What do you use the desk top pocket charts from the Dollar section at Target??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2010

I saw them, picked one up, walked around Target, and put it back because I couldn't think of what I would use them for.

3. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I have one in my third grade room to help me keep track of finished projects. I've taken index cards, cut them in half, and written each kid's name at the top of the card in red marker. On the back is the same name, but in green. I can fit four cards comfortably on each row (five if squished).

Whenever we do an in-class project that usually takes a few days to complete, I write the title of the project on a full index card and put it in the top row (every row under it has the name cards). I have the kids flip their cards from red to green when they are done. This is a quick visual way for me to see who still needs to get work completed.

When we're not doing a project, I just flip all the names back to red until we start up a new one. Usually "flipping your card" has a bad feeling attached to it, but the kids really like flipping their cards from red to green when they're done. Kind of like another sense of completion for them. :)

4. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I had the same thought when I saw them.. "This is neat, but what do I do with it?" I picked one up anyway, figuring at some point I'd find a use for it. Sdubb, thanks for sharing your idea! Something I would have never thought of! :thanks:

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

i just bought 4 today-couldn't resist! not sure what i'll use them for yet LOL

6. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I use them for our weekly schedule, spelling words and vocabulary words.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2010

Do you clip them on? Are you talking about the non-see through ones, right?

8. Kindergarten

Kindergarten Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

I just bought these today and plan to use them to take my daily attendance. I will put a name card for each child in the chart and have them flip their name over when they enter the class in the morning. The names left visible are the absent students.

9. mot

mot Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

Great ideas, thanks for sharing!

10. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I picked up a couple of these today. I will probably be using them for "I Can" lists at centers or spelling/vocabulary displays. I really like the attendance idea! :thumb: