What do you want fifth graders to know when they come from fourth?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

Basically the same question as the title: (haha) :lol: What do you want fifth graders to know when they come from fourth? What can we do as fourth grade teachers to adequately prepare them for their next feat?

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 26, 2007

In California the fifth graders get tested on fourth and fifth grade science standards. I'm not sure if it works the same way in other states.
    Since we are only given time to teach fifth grade science, our students need to come to us with experiences that will help them retain those fourth grade concepts. This means hands-on-science rather than just having them read the textbook.

Thank you for the excellent question Ms. Jasztal! You truly amaze me.

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Basic math facts would be a huge help. I am amazed at how many don't know their multiplication facts and appalled at how many still add and subtract on their fingers.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Shouldn't they leave 4th grade fairly proficient in multiplication and division as well?

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2007

Long division with multi-digit divisors
    The basics of equivalent fractions
    How to locate places on a map
    Difference between county, country, and continent
    Ability to write a great paragraph

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Upsadaisy,
    How well (if at all) should they be able to disect a sentence into its separate parts?

8. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I agree. I had a handful of students who were still adding with their fingers last year. But I don't feel that it is the fourth grade teacher's responsibility to have those kids proficient with basic math facts because most likely they started fourth grade already way behind grade level.
    It's a sad, sad topic.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2007

pw - just subject/predicate, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

Thank you! This is nice. I try to get them ready in all the areas you mentioned by the end of the year. I'd love to see more. :)

11. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 29, 2007

You're right, it's not. Lower grades should be responsible for making sure students understand the facts for their grade level. But then succeeding grade levels have a responsiblity for maintaining that and requiring continued memorization.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

I think so. The kids should know their facts by 3rd grade, but when they go to extra support math with me, I don't think one kid I ever had in there knew his or her entire table. I had a few who were sort of close... but I know there are fifth graders who don't know what they need to know because they were still working on very basic math in fourth grade.

Most of the advanced math knows it going into fourth grade, though, and average math is a give-or-take.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 31, 2007

Here, Here!

I don't teach math but I am shocked by how many children don't know the basics, especially multiplication/division. I would also ask for basics in geography such as the difference between country and continent, names of the continents, ability to find the US, Canada, Mexico on a map (maybe a few of the more well known world counties as well like Japan, Russia, England, France). Basic parts of speech (noun, verb, adjective at least)-last year I had students who couldn't locate a noun in any sentence. I was stunned.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

It is really shocking. And it happens all the time. I had one student last year who couldn't find North America on the map.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

Although I agree that it is a sad situation (that makes me mad), I'm not that shocked. Has anyone watched Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments lately? Or perhaps that show where the cab driver is hosting his own game show in the cab? I can't understand why people would LIKE giving proof of their own stupidity on TELEVISION!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

The nouns, verbs, and adjectives... I had a former fifth grade teacher mention that to me! Mad libs are excellent to use, and the kids can even create them. I am having my fourth graders create them this year.

I think it's the third and fourth grade teachers probably assuming the kids know it. Probably when I was a newer teacher, I assumed they knew it and didn't cover it as well. Yet as time moved on, I got them trying more things with them... and they didn't have any excuses when they got to 5th.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I think it's because they are too confused to understand the fact they don't understand. :confused:

Let me rephrase that. :yawn: :huh:

They don't know basic things and don't have the basic common sense to know they are being made fools of on television. I guess that sounds better. :sorry:

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Well put, Ms. Jazstal!

Showing my ignorance again...What exactly are Mad Libs?

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2007

I use Mad Libs for time fillers, and the kids love them. The are one-page stories with words missing. Under the blanks it tells you what part of speech you need. For example:

Janie put her ________________ ____________ the _________________and ran ____________________from the house.

first blank; noun
    second blank; preposition
    third blank; noun
    fourth blank: verb ending in -ing

You get some pretty zany results.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 2, 2007

I guess what I meant was not just knowing examples of each part of speech but being able to locate them in a sentence.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks, runsw/scissors

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

You were in no way showing your ignorance! They're neat to write, though, and sometimes the students get a really good laugh out of them. :)