What do you think of my letter to AP?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Sep 13, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 13, 2013

Dr. X

I am writing you in regards to the incident regarding Ms. P and Mr. W. They came into my class boasting that "nothing" happened and you "excused" their referrals. I got the referral copies back that said you had a "conference" with them.

At this point in time, I am puzzled and concerned. As my students' teacher and advocate, it is my first and foremost responsibility to ensure my students are safe and cared for. I cannot do this effectively if my students find their violent behavior something to boast about and be "excused".

With that being said, when is a good time (preferably early next week) for us to discuss the incident and my class expectations?

Ms.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2013

What is the backstory?

I don't necessarily think that sending a letter like this to the AP is a good idea. There's a bad vibe or something to it. Why not just ask (via the AP's secretary or email) to schedule a conference to discuss the situation?

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 13, 2013

I agree with scheduling a time to talk in person. The words in quotes make it seem snarky. Talking face to face is usually better when you want to get to the bottom of something. I'd just say I wanted to visit without giving any other information.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2013

I would think long and hard before sending that email.

For starters, you're assuming that the kids are telling the truth, as opposed to just saving face. Why on earth would you belive the word of a kid-- especially a kid in trouble-- without giving your AP the benefit of the doubt???

Secondly, you're telling him how to do his job.

Thirdly, there may be a whole lot of a backstory that you're unaware of. Administrators frequently know information they're not at liberty to share.

Finally, I can't imagine that any administrator would appreciate being scolded by a member of his staff.

Instead, why not make an appointment to see him, and let him know what the kids were boasting about? Let him know that of course you don't believe that they got off scott free, but that you're concerned that their classmates might. And that you knew he would want to know how they behaved upon returning to class.

This way, it shows that you're on the same side, as opposed to being adversaries.

And any administrator worth his salt would then call the two kids back in and say "Is THAT what you took from our conference?? Did you not at ALL understand exactly what I said??"

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 13, 2013

I don't think it's a good idea. It sounds like you're trying to "school" him or her. If a teacher sent that to me it would put my defenses up before the meeting. I would just set up a meeting to talk about it.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 13, 2013

There is no way I would send that letter. Your AP is a supervisor, and no one would like to receive a letter like that--even if they deserve worse (which is my guess from your description.)

A rule at a job is to never send a negative letter in writing to your boss. I would set up a time and talk to him/her. Be really nice. The mistake was already made by your AP and getting too upset at it, might be something you will regret.

8. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Sep 14, 2013

Thanks for the advice! I figured it probably wasn't a good idea and thought I'd run it past fellow educators first. I tried speaking with her yesterday but found out she won't return until Tuesday. I just have to figure out what to do about the situation until then.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2013

On Monday you go to the P's secretary and ask to be scheduled for an appointment on Tuesday.