What do you think of these books?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Lyquidphyre, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

I was planning to take a trip to my local bookstore to thumb through these, but I was curious if anyone here has read them and what they think of them:

First-Year Teacher's Survival Kit: Ready-to-Use Strategies, Tools & Activities for Meeting the Challenges of Each School Day

Fred Jones Tools for Teaching

Biology Teacher's Survival Guide: Tips, Techniques & Materials for Success in the Classroom

Discipline Survival Kit for the Secondary Teacher (J-B Ed:Survival Guides)

EDIT TO ADD:
    Your First Year As a High School Teacher : Making the Transition from Total Novice to Successful Professional (Paperback)

Since I don't have a job yet (going to be a first year teacher) I can't really plan lessons.. but the only thing I feel I can plan is how I want to run my classroom and I have plenty of time to read =o)

Are there any other books I should look into for secondary teaching?

3. Happy Lady

Happy Lady Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

Books

I would suggest First Days of School by Harry Wong. Also, I enjoyed The Essential 55 by Ron Clark. Happy reading!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 2, 2007

Fred Jones is a must have!

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

Happy Lady- I got the impression that First Days of School was a book better suited for elementary school teachers. I will look into the other one, though- thanks!

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jun 2, 2007

Once you decide on what books you'd like, see if you can trade for them at www.paperbackswap.com I've gotten lots of great books (a few that would have cost over $40!) for free... ok, for postage, but it's like free!

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 3, 2007

I have read the first book you mentioned, and it had some good ideas to get me started. I would recomend Teaching with Love & Logic by Fay and Funk. This has become my classroom discipline bible.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

The First Days of School has elements that would be helpful to any teacher, regardless of the grade level. Some of the specific ideas are geared toward upper grades, but the concepts are for everyone.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 3, 2007

Actually, as an elementary teacher, I found that many of the ideas were much more suited for the secondary grades (middle and even high school).

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 3, 2007

I just wanted to suggest that if you have a good library or a library with interlibrary loans you can check them out and see what is worth buying. My own experience is that some books you will want to have your own copy of at all times and others are a one-read kind of thing. I agree that First Days of School is worth it for any grade level.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 3, 2007

Ditto!

12. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 5, 2007

I'm apparently going to be reading it since it is a mandatory book for one of my graduate courses! Go figure =oP

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 5, 2007

i have Discipline Survival Kit for the Secondary Teacher (J-B Ed:Survival Guides) and read the book cover to cover. It was really helpful in learning to discipline 8th graders. There are some helpful forms and ideas in there that I actually used.

14. dr77

dr77 Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

There is a book which is available in the UK (although I'm not sure if it has ever been published in the US) called 'The Teacher's Toolkit' by Paul Ginnis. It's a great book - full of really good ideas.

15. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

Fred Jones, Tool for Teaching is a good one.

I also like Ron Clarks' the Essential 55. Some of the things seem really impracticle and unrealistic... however, his thoughts about how students SHOULD behave and the manners that they SHOULD have really make you think about things you could do in the situation you are in (or will be in!).

16. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jun 6, 2007

I re-read the Fred Jones book before starting EVERY school year--it helps me every year!

17. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

I was reading the amazon reviews for that book and the one thing that bothered me that a reviewer said was in his book he talked about how the author gave a student an award/reward and when she didn't say thank you within a few seconds he took it back. Granted, I havnt read how he puts it, but that really bothered me. I am all about manners (and I think these days finding kids with manners is hard) but to do that to someone makes me wonder how insensitive the author is. I might thumb through it at the bookstore to see what it's all about but I don't know if I'd buy it.

18. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

The First Days is great, but even better is CHAMPS by Randy Sprick. Easy read, easy organization, great classroom mngt resource. Takes you through the first day on, guiding you on what to do, how to teach routines and transitions, ect. Great for elementary thru high school.