What do you think of these desks for second graders?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

They don't have the storage shelf underneath, but they have a hook to hang their backpacks. Have an opportunity to swap my current desks for these.

The pocket shelves under their current desks have been driving me bonkers. A lot of second graders are just not organized enough to maintain desk storage.

You might argue that they will use their backpacks to hide toys and other distractors. But they have been sneaking those items into their desks. At least with the stuff in their backpacks, it would go home every night.

[​IMG]

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2015

Wouldn't be my choice.....

I personally hate being responsible for all the kids' notebooks, supplies, folders, etc. so when I taught second, I taught kids how to organize and use a desk with storage section shelf.

...but if they work for you, go for it.:D

4. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015

I'm not sure we would have room for all the backpacks with 30+ kids and normal to small sized classrooms. Can you still put them in table groups with the backpacks there?

Edit: The more I think of this, the more difficult it seems. Would any in-progress work go in their backpacks?

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2015

Any in progress work I collect and return later.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 8, 2015

This is actually how my mind works. I like them.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2015

One of my best friends at school teaches grade 1; she turns the desks so that the openings aren't accessible. It has cut down on students losing things and hiding things (including snacks) in their desks.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 8, 2015

As a 2nd grade teacher, I had desks that looked like this: http://www.wayfairsupply.com/Zuma-Wood-27-2-Student-Desk-VR4509.html

They kept their books on the left (stacked according to size, of course) and their "tool box" (aka pencil box) on the right. They took great pride in having organized desks because I made a big deal about neatness and organization.

9. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jul 8, 2015

^^ This. Coming from a 2nd grade classroom I liked having their backpacks out on the backpack rack. They had a folder that they brought in and that was it, along with their books.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 8, 2015

I remember in elementary school (First through Fifth), we had desks with a shelf underneath. Sure, some kids had messy desks, but teachers gave us some time every couple months to organize our desks. One teacher even had a specific layout inside the desk (folders on the right, textbooks on the left, etc)
    If we could do this 20 years ago, I'm sure kids today could do it as well. Pretty sure our brains haven't evolved THAT much?! :D

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2015

I say go with your gut, but some of my kids have huge backpacks and they would still need a place to hang coats because, well, this is Ohio and it gets really cold.

I taught second grade one year and we put journals on one side and pencil box and reading choice book on the other side. We did a mini clean out every couple weeks, and the Desk Fairy visited about once a month and gave a small prize or candy or sweet note to those who had earned it - that was a great motivator!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

They wouldn't work for me. I moved to tables and love them; for my students who have to have desk, I turn the desk around as a PP mentioned.