What do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth2004, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 11, 2010

On another message board there's a new teacher who mentioned that she has an interview next week. She asked for suggestions on how to answer the question, "Why do you want to work in our district?" I said that she should research online to find out their mission statement and the programs/methods they use, etc. I also mentioned looking at the test scores and if they're good saying something like, "I want to work in a district with a strong emphasis on [subject area]" but added that she shouldn't mention low test scores unless asked about them.

Someone else responded saying that low test scores/not meeting AYP should be mentioned because it shows the administrator that you know how to read the data.

What do you think? If a school didn't meet AYP, should you mention that in an interview?

3. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 11, 2010

I think its best to always emphasize the positive. In my last interview, I emphasized the school's rising API score within the past 3 years (did some research) and how I was best suited to help the CONTINUED growth and success. I never mentioned the schools AYP (which has not yet been met), but mentioning to "help the school's CONTINUED" success and wanting to "raise scores" in general should help cover that. To show the Admin I know how to read data, I showed a sample data table of a student which I placed in my portfolio and how I analyzed it (made notes, highlights) and explained what the notes meant in relation to my former school's test scores (API/AYP).

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

When I moved districts some years ago, I was interviewing at a school that had received an "F" for the just finished year. I used that to my advantage and I told the panel that I realized they had some challenges ahead due to that score and I felt I would be able to help. I don't remember my exact words, but I did use the score to my advantage. (They gave me the job at the interview).