what do you use?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LiterallyLisa, Oct 24, 2014.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Oct 24, 2014

My laptop stopped working. Its been good. Ive had it awhile, so Im okay with letting it go. My problem is what to replace it with.

What laptop/device do you use? I want an all in one. I want it to fit my personal needs (pinterest, shopping, videos, some games) and my professional needs (lesson plans, data tracking,gradebook)

Does anyone use an Ipad or tablet for both, or should I just stick with a laptop again? Suggestions welcomed.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2014

I prefer regular laptops to iPads because I dislike typing on iPads (or any tablet). My favorite laptops have always been Toshibas. They are fairly inexpensive and have all the specs I need. I've never been dissatisfied with a Toshiba. They are usually one of the hot brands at the Black Friday sales, which are coming up soon.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2014

I'd get the brand Lenovo. It's nice!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Lenovo's are pretty good - the build quality is decreased slightly in recent years when the laptop division was bought by a Chinese firm.

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 24, 2014

I have a MacBook Pro. Mine was the least expensive option back in late 2012. I'll never go back to a windows laptop for my personal use!

8. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 24, 2014

I use a MacBook Pro. I switched out the hard drive and put in one that has a 1 TB memory capacity. I also put in 16 MB RAM…I think it came with 4 MB RAM. At any rate, I'm quite happy with this configuration and hope to keep this for many years to come.

I also use an iPad Mini which is great for some apps as well as an eReader. The 3rd Gen iPad Mini has come out, which has driven the prices down on the 1st and 2nd Gen iPad Minis. In fact, I just bought another iPad Mini with 64 GB memory and WiFi + 4G for $389…can't beat that with a stick.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad and I love it. I bought it off my last company when I left and it's a workhorse-I'm going on my fourth year of using it and it's still going strong (knock on wood). It even fell out of my SUV the other day and hit concrete. It worked perfectly when I opened it. If it shuts down one day and won't re-start, I'll certainly be getting another.

I believe the model number is T420. That's what it says under my screen. I use it for both home and school. At home, I use my cutting machine software on it to craft and look forward to testing out my embroidery sewing machine software when I have a chance. At school I use my Elmo, Smartboard, scanner and a second monitor. I simply plug everything in each morning when I get the room.

I like iPads for when I'm lazy on the couch, but I certainly need a laptop for my hobbies and for school work. ;)

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

If you can afford it, I'd go with a MacBook. Tablets are good for some things, but I use my laptop way more.

I have a Samsung because I can't afford a MacBook. I don't have any problems with it, besides that it is a PC anyway!

11. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Oct 24, 2014

I'm really trying to wait...but idk if I can. I feel like I would be the same way about IPads...but the lazy in me had to ask.

Does anyone have problems or hassles going from Mac at home to pc at school?

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

MacBook Air - LOVE IT. My husband has been through 3 laptops and my MacBook hasn't missed a beat.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

My old district had Macs and I had a personal PC laptop. Pretty much no issues. Sometimes formatting can get wonky with certain programs, but it was never a big issue.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

I have a MacBook Air and love it. My new school uses Windows at school (for the past 6 years I was in a district with Macs) and there are times it feels a bit odd at home to make the switch back to the Mac. The bigger challenge for me is at school with Windows as I've never had to use it as my house has always been a Mac computer house. It's an awesome laptop and I'm thrilled with it. I personally wouldn't want a tablet to replace my laptop as I need a real keyboard.