What do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth2004, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

I posted another thread about there finally being a position posted for a school in my area. I was interviewed last year by the principal and was granted a second interview with the superintendent, but didn't get the job. Now they have a position posted again and I want it bad! :)
    I sent an application packet to the principal last week to express my interest before there was a position posted and then when I saw the position I sent all of my paperwork to the superintendent (where it's supposed to go). The position (along with several others for h.s. and m.s.) were just posted yesterday and the deadline is Monday! I want these people to know how badly I want this position so I'm sending another letter with a copy of my resume to the principal. Here's the letter. What do you think?

Dear Mr. C****,

I recently sent my resume and licensure information to you along with a letter expressing my interest in a position at your school. I did this before I saw that there were available positions posted on the ****** Community Schools website and in the Standard Times. After seeing the positions posted, I sent an application packet to Dr. ****, but I want to once again express my interest directly to you as well.

I am very interested in the grades three-four looping teacher position. I am currently teaching third grade at the ******* Christian Academy and have enjoyed it immensely. I have also had the opportunity to teach in fourth grade classrooms in the past during my student teaching and during a long-term substitute position I held last school year. I feel very comfortable teaching at both grade levels and feel as though looping with a class from third to fourth grade would be a wonderful experience that would be beneficial to me as well as my students.

I greatly appreciated being interviewed by you, the interview committee, and also Dr. **** last summer. I hope to be given the same opportunity this year as well. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Awesome letter, Beth!! Good luck!!!

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 2, 2007

Great letter! Good luck, as well!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

Thanks! I know I shouldn't be, but I'm really getting my hopes up about this one!

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 2, 2007

Wishing you the best. Your letter sounds great. Good Luck.

7. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

nice letter

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2007

Sounds great- I hope it works out!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

Beth, what excites you about third-fourth looping? Can you think of something you'd love to do with the kids, based on your experience in both grades?

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

Oh, there's plenty. I wanted it to be a very short and sweet letter, though. As I said, I already sent my full cover letter and all my paperwork to the principal a week ago and the superintendent will be getting all of that also (which he'll then get another copy of). I just wanted to give him another reminder about me being here and interested. I mailed the letter out ealier today so that he'll hopefully get it Monday or Tuesday.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

Organize those examples in your brain, then, so they're ready to go. Next time you're in a situation like this - we'll hope it's a long, loooong time from now - focus your letter more specifically on the position itself:

"Dear ***,

"How exciting to see that **** School is advertising a third-fourth looping position! That position is almost exactly what I had in mind when I wrote to you recently about opportunities at your school.

"Third and fourth grades are a crucial time in the life of a child. I have seen..."

- and then you hint lightly about what you could do for the third and fourth graders and for the school.

General point for everyone: remember, you're trying to sell a principal or district or whoever on why YOU are the right person for A PARTICULAR opening - it's about meeting the district's needs, felt or otherwise.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 2, 2007

I completely agree with what you're saying. My point is that my original cover letter that I sent mentions specifics about my experiences in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade and what I enjoy about teaching. Then, the cover letter I sent to the superintendent leans more specifically toward the looping position and the 3rd and 4th grades. I didn't want to be long-winded and reiterate all of those things to basically mimic my cover letter when he'll also have my cover letters in his hands.

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 2, 2007

Best of luck - I hope we hear good news from you this week!!!!

14. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Okay, I may be a downer on this posting, and I wish you the best of luck in getting the position.

"being interested" and actually asking for the position are two totally different things. Most people I know don't bring in applicants who are just "interested"...its pretty much the equivalent to saying to a salesperson, "I'm just looking."

Bon shons...Fingers crossed...Once you get the interview... tell the principal you are the teacher s/he is looking for and you "want" the position.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

(TeacherGroupie whistles innocently, gazing at the ceiling, and entertains thoughts of ants at picnics.)

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 3, 2007

Does this make it sound like I am "just looking?"

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 3, 2007

I also just thought I'd add the first line of my actual cover letter that I sent to the superintendent. As I said a few times now, this was not my cover letter. Just a reminder to the principal of who I am.

Here's the first line: I greatly appreciated the opportunity to be interviewed last summer and would love to be interviewed again for the grades three-four looping position at the ***** Elementary School.

Research Parent, you're entitled to your opinion, but I honestly don't think that any of my letters make it seem like I'm "just looking."

18. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 3, 2007

personally, I think your letter is great. You have already sent a letter with specifics prior to the posting, you are now sending a short, 'remember talking to me' last year letter and saying you WANT to be there. If you are given the chance to interview, then verbally, tell them YOU ARE THE ONE! If the letter is too long or rambles, they will stop reading. Send what you have written and good luck

19. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

I hope you get the interview! And WHEN at your interview, make sure you tell the principal directly "you are the teacher s/he is looking for" and/or "you want to work with him/her."

And I'll share why, IMO the letter appears to come from an applicant "looking." Here's my story, so you may understand the perspective...

I currently work in AZ (a job market known to be in shortage, and ALWAYS looking for good people), did my own recent job searching (across the country-- IN, TX, VA, CA, IA, CO). I successfully get the interview and position offered in 9/10 applications. Many times, in the markets I have applied to, the number one thing that gets me the job offer is asking for the job and directly telling the interviewer, "I want to work here!"

I have also been the person looking for "qualified applicants" and from the hiring perspective, I have better luck (95% acceptance, 85% retention) with applicants who tell me they want to work for my institution. I have been burned several times by applicants submitting applications asking for the interview, only to use the job offer as a negotiation tool with their current employer.

I understand YOU are not browsing, but I want to offer the perspective, if the market is tough and the person regularly hires, you have to set yourself apart from these "browsers."

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2007

And I think job applicants need to signal this clearly in their letters - and the sample of letters here on A to Z tells me that, by and large, they don't.