What do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Zanity, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I am in Ohio and as all know it is horrible here getting a position.

I have sent out 65+ resume's and had atleast 6 interviews.

This school (it is a charter) is interested in me. I went last week and interviewed with the director of the school, she loved me basically said the job was mine. I was called back at 7:30pm on Monday night to come in today. I was under the impression it was to sign my contract and I was asked to bring several items with me like a welcome letter and a lesson plan. I show up today to meet the principal. He went through my stuff asked me what groups I would be interested in coaching, took my picture and said they were presenting all this to the board and will be calling those they want back on Monday to come sign contracts.

I have 3 other schools still wanting to interview me. What do you think? My thought is until the paper is in my hand I need to keep going. I do not want to burn a bridge here. Any ideas?

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

First of all, everything sounds promising with this Charter school. Congrats on that! Personally, I would keep interviewing until I have a signed contract.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Things sound positive with the charter school, but not guaranteed. It seems as if they're still deciding exactly who they want to hire, so I would definitely still go on the interviews. Good luck!

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Learning from some other posters...don't count it until the contract is signed. Keep interviewing just in case.

6. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Thank you. Should I tell the other schools that I have a possible offer?

BTW I have never had to work so hard to get a teaching position before as I have here in Ohio. In Virginia I walked right into them.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

The economy was probably a lot stronger then.

But some areas (like the NY tri-state area for example) are always bad.

Don't say anything to anyone, just don't assume you have a job until you've signed a contract.

8. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks everyone. I have spent the afternoon reading through the posts on here. I thought I would have that paper today when I went in but it is not lost yet. I am going to continue interviewing till I have the paper.

9. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 23, 2009

Are you sure it's not just for board approval? My school did all that but couldn't give you a contract until official approval by the school board.

10. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

ambrit, his words were, he was getting the team together to take to the board and say this is the team.

11. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

I would wait until you have a contract to sign. I'm in Ohio as well and know the struggle you've gone through.

Go ahead with your interviews, who knows something more promising could turn up before you sign the charter school contract. Wouldn't that be sweet to be in the position where you can choose?

12. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Well I have an interview this afternoon and another next Wed. I am just going to keep setting them up till I have the contract. The one this afternoon is infront of a group teachers, p, and instructional coordinators. Fun stuff.

13. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Congrats on your interviews and the offer with the charter school!!!

I'm in Ohio as well and I know how difficult it can be.

Please keep going on your interviews. In my unfortunate experience, it is not a done deal until you SIGN the contract.

Keep us posted on your interviews!!

Good luck!!

14. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

Congrats on the offer and the other interviews. I just left Ohio. What charter school is it? I worked in a charter in Columbus.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 24, 2009

Sounds like you are still getting interviews and many are not even getting those. I would consider myself lucky to be getting those! Congratulations. Keep looking until you have that contract IN YOUR HAND!

16. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Well I am home. I think the interview went well, but I do not think I will get the position. The ladies who interviewed me liked me and said the vp and sup would call me Monday to set up a 2nd interview. I just have a feeling.

I am just glad it is the weekend. I can take a break for 2 days of not worrying. I have one more interview next Wed. already set up. I keep praying that phone will ring and that charter will say come in and sign your papers.