What do you think helps people live into their 90's and 100's?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

Here is a couple who has been married a long time! What do you think helps people live a long time? I'm so thankful my grandma is in her 90s and despite health issues, is doing pretty well and has a great attitude! I think of her perserverance if I think I'm having a "bad" day! :thumb:

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 10, 2010

My grandpa lived to 96 despite numerous health problems (diabetes, heart disease (he had 2 bypass surgeries, one when he was in his 80s!), dementia, etc). He wanted to live to 100 and I think he just liked living! We thought for sure when my grandma passed away (I believe she would have lived a long life if not for the leukemia because she was a little Energizer bunny) that he would go not long after because they were married 64 years but he hung around for another 3 years. I think he just liked being around us, seeing us grow up, having great grandkids, etc.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

I think part of it is genetic. A family history of heart disease, cancer, or any of a multitude of things doesn't bode well. Though some, of course, beat the odds.

Another factor is taking care of yourself. Being 50 pounds overweight isn't healthy, and increases your risk for any of a multitude of health issues. (Says the woman who would love to lose a few more pounds.)

I think a good part of it is attitude. I look at my grandmother, who lived on her own till she died at 93, after raising 6 kids as a single mom and burying 2 of them. She never for a moment thought of herself as "too old to ___." One time, when she was probably in her late 80's, she fell and broke her hip. It seems she got tired of her kitchen, and decided to paint it late one night. (Instead of calling my cousins, who lived a few blocks away, and would have been only too happy to do it for her the next day.) Her doctor told her that, when she recovered, she was hired to paint HIS kitchen, since he himself as a 60 year old was too old to do it. Grandma lived in a Brooklyn brownstone MY whole life, walking up that steep flight of stairs. She was always friendly to all the little kids in the neighborhood, always had a spare piece of candy for them. When they became teens, they looked out for her-- this was before Park Slope became gentrified. I think her attitude was the biggest factor in her longevity-- she loved life and never stopped living it on her own terms.

Anyway, I think attitude is key!!

And I think the last variable is dumb luck. All the other factors can be on your side, and you can still be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 10, 2010

I'm not sure. My grandmother lived to be 105 years old, and she was overweight, and ate mostly sugary items. She didn't drink or smoke, but her diet was unbelievable. I think some people just are genetically predetermined to live longer.

A dear friend, on the other hand, ate vegetarian, exercised vigorously every day, and seemed much healthier. He died of a blod clot at age 58.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

My grandmother lived to 97. She used Ponds cold cream on her face (very few wrinkles!), ate a banana every day (never sick!) and read the newspaper every day...she started having some memory loss at age 90 but up til then was great.

My great aunt just died 2 days after her 100th bday...She divorced or outlived 3 husbands, always dressed well, laughed, joked up until the day she died...(she told the nurses in the adult care that she had killed all her husbands...)She was the baby in a family of 9 children and lived to an older age than any of the rest...:woot:

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2010

One of my grandmothers lived to be 92 or 93. However, I didn't know much about her diet or lifestyle since I was pretty young when she passed away.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 10, 2010

My dad turned 91 on January 1st. He lives alone, out on a farm that is eight miles from the nearest town. When one of those nasty cold spells hit Iowa this past winter, he drove by himself all the way down to McAllen, Texas.

He smoked for many, many years. He drinks too much. He has had two different kinds of cancer. He has has a bad temper. He was a cattle feeder and lives his whole life eating red meat.

I think that he hangs on here because neither the good Lord in heaven or the devil in hell WANT him!! :lol:

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

My grandmother is 95. Even though she doesn't live by herself, she takes care of 2 young children under the age of 3 while their mother goes to school.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2010

I listened to someone on NPR who discussed just such a study. They question nuns who had lived in the same mother house together for many, many years. This helped them keep the variables to a minimum. They found that it had nothing to do with exercise, eating, drinking, or anything like that. They found that the key to living a long life is the ability to handle losses and go on.

Very interesting.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 10, 2010

This reminds me of Grandpa Gustafson on Grumpy Old Men...

"Let me tell you something, Johnny. Every morning I wake up and smoke a cigarette and I eat 5 strips of BACON!...
    For lunch a bacon sandwich...and for a mid-day snack BACON!! A whole **** plate."

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

MY great-grandmother lived to be 106. On her 105 birthday, she was interviewed by the local newspaper. They asked her what her secret was for her longevity. She replied "I drink a glass of hot water everyday." She really did!

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 11, 2010

My grandpa is currently 104 1/2 (he insists on getting credit for that half year!) and lives on his own in Florida, several hours away from our nearest relative. He is in excellent health. According to him, the secret is that he eats light, doesn't smoke or drink and never really did, and he had a wonderful wife for 65 years that made him happy to get up every day. Unfortunately my grandma passed several years ago (though she lived into her 90s) and my grandfather has been heartbroken ever since. We did not expect him to survive a year after her passing, but he keeps on keepin on.

My father went down to see him recently and when we asked how he seemed, all he could say was, "Well, he looks like he's getting older." No worries at all, just he looks older! Of course, what do you expect?? Hehe.... I sure hope it's genetic!!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2010

Erin, would that be your great-grandmother dancing on the tables?

JK

15. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

Daisy, that's me jumping on the bed at the Poly in Disney World....and I don't think my GGM ever did anything so scandalous as jumping on a bed! I'd like to think that she would have liked to have danced on a table though. :)

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 11, 2010

Hmmm, long life -

I agree, being able to overcome the losses in your life is key.
    Also, don't smoke or kill your healthy cells with excess alcohol or harmful drugs.
    Get outside and appreciate beauty every day.
    Get plenty of sleep!
    Take fish oil!
    Pay attention to your spirit.

Feed body, mind and spirit!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2010

Very cute, Erin. I bet some of our great-grandmothers were quite feisty in their day!

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2010

I think mowing the lawn... my gpa will be 100 this spring & has mowed his own lawn since I can remember. That's his "calming / mediating" place. If he needs to think or get away!!! LOL!!!

I think good genes are part of it as well. Many of his fam member lived into their 90s.

19. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Mar 13, 2010

positive attitude

a purpose to get up eat day

friends, activities

20. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 13, 2010

I won't speak to length of life too much (I do think genetics is #1), but I think quality of life is about learning to live as humbly as you can.

That doesn't mean depriving yourself of things; but (and especially in our society today), if it's all about things like couches, cars, a "home" (i.e. mortgage), and all the rest... you spend your life working to consume.

In other words, if you can learn to "smell the roses" and do without, I think that is where it's at.