What do you use for scissor/cutting skill samples for children's portfolio?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Aug 18, 2013.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Hi everyone,
    I will be putting together portfolios this year. I teach 4 year olds. What exactly do you use for a cutting/scissor skill sample? Do you make it yourself? Any help would be appreciated!

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

Since our program doesn't allow worksheets of any kind, I typically plan an activity to use as a sample. At the beginning of the year, I might plan a small group where students have to cut straight lines on paper to create grass, or snip pieces of paper to create a collage. Towards the end of the year, i'll have students cut out hearts for valentines day or a circle to create a self-portrait, and use all of those as portfolio pieces. I also use this: http://www.prekinders.com/pdf/scissorskills.pdf
    to keep track of scissor grasp and put that in their portfolio.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

I make my assessments myself, but I also use other cutting activities for informal assessments.

In the beginning of the year, I will provide the students three different lines (one straight, one curvy, and one like a W) to cut on.

In the middle of the year, I will give the students an egg shape to cut out.

At the end of the year, I use a craft that the students cut out to check cutting skills.

5. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

Cutting happens on a continuum, in my old full day program with my own printer (and at the expense of a lot of ink) I would snap a pic of someone using playdo and scissors to show that they could hold them properly. Then, later, the cut straight across skill would be captured (perhaps by snipping a paint card into little squares...this stage I called confetti). Then much later capture a pic in which the child had progressed to fringe and then far, far later into cutting a shape with the two hands working in tandem. But in my new two hr life, with shorter days and less contact....I am less sure of how to do this.

7. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 19, 2013

For assessments, usually the goal is to assess grasp and control. To measure the control I will draw a circle, a line, a square, whatever in a reasonable size. Not huge and not in the middle of too much paper. Then whatever the result is, I ask the child to glue stick it to another piece of paper. This page I date and maybe comment on it the scissor grasp and control. That flat piece of paper is easy to store in a file or portfolio.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2013

I have a book at work that is called something like Assessing Through the Year. I have used their cutting assessment sometimes which is tracing their hand and they cut it out. At the beginning of the year they are cutting off fingers, not along the line, etc. By the middle they sort of go around the hand and at the end they are cutting the fingers correctly, etc. You just date it and staple it to a piece of paper so it doesn't get lost in the file. This year I printed out a chart of the correct grasp and stapled it to that so parents could see the results.