What do you think about this idea?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jul 16, 2012.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

For the past 3 or 4 years, Ihave had one of those notebooks used to organize students homework/parent communication. I called it the "BUG"(Bring Useful Gear) Book. It had a section for homework, newsletter, money/notes to school, etc. Some students utelized it while others didn't. I know it works better if I stay on top of keepin it organized.

I am thinking of changing things a bit. I have always struggled with helping my kids stay organized in their desk. OUr math program provides a folder that has all kind of info in it(hundred number chart, shapes, days/months of the year, etc.). I would also give them a folder for reading.

It always ended up a mess(especially those who lack the organization skills).

This year, I was thinking of using the notebooks that i use for their BUG book in the classroom instead. I would just send a folder home for their homework.

In the classroom notebook, I was thinking of having several sections. It would keep their word wall, AR reading log, weekly spelling words, math facts, and a section to keep their work for reading and math.

What do you guys think? Would that be too much to keep up with? I just would really like to find a way to help them keep their desk in better shape without having a math folder, reading folder, AR folder, and a small group folder...it would all be in the same notebook....

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I've never understood the need for a BUG notebook...I use a home folder for daily homework. I send all corrected work home on Fridays in a Friday folder. I think using your notebook as a resource binder in school is a good idea.:thumb:

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

Okay, great. Now, I just need to figure out exactly what I want it to look like and the best way to organize it. :) Thanks!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

As long as you have a plan and can stay on top of them for staying organized and knowing where to put each item, I think it could work. It will take a lot of modeling and repetition though!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Definitely a great idea. I would suggest getting lots of page protectors when you see an opportunity. Way easier to change out papers each week.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

I'm planning on doing the same thing this year. Would love to see how you decide to organize.

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

The notebook would have two parts: Readind and Math. The reading part would be much more than the math.

For the Reading, I am thinking of the following:
    -Sight Word Section: After I give our beginning of the year sight word assessments, I would give each student a copy of the words they need to memorize.
    -AR Log Section: This wouldhave their log for AR. We do have the STAR Reading and Math test. Do you think it would be a good idea to give them a copy of their graph? I would give them a new one after each STAR test given(which is around once a month). I do worry that they would use that to compare with others. My students did enjoy seeing how they were improving last year(when I showed them).
    -Spelling Word/Vocabulary section-This would just be a copy of their words for the week.
    -Section for their work

Math Section:
    -Math Fact Section-This would be a place for the math facts that we are working on...it would build each time we moved to a new set of facts.
    -Math Work Section

***These are the only things I can think of for the math section.

I was also thinking about a literacy poster section. I know a website that has different posters for comprehension skills and strategies. They are in color, though. It would also mean a lot more printing than normal.

Any other ideas?

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

We study "chunks"/spelling patterns for decoding words, so I'd probably have that in the reading section, too.

For math, maybe a poster on how to decide when to add or subtract and strategies on solving a word problem? I use the read, plan, solve, look back method for my kids...and draw eyes in the word "look". Or also, showing ways to solve a math problem in general...write in sentences, make an equation, make a picture, etc.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Walgreens has had really good deals on page protectors and tab dividers the last few summers. :)

11. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Those are good ideas. I could create some kind of chart for addition and subtraction words. We would add to the chart as we come across certain words in our daily math problems.

I also thought of creating an add on as you go comprehension strategy poster.

12. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

Can you help me think of some cute names forthese binders? I am doing an Owl/polka dot theme this year. It doesn't have to be connected to that, though.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

Moose acronyms:

http://www.smithsroom.com/MOOSE_Acronyms.htm

14. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2012

Thanks! I guess the title of the going home folders can be used just as easily in the classroom. There are some cute ones on pinterest. :)