What do you think of this type of schedule?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by SnowDaisy822, Oct 31, 2006.

1. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Oct 31, 2006

So the teacher who taught 5th before me (our principal now) did this type of a schedule and I don't know how I like it. One month she taught science, and the next month she taught social studies. Then she'd go back to science, and so on. I like it because they think more about a certain topic, but I don't because if your units are related (i.e - explorers to the pilgrims) they'll need a lot of review. What do you guys think? I'm having a hard time with scheduling enough time for both subjects. Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2006

I have always taught only science or social studies one at a time--a unit of science, then social studies, etc. We don't have a lot of room in our timetable for these subjects, so trying to cover both at once is difficult for students and teachers. The grade 4/5 teacher I work with just finished his first science unit and will be starting Social Studies this week.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

Maybe doing one or the other each WEEK would be more reasonable...PLUS if something overlaps, you could consider it as both, right? For example, if I'm teaching about plants and we discuss which trees are indigenous to a specific place, would that not be science AND geography?? =)

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 1, 2006

What our grade level (at our school) has done, is lay out all of our Science and Social Studies Frameworks. We then grouped like Frameworks together and placed specific units with them. Those units can be called Social Studies or Science, which ever it falls underneath. Then we took the units and mapped out the school year. We only teach one unit at a time, which means we only teach one Science/Social Studies lesson at a time.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2006

I teach firt and go back and forth between the two...we just dont have enough time to teach science AND social studies in one day....we dont have a set timeframe, we plan unit by unit and try to go back and forth between the two.....

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Nov 1, 2006

I teach second grade. We have a set time to teach comm arts and math because of the children who go to pull-out resource. In terms of teaching science and social studies, I alternate each day.

Example:
    one week
    M, W, F - Teach Science
    T, Th - Teach Social Studies

next week
    M, W, F - Teach Social Studies
    T, Th - Teach Science

I try to be fair since I know that not all children might like science or social studies. I try to break it up.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 2, 2006

I teach Soc. St. almost every day. Science gets pushed to the side more. We have so much to cover we would never get even half of it accomplished if I taught these subjects on a monthly rotation. We have 7 science units in our book. My goal is to get through 6 of them. Social studies starts with ancient American civilizations through the Civil War.

I have taught these subjects on alternating days for longer periods and that worked well.

9. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 2, 2006

This is what I would advocate. When I was student teaching, we paired a social studies unit on Central and South America with a science unit on rainforests. The two complemented each other nicely. I also chose a read-aloud chapter book that fit those themes, so we hit the theme all day long it seemed, and my kids really seemed to retain the content.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 2, 2006

Sixth grade was middle school in my experience (I hated my own self-contained sixth grade class; I was ready to move UP!!!) but even when I was teaching at that level, I had a hard time separating ANY subject into something that stood alone. Everything is connected! My subject is the Language Arts, but when I taught mythology, I also taught astronomy; the two are joined at the hip and simply can not be taught separately. When I taught "The Diary of Anne Frank," I also taught history; how can anyone not? I had many such conjoined units, and I really think it is far better to teach our students that not only is no man an island, but also that no 'school subject' is, either. Nothing that exists only within the four walls of a classroom, or the teacher's edition (I never used those, either.) of a textbook, is of any worth, either practically or to the soul. Everything has something to do with something else. (even math.)

I can not imagine trying to teach A subject as a free-standing unit, unconnected to the world around us. It was something I detested, as a small child, and I detest it even more, now.

11. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Nov 3, 2006

Mamacita, that's what we do, combining subjects. We call it integrated studies, because you just can't pull these things apart. This term we are working on Civics and Citizensip, which is very heavily English and SOSE (Social Studies to you all, I think), but with a fair whack of History and some Geography thrown in. Last term our focus was Earth and Space which was heavily Science, but lots of English (you can't escape the English!), Maths and Geography.Working this way gives you the time to do some really deep projects, like our current "election campaign" which has student teams running for election on November 16.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2006

I teach second and rotate monthly between SS and science for the most part.

13. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Nov 3, 2006

I would love to integrate mys subjects because that's what I've always done in the past, but this year I'm in 5th grade my curriculm's hard to integrate. How do I integrate science into US history and government? Also, we've just started a unit in science on the different animal classifications.

14. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Nov 3, 2006

We don't integrate subjects that "don't go" - we treat them separately. But from what I read here our curriculum guidelines are much more open to interpretation than in the US; in fact, there are only guidelines from which each school constructs their own units.

15. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Nov 6, 2006

Currently my kids school dedicates different days of the week to SS and science...as was mentioned earlier...but the big tie in is with the Reading program.

When reading is focusing more on plants and animals, science gets taught 3 days a week. When Reading is focused on people, places, money, or history, social studies gets taught 3 days a week.
    The really nice thing is the topic being emphasized, science and SS topic, gets a hands-on craft, experiment, or activity for the week.

16. Ms. K

Ms. K Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

I do the same thing in 5th grade for the same reasons. This can change though because we have science kits from the ISD - sometimes we have to do a whole week of science because we only get the science kits for 6 weeks.

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 14, 2006

That is the same for us. I try to alternate each week between the social studies and science but it doesn't always work out like that. We have a big emphasis on reading/writing and math.

18. cingy

cingy Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

I revamped my curriculum when I moved from a 5/6 to a 3/4 and had the flexibility to look at the expectations and how they fit best for kids. With that in mind, I chose to create a two year cycle: one year we focus on the Montessori Great lessons which start with the Story of the Universe, then the Story of the Solar System, the Story of Earth, the Story of Life Coming to Earth, the Story of Humans. As you can see, this is a real science centered year with much social science intertwined. The other year is devoted to culture studies and a trip around the world where we visit each continent on Earth, with a focus on inventions and immigration as well as biomes (which are all expectations in our state). In addition, the last continent we visit is North America, where we focus in on the US and then Vermont, covering all that the curriculum asks.

While this may seem cumbersome, it makes sense for kids. Rather than having a science unit then a social studies unit and so forth, the science and social studies is intertwined in a year long focus.

Hope this helps.

Karen

19. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 18, 2006

Last year, I taught History and Geography as two subjects (it's social studies up to grade 6, then becomes two separate subjects). I taught Geography one half of the year, then I taught History the second half. I liked that. This year, my principal advised me that I was teaching these two subjects on a daily rotation. One day Geography, one day History. The two subjects are so interrelated that it became confusing for me and for them. Now, I do blocks of one or the other for one or two weeks at a time or whatever amount of time it takes to get to a spot to which is convenient to stop for a while to move to the other subject. This is better than a daily switch. So, I would say, the least often you need to switch, the better.

20. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 18, 2006

When I come back to Ontario to teach, is it an option to teach science or social? In Alberta, we have to teach both. 950 hours each I believe (not 100% sure).

21. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 18, 2006

The kids need both, but in some schools, it's split up among teachers. In my school, I teach History and Geography (Social Science) to both the Grade 7's and the Grade 8's, and the Grade 8 teacher teaches science to both.