What do you think about this system of collecting homework?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

When I student taught 5th, my master teacher assigned homework daily. All homework was due by Friday. I really like this idea as I don't have to worry about collecting homework on a daily basis. Students work on their assignments through the week and turn them all in on Friday. I actually plan to have them turn all homework in by Thursday.

What do you think of this system? I am debating whether I should collect the homework everyday or if I should copy my master teacher and wait till Thursday. Also, she didn't collect the homework. While the students were studying their spelling words for the test, sharpening pencils, etc, she would go around with her homework log and check off the students who brought all homework in. Then, she would go over the homework with the students.

What do you guys think of this system?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

My main concern about waiting till Thursday is that they may lose some of their papers. But, I think this will teach them to be resonsible for their materials, especially when they get into junior high.

4. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I'm planning on doing that this year too. Last year I had my 5th graders turn it in each day but I never got the chance to mark them off for it until Friday anyway. I'm going to give each of mine a two pocket folder...each Monday they will receive their folders with 4 new homework assignments. On Fridays they must turn in the whole folder with all assignments. If they have completed all of the week's assignments they have earned a tiny treat. They need to learn to become responsible about doing homework assignments and being organized before middle school.

5. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

:2cents: Back in the Ice Age when I was in 5th grade, we sat in teams. Every day, each team captain would collect our team's homework and turn it in to the Homework Recorder, who recorded on a posted spreadsheet whether we turned in homework or not. That took the stress of checking it off of the teacher and put the responsibilities on the students.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

That is the system I use. The only difference is the kids show it to me every day by placing it on their desk and I stamp it. All papers are turned in on Friday, and I can tell who didn't have it "on time" because they won't have my stamp on it. I take a few "late points" off of those papers. It's a great system.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I'd say as long as you assign daily and make it different so they don't all wait until the last minute. :) It works, though. I've done it before.

The only thing is spelling; that can get kind of predictable, but those who do it in advance do it then no matter what.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2007

I just have a quick question. If homework is given to improve skills (thinking math here), how is the kid who is having problems supposed to be identified if the homework is not turned in till the end of the week? (I'm thinking of the kind of kid that will not generally ask for help.) Just curious.

9. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Peachyness, that is how I did homework when I taught second and third grades. I assigned it everyday and they turned it all in on Friday. On Friday morning I would call each up individually and check them off on my homework sheet. That took up about 15-20 minutes. I never had a problem with them losing it, just some of them never doing it in the first place.

I'm debating whether to do it that way this year. I like doing it that way (and my kids are used to it), but I do want to check the math daily so I can see right away if anyone is having problems.

10. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I assigned HW everyday for 5th grade. It was checked off by tables and math was corrected and students had to correct it on another piece of paper and turned in all in on Fridays. For math I used a Universal Math that I took a piece of paper and divided it into 12 spaces. I marked the week# on the top and copied each day on a different color. Monday: Green (GO) Tuesday: Yellow Wednesday: Blue and Friday: Pink (Stop). I would basically make problems similar for #1-12, but change the numbers. That way students could check over the night before to look at for an example. You can change it any way you wish. Sometimes I would just copy a problem out of the math book and paste it on the worksheet. Remember to look over your standards.

11. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Aug 2, 2007

The teacher I worked with last year did it this way too. All homework passed out on Mon. and they had all week to do it. (Which is nice for kids who are going to soccer, scouts, etc.) I LOVED it and thought it was great.

However, having a daughter in middle school, I don't think that this method really prepares them for 6th grade and the responsibilities they will have with even more homework, sports, etc.

I like the idea that iheart5thgrade uses where she stamps it daily and collects on Friday. I might try this but am having a hard time deciding what to do.

12. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

It sounds as if it has been used effectively, but I am not convinced that it teaches them how to manage their time wisely.

This system will in all likelihood not be used in Middle School. I personally would hate to be the MS teacher having to reteach students used to this method of doing their homework when it doesn't get in the way of extra-curricular activities. How do you know a student did not understand the concept ifYou are not checking it daily?

As teachers we have a responsibility to not give too much homework understanding that children sometimes do have other things they are involved in.

Parents (sometimes with our help) have the responsibility to help their children allocate their time properly and perhaps choose not to involve their children in more than one extra activity (my pet peeve)

Iheart5thgrade: Just wondering - what is the purpose of stamping it daily, but not collecting it until Friday? What if students lose them?

13. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

The reason I stamp the homework is to make sure it is being done on time (because we do check a few problems the next day in class, and I don't want kids waiting until Thursday night to do it thus not benefiting from our daily homework review). I don't take it up until Friday because I just make the whole "packet of work" worth one 100 point grade. It keeps from me grading alot and it teaches them responsibility in keeping up with their materials.

Most students keep up with their work until Friday without any problem. Some students will lose the paper that I have stamped before Friday and if they redo the work, I give them most credit--but not all. Trust me, they only lose it once or twice before they figure out the need to keep up with their belongings.

Most all of my students have told me they love this system of homework.

14. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I do like this idea. I plan to have a homework checker as a job, that could be something that they could do, go around stamping the homework. Thanks for that idea!

Thank you all for sharing your ideas/opinions. I'll have to think about how I will collect homework now. I'm so new at this!!! Kinder was so much more easy. :rolleyes:

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Another quick question:
    Do you use this method of assigning homework for all subjects, with separate folders for each subject, or does all homework go into one homework folder? If so, do you have a particular order that you prefer them to be in?

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

I use this same method in high school! I also stamp papers with a date stamp like Iheart5thgrade does. It works really well for the older kids because their evenings are so oddly scheduled with work and extra curricular activities. I think it also helped them be more responsible because they had to keep up with everything.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Good question. I was planning on doing this for all subjects and I was going to give them a two pocket folder for them to keep their homework in.

20. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I just use a stamp that has my name on it.Sometimes if a student misplaces a paper before Friday (falls out of binder, etc) someone will find it and give it to me since they see my name (whereas they might throw it away if it just looked like a student's paper, they think it's more "official" since it has a teacher's name on it!!!)

21. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Also, as far as the question goes about using this system in all subjects...I have no idea how that would work. I've always taught just one subject. (My fifth grade is departmentalized....) I'm sure it could work, I just don't have any helpful hints for you!

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 13, 2007

I guess I am old fashioned, but I collect homework every day because I need the immediate feedback on the skill I taught:who got it, who didn't. My spelling is the only thing I collect on Friday-my kids do a Nifty 50 spelling activity. They are given several choices of spelling activities, and each are worth points. It doesn't matter what they do, as long as they turn in 50 points on Friday. My parents like it too, and it does give me feedback on what my students like to do.
    For collecting every day, I have incorporated it into what I call "check in". The kids unpack bookbags, bring me their homework and check their lunch count. This lets me circle any missing assignment in their assignment book, so the parents know they did not turn it in!!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2007

Hmmm.. well, after thinking this through and going through all of my programs, I realized that I will have to collect on a daily basis. The only thing that I will collect at the end of the week is their exercise/nutrition log and their tic tac toe spelling packet.

24. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Wow, what a fantastic idea! I wish I would have read this sooner! What else do you take grades on?

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2007

I've been collecting work on daily basis and it's been no problem so far. I have my kids put their numbers on their homework and I have my two homework checkers go through the homework for me. They just put them in order and stamp the homework so that I know who turned it in on time and who did not. Then, they circle on another form all of the numbers that are missing. They paper clip this and all of the homework sheets together. So, when it's time for me to log homework into my grade book, all I have to do is circle the ones that were missing/no number. It took me less than 10 seconds to do two math homework assignments.

26. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 21, 2007

Ooh, I like the idea of stamping the homework. Last year kids would turn stuff in late and I would end up forgetting who had it in on time. Thanks!

27. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Stamping is a great idea that I could use thanks!!!! They tld me that my first year would be hard but I am exhausted and 8 months pregnant! It is killing me! Pregnancy brain makes me write everything down!