What do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ilovefirst, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I know this has been asked before. I have searched the forum and read the old posts. I was just wondering if anyone had any new versions.

What do you use for a plan book? Do you buy one or make your own? What is in it that you couldn't live without? (besides the weekly plan forms) If you make your own, how do you assemble it and what else do you put in it?

I have made my own for the last 3 years. I'm about to begin this adventure again, tweaking former designs. Last year I learned I need to add a birthday page. (Listing each month and the kiddos b-days under the month) I include a monthly calendar, weekly planning forms for the # of weeks in that month (with room for notes on the side), parent contact info, and any pre-made lesson plans I use. (that's all I can think of at the moment)

3. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 26, 2009

My first two years I did them on my own by typing them. But it became too much of a hassle for me. Last year I started using a premade lesson plan book and will be doing the same thing this year. I went to Lakeshore Learning the other and picked up every single plan book and ended up picking up the same one I used last year. I don't remember the supplier off hand but I'll find out.

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

I make a blank book (like you'd buy in the store) but block off my specials, recess, lunch when they actually are...I mean when you look at each day you see when I do reading workshop, math, recess, writing workshiop, PE, lunch, and an "other" column, etc. The times are listed at the top, days down the side, it's a two page spread. I hated filling in my specials in the books you'd buy (and I need to see my breaks-very visual!) Then I just copy and put them in between two hard laminated papers and bind it.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Our school supplies us with one. It's pretty basic, but I like it.

6. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I usually just get the free one they give out at Lakeshore.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I have a binder that has tabs for all my needs. I have a month view for math, but a self made weekly page for LA. I keep student info in it and stuff like that.

8. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I made my own template and typed my plans the last two years, but it becomes really time consuming and uses up a lot of ink! This summer I went to a local teacher supply store and got one called "The Complete Plan Book" by Carson-Dellosa. Hopefully it will work out well!

9. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Our school buys the Carson Dellosa plan books. (the wide blue ones with the yellow star on them) I can't remember exactly what they are called. I like them because they are nice and wide and have room to write lots of information.

OOOPS...Just found the name and number...CD 8205.... Teacher's Big Plan Book!

10. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

I used the one provided by my district. Last year I finally designed a template in Word that I liked really well, and began typing them. I'm not sure what I'll do this year, as I will have a LTS and she won't have access to my computer. Either handwrite those weeks, or leave blank templates for her to complete by hand.

I like typing them myself, because my objectives never change (special ed class). I also have multiple ability groups at the same time & I never had enough space to write out what was going on. It made sense to me, but a sub probably couldn't have picked it up & taught.

11. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Of the couple store bought ones I have used, that's the one I liked the most. But, I really don't like writing in things like lunch, recess, and specials OVER and OVER and OVER again. :dizzy:

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 27, 2009

This is exactly why I prefer to type. Once the template was designed to my liking, all the things that never change were in place and I never had to type them again! Plus my lessons would fit on one 8.5 X 11 page. I could see it not working as well for a regular classroom teacher with more subjects than me.

13. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 27, 2009

We are provided with a template for our lesson plans. All of our plans must be typed and turned in to the administration by Monday morning.

14. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I make my own template each year that has all my recess, lunch and specials. I also type up a section in the 6th column (each day is a column) that has my standards listed by number so that all I have to do is circle which standard I'm teaching as i make my plan. Then I have the standards down for the week so I can post them on a weekly basis (our students are required to be able to say which standard we are working on at any given moment.) Underneath that I have a small section for prep/notes so that I can keep track of what I need to get ready for the week and notes to remember. I love doing it this way. At one point I tried typing in it but found that too time consuming so I just make copies of it like a book and put it in a small binder. If you are interested you can pm me and I'll try to email you a copy I dont know how to post it here.

15. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I use excel and make my own. It blocks off specials and recess and such, and I give myself enough room to write in plans for each subject as well. On the far right, I have a column for any mtgs/events going on that week, birthdays that week (I fill in at the beginning of the year), and any notes I need to make too. It's a basic template for each week, that I copy and have spiral bound at staples. Then I just hand write the dates in and pencil in plans each week. I'll never do it differently! I can share if you'd like!

16. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

We have a program at school where you can put in your lesson plans, but it doesn't work well because it doesn't leave spots for areas we don't grade on but still teach. We use a table in Word to create our lesson plans. If you still want to write in a book but don't want to write the same thing over and over, use Avery labels to create labels for those areas that you just repeat weekly/daily.

17. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

I have an excel template that I used in secodn grade. I have all the non-changing things in there, so that makes it easy to not have to type it all over each week. Also, from year to year, I ust looked back and copied or pasted the good ideas, and scrapped the bad ones.

This year in Kindergarten, I am going to give it a try to make a new excel sheet, but I think I might make a template with all the regular stuff, then print it out and hand write the changing stuff each week. then I can do plans wherever I am. Like in front of the couch at night with a glass of wine LOL

18. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks for all the feedback. Before I went through the work of creating my own again, I thought I'd check to see if there was one out there that someone here loved. I think I'll use one of those mead flex binders to make it easier to write in (compared to a normal 3 ring binder - those rings always get in my way). Although, I'm now tempted to have it spiral bound at Staples. And I LOVE the idea of the Avery labels - GREAT idea wcvetwife.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :)

19. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

My first year I typed my lesson plans but I missed having the calendar portion of a typical plan book on the same page as my plan. I kept a calendar in my three ring binder but I found that I would forget to look at the calender when I typed up my plans. So, last year I typed my plans and then taped them into my wide plan book. This way, I could take advantage of all the extra features usually found in most commercial plan books (like student records, birthday calendar, to do list, etc.) while not having to rewrite everything each type I had to fill in my lesson plan. In the middle of last year I went to a two page template to have more room for my plans.

20. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I have all my old lessons saved on a drive and the paper copies in another notebook. I keep a binder on the front table in my room as my plan book. We also have to have sub information, etc. in there, so it's really easy. I used to write mine out by hand a few years ago, but typing is soooo much easier. Also, we are expected to email copies of our plans to the facilitators and admin. each week.

21. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I type my own lesson plans. It takes a while the first week to create the template with my daily schedule but it it SO worth it. It is very easy for Subs too because eveything is right there. I just type in the new plans into each little "box" of my template. I print out the new week of lesson plans every monday. I was keeping them on a clipboard last year, but I'm thinking of using a binder this year. My first few years of teaching I used one of those teacher bought lesson plan books, but will never do that again. I hate writing my schedule out over and over! The computer template covers that. :) Plus, if I didn't get to something the week before, it is still on my plans and I don't have to rewrite it!

I have a copy of one of my plans at my class website. Click on "for teachers" section:
    http://www.cps.k12.in.us/16722010285240807/site/default.asp

22. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I type them on a template I created so that I can avoid having to rewrite things that remain the same each week. I print them out and tape/glue them into the plan book the school provides.