What do you think of WORDS THEIR WAY?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pattie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Our whole school is being required to adopt this spelling program. I see some holes in it like no sight words, no spelling sentence dictation, no prefixes, suffixes, etc. Has anyone had experience with this program and what do you think of it? Did you add to it or tweak it at all? What if your kids were super high. I had 2nd grader who has read all 7 Harry Potter books with an incredible vocabulary/spelling ability. I'm wondering if it will be challenging enough for some kids. Anybody have experience with it?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

We use the Words Their Way books at my school. However, before you begin instruction, we give a DSA (developmental spelling assessment) to all our students (we get it from Word Journeys by Kathy Gunske). This way , you begin instruction at the level of your class. If you have some really high ones, you put them in their own group and differientiate.

4. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Do you add anything into your program like dictation sentences, sight words/word wall activities, extend the words using prefixes and suffixes to add challenge? Do you think it is really top notch program as is? Does every teacher use the books or can you share them?

5. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

We don't use words their way, but most of the teachers at my school use the "I Can Spell" individualized spelling program in addition to our standard whole-class tests. The program is based on the words children use most often when they write so it covers the sight words, and since it is individual, it covers all of the children's needs. I've used it in 1st-3rd grades myself and our teachers use the upper-el version through 5th grade. It takes a little while to start it up, but if you have parent volunteers, it runs itself very quickly :)
    Here is where you can get it: http://www.joyful-noise.com/jnp/icanspel.htm

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

I don't think of it as "top notch," but then again, the only other spelling programs I've used were Zaner-Bloser and the list with our basal :) Things like prefixes and suffixes are covered, sometimes in reading, sometimes as an extension. What I do like about it is that is focuses on the rules for spelling--once kids master those rules, they can spell any word that follows the same pattern--I don't have as many "how do you spell ___" questions during writing time, because they know the patterns. It also really helps kids decode words in reading (at least in my grade level-4th). I've seen the correlation between poor spelling and poor reading (ie, I've had really low readers the last two years, and I can remind them of the rules we learn in spelling when they are trying to read--it has helped my students). We only have one set of books per grade level, so we do share them.