What do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Maithal, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Nov 20, 2006

Hi Everyone!
    I'm applying for a long term sub position in k and 2nd grade and they ask on the application for a statement on "What's the most unique quality you will bring to our district?"

I was thinking of saying either one of these....

I've attended a responsive classroom training this summer and am trained in the techinques and application of creating a classroom social environment. I have been a part of this classroom in my current experience as a TA.

The other idea is...

In addition to the experience I bring, I am well-versed in cultural differences and challenges as I was raised in an Indian-American family. I am also bilingual and can speak an Indian language, Kannada. Being part of the Indian and American culture has made me more aware of, more responsive, as well as more sensitive to the needs of students from various cultural backgrounds.

These are not written in final form, but I wanted to give you an idea of what I was thinking.

What do you think?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2006

I would not go for the responsive classroom training because it is not saying anything about qualities YOU possess. You want to focus on what sets you apart as an individual. I might mention cultural background, although not as in depth as you did because again, cultural differences make us unique, but it's how we use those skills that will set us apart. Try to think of how you use your skills in the classroom............ and how the age group you are looking to work with may benefit.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2006

Good answer Miss Frizz!!!

They can see your resume-- this is your opportunity to tell them who you ARE, not just what you can DO.

5. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 21, 2006

I love your "cultural" response and think it's very important in today's world. I personally would love to hire someone who knew a different language in additon to English.

For the specific training you did, it's important to mention , but probably not for this question.