What do you think of this idea

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Jul 22, 2015.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

I have a lot of parent volunteer help, and I want to think of a way to use them the best way I can. In the past, just correcting, straightening up... and I still would. But I was thinking that I can use them as a teaching tool (e.g. refer to it when doing writing lessons). The idea is first to set the kids up with blog accounts, where they can post their writing (within our class, not for public consumption). I would have the parents administer it (with my direction of course), where parents monitor, approve, etc. all content. I would provide the structure for it.

But what I was thinking was to solicit any of these parents to see if anyone wanted to produce a blog themselves for our class, to model other (good) examples of writing for the kids. These parents are educated, and there are many who are really excellent writers themselves.

Does this sound like an idea worth pursuing? I don't want to look like an idiot, proposing something like this... I've actually never seen/heard anybody else do something like this for their class. Would it be worthwhile? What concerns/objections would there in doing something like this?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 22, 2015

What grade is this for?

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

One of my younger cousins had to do this for his class in mid-elementary school. I remember my uncle/his dad texting all of us the link to the blog so we could leave comments and whatnot (I think it was part of his grade)
    It was good for him AND for us because we (relatives) could also get involved in his life/education.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

5th grade

Hmm, that's interesting. That sounds like a neat way to give the kids a (safe) audience for their writing. The thought in my head, would be for the parent(s) to write along, just like another member of the class. So that if we wrote a persuasive essay about technology in school, they would construct a five-paragraph essay along the same lines. The other idea was to maybe have them just blog about a specific topic all year (e.g. food), and tailor their writing to fit to what we're working on in the classroom.

This is all thinking out loud stuff. Again, it seems like I've never seen anyone do this in their classroom, which makes me think it isn't practical/worthwhile. But I welcome any thoughts about it!

6. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

While a teacher that I covered a leave for was out last school year, the students used kidblog to blog to her about what was going on in class and their lives so she could stay updated. And in turn, she would ask questions and keep them updated about her son. The kids really enjoyed the chance to write.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

What my cousin's class had to do was write one thing each month or so, and it was all different topics.
    One was a persuasive essay about a favorite something or other
    One was a fiction/short story
    One was narrative / talking about a field trip they had just gone on
    One was just a post of various pictures (I don't remember what of)

I think considering the times now with all this technology, it would be good for kids to utilize the internet/blogging as an educational tool and not just "for fun"/social media.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2015

If you can't find someone willing to take on that task, I have always invited classroom volunteers to read with individual students.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 22, 2015

It sounds very intriguing. I imagine you would need to get permission for all first. How well do you know the individual parents and their abilities to model good writing?

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2015

This was my first thought. I know that you said that some are great writes. I would first pass it by by VP or P before putting this into full effect.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

Definitely run it by admin. I would not want to give someone else the responsibility for approving comments and I would want to have something in place so that the parent(s) are not communicating with the students without you seeing/approving that communication.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 23, 2015

Thanks. I will definitely run it by P if I go that route. Reason I'm also thinking about it is because they were dumping their computers next door. I said, 'wait I'll take 'em!' Now I have six total. So I can't just have a bunch of computers in my room, and end up letting them take up space. They gotta be productive...