What do you think is the best "paid membership" teacher site?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Sep 4, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

Our PTA gives us a "wish list" each year. Several other teachers have told me that they've gotten subscriptions to sites such as Reading A-Z and Razzkids through them. I'm wondering what you think the best "paid membership" site would be for the most resources for grades k-5 (mostly 3-5) mild/moderate?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2011

Teacherfilebox is really good, but the organization is horrible.
    Edhelper is great because you can keep regenerating worksheets about the same thing, and you can do it at multiple levels. You can also generate vocabulary activities and even games.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 4, 2011

For kid friendly, we subscribe to the more.starfall.com. It has math stuff on it.

5. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

I really like Reading A to Z as well as ABC Teach.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

Hmm, decisions, decisions. I know I've googled things I've wanted and ABC Teach often comes up and I want what's on there but obviously wasn't a member. Reading A to Z is supposedly really good for leveled stories. MissAnt, do you know how many stories per level there are- is it a lot? Also, are they high interest for students? We have a multiple copies book room, but it isn't huge and I tend to use one book per week with my groups, meaning we go through a lot of books (except for my highest group that reads larger novels), so that might be a great resource. However, I'm definitely looking for something high-interest with good plots and NOT practice state test-like reading selections.

specialpreskoo, sorry if I wasn't clear...I'm more talking about teaching resources, not something for the kids to use. There is very little time at all for kids in my room to do the computers since we don't really do independent worktime, so I don't need anything extra that I couldn't find on a free site for them.

Also, here's a question: Would you all consider it unethical to share a membership with another teacher? I know our 3rd grade teacher let the SLP have her reading a-z password last year so the SLP could print out leveled stories for kids working on articulation in reading. I was thinking maybe I could ask for one website, and someone else could ask for another, and we could share passwords, but do you all think that's "cheating" or unethical? I mean, it's for the kids, but I guess may be unfair to the people running the site...

7. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

There are 20+titles per level. My students have found the books interesting, though most of my students read below level G. I printed out a few books for the older students I was working with this summer and they seemed interesting. New books are constantly being added.

For each book there is a lesson plan with a variety of skills to focus on and there are worksheets and activities that go along with the lesson.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

Thanks, that sounds great!

9. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 4, 2011

My whole school had Razkids last year the it was AWESOME. There were probably.................15-20 leveled books for each level. They covered a very wide range of topics, especially on the higher end. Some of them have animation in the pictures, which my kids loved.

On the unethical question.......I guess really only general ed all had Razkids last year. I didn't get a password. The 4th grade teacher added all my students to her class and gave me her password so we could use it in my room. I honestly think it was just an oversight that we didn't get a password so I didn't feel too bad about it. I also got a subscription to N2Y that I paid for myself that I shared with the other ASD teacher. I rationalized that between my 6 kids and her 6 kids, it was barely a regular sized class.

I've also used Edhelper, which I found to be really helpful for creating leveled independent work. It is mostly printable, customizable worksheets, although there are huggggggggge thematic sections and monthly sections as well. I liked that there were tons of options for creating writing and spelling practice with any word list you want, and there were tons of choices with font size, visual cues, etc. Same for math - really easy to create customized skill sheets. There was a whole huge section on reading comprehension, but I didn't look at it much because my kids aren't that high and do better with photo pics (there were no pics on this).

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2011