What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/conte...d-for-student/

We all say we want this, but now a lawmaker is willing to deliver.

If the student is academically successful, gets their homework in, is well behaved, and has good attendance, I don't really care what the parents do or don't do. They must be doing something right.

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

Broken link.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/2011/jan/21/LANEWSO1-lawmaker-wants-parents-graded-for-student/

Fixed link. Here's the beginning of the article...

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

I'm afraid of some of our parents as is...I've had or witnessed some disturbing episodes. I don't think "failing" the parents will help matters. But...I like it. Is that wrong? :unsure:

But if the students are not successful, are not completing homework, are not behaved, and are not demonstrating good attendance—and if teachers have determined this is likely due to less than stellar parenting—it will be nice to formally make a record of this.

There are some cases, though, that might make me sad or hesitant to indicate poor parent performance. Take the parent who works an odd shift and can't attend meetings and field trips and such. And the parent who is homebound. And the parent who just herself struggled to earn her GED. Or the parent with a child with a true behavior disorder. Or perhaps a sleep disorder that makes mornings pure Hell. Or just a parent whose best is not good enough. Of course, I could respond to my own concerns with, "Too bad. You chose to bring a child into this world and you're not succeeding."

I don't know...lots to think about. Initial reaction is a childlike yesss!, but it's complicated.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

I can't even begin to imagine being asked to give a parent a grade for involvement on their child's report card.

7. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 26, 2011

A tough subject. It seems to me this is legislating morality which is a VERY slippery slope. I agree parents need to be more accountable for their actions, but I am not sure if that is the teacher's responsibility. Don't teachers have enough to requirements? If teachers think they are babysitters of students won't this only exacerbate the problem? Perhaps government should stay out of this one.

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

No teeth, so only a few are going to care and likely only the parents that already care. The reverse of punitive would be to create a tax credit revolving around parental involvement grade. That seems more liberal than I normally lean because where's the funding going to come from. Still, padding a wallet will get them in there.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 26, 2011

:yeahthat:

It's only going to cause more of a rift between teachers and parents. Hasn't that rift gotten rough lately? Instead of everybody blaming and rating each other, what about finding ways to work as a team for the students.

Parents should be held more accountable, I whole heartedly agree, but this is not the way to go. Teachers are already under unprecedented extreme scrutiny nationwide and this will only make people more bitter and hateful towards teachers.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

I do certainly agree that this would become yet another responsibility and ultimately problem.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

I'm against it on more levels than I can count.

Who appointed the school system the arbiter of parenting responsibilities??

What makes that state lawmaker, or teachers, qualified to judge what good parenting is??? Where's the good parenting rubric? And which courses have they taken that might make them qualified to second guess the decisions I make with my family??

How on earth would one judge good parenting?? Is it the parent who can afford to get a tutor for a kid, but who chooses not to enforce any consequences?? Or the single parent working 3 jobs who can't attend the PTA meetings? How about the family who has one child who is special needs, or one critically ill, who for the moment must divert attention from one child to the other? How about the parents who are juggling ill parents, or an ill spouse? Does that make them good (caring) parents, or bad parents because they're unable to put the kids first at that particular moment??? How about the parents of multiple kids--you know the drill: one kid is angelic and another is horrible. How do you rate the parents then???? Or a kid, like so many other humans, is good one day and bad the next? Do good parents take their kids to church, or do public schools not count that in the tally?

I've got to tell you, during my mastectomy/dying father in law/ dead dog/ dead nieces's daughter/ radiation/ reconstruction/ thyroidectomy period, lots and lots and lots of school stuff fell throught the cracks. And if anyone wants to critique my parenting during that period, they're welcome to try.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

I'm not even a parent, but I find it offensive on a parent's behalf. I don't feel I have any qualifications to grade someone's parenting skills. I have kids who are in my class who have several problems.... But I know their parents do the best they can. I have a mother who calls the school 3-4 times per day to share some useless information. She's absolutely crazy, but she loves her daughter and does the best she can. I just don't see the point at all, except as another way to shift blame.

The whole thing reminds me of an elementary school argument. Parents blame teachers for their child not learning, and teachers get upset that they're being blamed unfairly. Then they go and blame parents.

It does nothing to further our cause as professionals. to bash parents

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 26, 2011

I think this is complete nonsense and won't ever happen.

I do think its ironic though about how many parental roles teachers have taken on and yet some parents still feel they have a right to grade us.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

I soooo agree with Alice. There have been times when the drama of my life has hindered my parenting abilities. The first day of school in 2007 when a policeman came to my door with the news that one of my sons had died sort of made the first few weeks of school for my younger son that year seem not as quite important. Had I been graded on his report card that quarter, I would have failed.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

I haven't been through even a fraction of what many other parents have and I do the best I can every day, but some days that best is not very good at all. I haven't been the parent who goes on field trips, attends concerts during the day or, often, makes it to the parent/teacher conferences or Meet-the-Teacher Night (mine are usually on the same nights). Homework sometimes slides, permission slips get forgotten and that cheque that needed to be in on Friday at the latest, wasn't. Alex's first grade teacher told me once that she didn't feel that I was being a concerned parent--that conversation still makes me ill almost 15 years later.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

I'm not a parent, so I can't bring that perspective. But I honestly believe all parents do the best they can based on what they know and how they were taught - regardless of if they are parent of the year, or one who seems uninvolved and uninterested. Honestly, some parents just DON'T KNOW!! No matter how many times you explain it to them... and then you look at their child and everything makes sense!

I would hate for parents to give me a report card - they are not in my classroom everyday, they do not know the dynamics of my class or the curriculum I am required to cover. In the same sense, I am not in their home every day. I have no idea what they deal with at work, and then come home to.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

Very well said!

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

What Alice said. Many, many people have looked down on me and my parenting. I am a single mom of three kids, two of which have major health issues. Stuart is a type I diabetic and William has a laundry list of problems, mostly having to do with extreme prematurity an a hereditary bone disease. On top of that, I am slowly rebuilding my life after moving 2000 miles away from everybody I know to escape a very bad situation.

Homework doesn't get done, papers don't get signed, phone calls don't get returned, conferences aren't attended and activities aren't participated in. I have never been to a PTA meeting or volunteered for any school related anything. Dinner is often whatever I can throw together, or what the kids can cook themselves.

In spite of that, my kids are well-behaved, respectful, and generally successful in school. All of them are at least A/B students, and more than that, they get the education they deserve at home. They learn how to think and how to apply what they know, instead of just learning how to take a standardized test. Everybody tells me that my children are well-spoken and generally delightful to be around.

So, if the state wants to "fail" me as a parent, let them. They can get to know my kids, because one day they'll be calling them "boss".

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Love that post, mm!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

Of course, you have to consider how children would feel seeing this information as well. This is being proposed for primary grades, but many would be able to determine from the report their parents are performing at an "unsatisfactory" level. That could be hurtful. Or it could offer some especially "resourceful" children ammo in their arguments with their parents. ;)

That said, I don't see this as rating parenting overall...just the factors that contribute to the educational experiences of children. I say "just" but I of course realize that is still terribly offensive to some and presents a host of problems.

A previous poster mentioned not wanting to be rated by parents, but I know many schools allow this or something similar in the form of surveys and questionnaires. You know, that reminds me of one of my favorite posts I've ever read here and it was when I first registered: Parents, I agree to believe only half of your children say about you if you agree to believe only half of what they say about me. Love that!

Also offered by someone else already, but I assume this is just a PR effort and will surely lead to absolutely nothing.

21. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

Oh good grief! Wrong on so many levels.

Our family has gone through some very trying times....one specific traumatic event that left me (MOM) emotionally paralyzed for probably about 2 years.

Do I wish I could go back and give the remainder of my kids those two years back? Of course!!

But this is what families are all about. The rest of my kiddos learned independence, responsibilities, and that families pull together through the tough times....and that NO family is perfect.

Less than ideal situations give our kids character, prepare them for the real world. How ridiculous to grade parents and expect kids to grow up in a bubble without real problems.....those kids would not be prepared for adulthood at ALL.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Right... and then, even if we could manage that perfectly sterile, bubble world, someone would be calling us "tiger parents" or "helicopter parents" or some other insult du jour.

23. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

Parenting is SOOOOO subjective!! While I may think someone is a "great" parent, the next teacher might think that parent is too strict or too lenient. Also, it depends on the teacher's relationship with the parent. I have managed to create very positive relationships with some parents that other teachers have struggled with. There is no way to accurately give parents a grade, and it's certainly not my job. I don't enjoy writing report cards for my students, please don't add on extras for the parents!

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

While we're at it, why don't we as teachers decide if a person can have a child? (sarcasm intended.)

I don't want parents grading me, and I don't want to grade parents. I just want to teach, and I want to be able to send your child home if the child/parent is making that difficult.

25. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

Maybe they are trying to get people to look at the bigger picture and realize that, just like parents, teachers should not be judged on things that they cannot control. All of our students and their families have a different set of circumstances. We do all that we can in the 8 hours that we have them, but we cannot go home with them. I work in an area where education is not a priority with many of our families. I do everything that I can to try to change that attitude. With some, I have been successful, but others...not so much.

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 27, 2011

I agree with Teacher Lady. I think the intent of the bill is to start a conversation about judging teachers on things we cannot control. I had a parent yesterday tell me "you have him for 8 hours"...well actually I have him for 45 minutes a day! I continue to put the kid first, and try and stay away from judging other teachers and parents.