What do you think of my interviews?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bewlove, Jun 15, 2015.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 15, 2015

Hi! I had two interviews today! I'm trying to gain opinions. I feel like they went really well, but last year I only did one panel interview and landed a position. This year, I am trying to find something closer to home. I had a pretty successful day! I emailed some principals on Friday, and took some resumes today.

Interview #1: On the spot interview
    -I took my resume into a school, the principal wanted to see me once she found out I had some experience
    -I went back with her and three other ladies (asst. principals?) and she interviewed me with them for about 20 minutes.
    -She scheduled a 2nd interview with the grade level team for Monday (YAY!)
    -The only thing that scares me is that she wanted to contact my current P, and I had to tell her that I hadn't told her yet that I was looking for another position (but I did say that I would tell her if she wanted to contact her).

Interview #2: Got a call this morning and the P wanted me to come in for an interview this afternoon
    -Lasted over an hour
    -P was telling me about very specific expectations for her teachers
    -P asked me questions that made me feel like she was deeply considering me, like, "I expect teachers to plan together. Is that something you will be okay with? I will be retiring soon. Will you be comfortable with a new principal?"
    -She also scheduled a 2nd interview with grade level team for Wednesday (she actually called me about 5 minutes after my first interview to schedule it)

All in all, I feel like these seem like they went great, but it is kind of hard to tell at the same time. I did send thank you emails to both principals. In your past, has this type of interview usually led to a job? Or have you had seemingly positive interviews that the principals still didn't offer a job to you?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 15, 2015

It sounds like they went well. Good luck on round two!

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 15, 2015

Both sound great to me, particularly the second one. Nothing is a guarantee, but it sounds hopeful. Good luck!

5. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 16, 2015

Thanks! I am hopeful.

I'm wondering if it looks bad that I haven't told my P? I couldn't gauge their reaction.

In my second interview, she didn't take any notes. The whole time we talked, she didn't write a single thing down. That was the one that lasted over an hour. That made me hopeful, that perhaps there isn't a ton of other candidates for that one?

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 16, 2015

I've had interviews I thought went great that I never heard back from. I've also had at least two interviews I didn't think went particularly well that I did calls from. Working as a team is a standard question we asked when interviewing for our new teammate. It was very important to us.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2015

Your interviews seem quite positive. A few years ago I moved from the Florida panhandle home to Central Florida. At a public school that I interviewed for, the P also took no notes and we talked for well over an hour. She ended the interview asking to contact my present administration. I got out to the car and called the other school to ask the P to call the new school. Within an hour I was offered the job.

Same thing with my present school (a private school). No notes during the interview and hired shortly thereafter.

So, no note taking may just be a very positive sign.

8. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 17, 2015

Hey friends! Second interview went well. I *think* I got it, but nothing certain. Just waiting to hear. I basically just met the grade level team, we chatted for about 20 minutes, I answered their questions, etc. They seemed really nice and we seemed to hit it off! The P then shook my hand at the end of the interview, and in the hallway said, "Alright, I'll be calling you later."

:)

One of the teachers sent me a friend request on facebook, too! But I am still waiting for the overall verdict. Fingers crossed!

9. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 17, 2015

A Facebook request means serious businesses! Lol! Good luck.

10. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 17, 2015

Thanks, everyone! Just so you know, I got the call about an hour after the interview! I am so pumped!!!! I have already gotten to go in my classroom, and am able to do some work in there tomorrow (but I don't have my key yet, they're letting me in).

Thanks so much for all of your support!

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 17, 2015

Congrats!

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 17, 2015

Congrats!!