'm thinking it's not a thing you can just do in a year and I have to get in the habit of being consistent always.

I'd like to continue to build reasoning and argumentation into my labs, and I just went to a PD today about modeling, and I think it's fantastic but looks very difficult. I'll need to break it down and figure out how to scaffold it and figure out how to streamline it for my students.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 8, 2014

I want to do more with students setting goals and forming plans to achieve them.

Beyond that, I can't commit to anything. I am not sure what I'll be teaching next year. There are mumblings about co-teaching and/or departmentalizing SPED. I may only be teaching 2 subjects. (PLEASE CROSS YOUR FINGERS!)

7. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 8, 2014

My wardrobe----this one's getting old!!

8. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

I have to worry about summer school before I think about next year. Since I am moving up to 10 and 11 grade honors classes, I have to have stricter policies which I love. My biggest concern is how I am going to teach next year since my school is supposed to be getting Chromebooks, wireless internet, and more SMART Board tools. But they also said they would pull the carpet out and replace it with tile, so far they pulled the carpet and cleaned it, but didn't put in tile. So, the 200, 300, 500, 600, and 700 building all have a concrete floor. I also want to do more projects.

P.S. the county is incharge of the remodeling and providing technology.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 8, 2014

Radiant-me, too!

10. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Mar 10, 2014

I discovered TPT and finally got the gist of Pinterest this past summer. I had a ton of stuff to implement and I was super excited about it.

What I've discovered is that I had TOO MUCH stuff to do and it wasn't realistic. My goal next year is to pick one or two things and make them great.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

That's quite an industrious plan, Jem! Being reflective on ones practices is a hallmark of an excellent educator...just know that you are doing a great job and to not take on too much. Small changes can result in big differences for your students! Love all your ideas...you've got me thinking!
    I'd love to know what you're doing with google docs! And yes, I love pinterest and TPT too! I think we should get PD credits for time sent pinning!:D
    Well probably be losing a team member next year...one will move to grade four due to population bubble moving up and smaller class sizes coming into third...haven't heard too much about the thoughts from admin on this...plus there may be some admin shifts (fingers crossed that this doesn't happen) due to MS principal getting a Supe job in another district....all of this is kind of consuming our thoughts right now so haven't thought too far into classroom practice changes...we are moving to online standards based report cards so there's one BIG change there...

12. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

I'm already excited about next year! I'm hoping for more fun school activities, like fundraisers, bake sales, pancake day, etc. We've had a lot of great feedback and a terrific response from the local community. I just hope we will have more opportunities to plan more next year.

Also, there are three colleagues I'd love to get to know better and to encourage them to have fun with us and be part of the team :) All of them were new this year and I'm afraid I didn't reach out as well as I could have. Next year I plan on wearing my welcome hat better.

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

I'm already READY for next year. :whistle:

I don't know about the rest of you, but this year's kinda been the pits. I have been out a lot with illness, my aunt passed away, and I bit off a little more than I could chew with grad school and several extra-curricular activities.

I like the idea of doing a couple things well versus a bunch of things that are mediocre.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

Would love to hear any ideas from everyone on the "forming Plans to achieve them" aspect.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2014

Have you ever heard of the Reading Above program? I use that with my kiddos... it's wonderful for having the students write their own specific reading goals.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2014

The too many ideas, too little time is always my problem.

Also, thinking too far ahead (next year) instead of being focused on the end of the year so I am trying not to think about it.

17. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

I'm guilty of this. Already I am planning, shopping, and thinking about next year instead of focusing on now and the remainder of this year.

I justify it by telling myself that the new school year will be here before I know it so I need to be ready before it sneaks up :cool:

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 10, 2014

I took a look at my list today and implimented several of the ideas while some of my kiddos worked in the room silently during study hall. I set up Spelling City and Wowzers for our class, updated the website links on my website and sent out a weekly newsletter to my parents (I'm not very good at getting that out every week). I also updated all my grades in Engrade.

Tonight I'm going to work on sending passwords out to parents for Google Docs and Wowzers. And look into how classrooms use Facebook and Instagram. I mostly want Instagram so I can take a picture of our homework list on the board everyday and send it out to parents. My parents seem to need 24/7 communication and information, which I'm just not very good at. I'm trying to think how to reach them where they are at.

I'm sure this list will last me a few years. There are things on here I've wanted to do for years and will probably want to still do 2 years from now. ;)

Just found out today they are eliminating a 1st grade position and adding a 3rd grade position due to projected numbers, so I'm praying the ripple effect doesn't bump me out of fifth. I'm the lowest on the totem pole right now. If it does, this list will look a LOT different for 3rd grade....

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 10, 2014

Czacza-as soon as I figure out what works with the kids, I'll send it on over to you! ;)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

Thanks!:thumb:

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 10, 2014

No, I'll have to look into it. However, it is not so much the setting of goals, it is the process of reaching the goals. I want the kids to reflect and understand that what they do AFTER setting a goal is the important part.