What do you think about the Oscar Pistorius case?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Upsadaisy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2014

It's a terrible story. The trial, with the judge as jury, is going on now. At first I thought he was guilty, but after watching a few 20/20 type pieces, I'm not sure. What do you think?

3. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 8, 2014

I'm like you. The 20/20 episode shed some light that caused me to change my mind. I don't think he's completely guilty but obviously not without fault.

I don't think he meant to kill her. I just believe he was a paranoid hothead and Reeva's death was the result of accidental circumstances. I do think Oscar thought he was in danger. That and there doesn't seem to be a clear motive.

I am going to keep up with the trial. The case is so bizarre.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2014

My thinking is right along the same lines. He seems to have been paranoid because of his environment and also his disability, but also a hothead.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

Either he's a murderer or a paranoid gun nut. Either way, the world would be safer with him behind bars.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2014

I missed the 20/20 piece. I wish I had watched it. :(

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 8, 2014

I'll admit right up front that I haven't followed the case too closely. However, as I understand it, he shot his girlfriend through a bathroom door and is claiming that he thought it was an intruder. If that is true, I cannot for the life of me, understand why he wouldn't yell out "Who's in there?" prior to shooting and give her the chance to say "It's me.". Wasn't he at all concerned that it might be her? How could he not check that first? He had a gun in his hand. Didn't he feel secure enough to check just in case? I don't understand that.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2014

Part of his defense has to do with the fact that he felt completely vulnerable when he wasn't wearing his prostheses and that led to his paranoia.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 8, 2014

Isn't the prosecution arguing that he put on his legs before he shot her?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 8, 2014

They want to make that point, but it isn't a known fact. I think they are using the angle of the bullet entry into the door to establish his height.

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2014

:eek::dizzy:

I'm a strong proponent of gun control, but no. You can't lock someone up just because you think the world might be safer that way. That would take our society from somewhat dysfunctional to actual dystopia in one step.

As for the case, it does seem odd that he wouldn't have confirmed anything about the person in the bathroom before shooting.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2014

I agree.

The thing that gets me is that she was already there and they went to bed together. I guess I had assumed that she just showed up in the middle of the night, so maybe she did startle him, but that isn't what happened. When they went to bed, they evidently switched places from their usual spots in bed. This meant that he would have had to reach across to the opposite side of the bed to retrieve his gun when he realized that someone was in the bathroom. Why wouldn't he have noticed that she was not in the bed?

I had also heard that she was fully dressed, not in pajamas, when she was shot. If they had already gone to bed, why was she dressed in the middle of the night?

I'm confused about the cell phone thing. Were there two cell phones in the bathroom with her?

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 9, 2014

An innocent person is dead. Either he murdered her because he's a murderer, or he murdered her because he's incredibly paranoid and has absolutely wretched judgement. Either way, unless there's some reason to believe he won't do it again, society would be safer with him behind bars.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2014

Upsadaisy, I haven't been following this trail ... at least not closely. After briefly reading some internet postings/thoughts it seems to me:

1. Pistorius fired 4 rounds through a bathroom door NOT know who was on the other side............ That is a no-no... When you fire a gun you should ALWAYS know where the muzzle is pointed and what you are about to destroy.

2. Why didn't this guy at least "announce" to the person in the bathroom ... "Identify yourself in 5 seconds or I will be blasting 9mm rounds through this door". Why wouldn't he make that one simple statement....... Again, firing a round at unknown target is a NO-NO.

There are other stories (some time before this event) about him firing a weapon out of his car when he was (apparently) upset with police interaction..... In most states here in the USA that would be suicide...... I think he is not playing with a full deck of cards..... Perhaps, he is delusional, paranoid, or just plain evil........

Again....... I haven't followed the case..... I could be all wrong about everything........ Stay tuned ......... :)

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 9, 2014

I think he will not be found guilty of whatever the highest charge is. Personally, I think he is guilty. Too many things don't add up. Or else he is one of the stupidest people out there, but I doubt it.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2014

I thought so too, at first. Now, I'm not so sure. Why didn't he do some logical things? I don't know - maybe paranoia, vulnerability. I heard on the news this morning that he had gotten ill during the day's trial. I'll have to watch more of the news to find out what that was about. Maybe he threw up or something.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 10, 2014

He did throw up. Just saw that. The whole thing is very sad.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2014

It is. There was no indication that he and Riva weren't getting along, was there?

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

There is some speculation that he was jealous that she was talking to an ex-boyfriend.

20. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

She had spoke to him the day before and only to grab lunch and catch up. I don't recall Oscar knowing about it?

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

I think that the theory is that he found texts between the two on her cell phone.

22. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

Ah. I can see that. So many details have yet to be cleared up.

I find it odd that he wouldn't call out to see who was in the bathroom, but apparently he thought Reeva was already in bed. He also had a bad habit of flipping out and grabbing for his gun when he sensed danger. He posted a similar account on his twitter page months prior to Reeva's death where he thought he heard someone in his home.

I think the jealousy motive is shaky. Maybe I'll be more inclined to believe it if other past girlfriends come forward and admit to jealousy and abuse. I don't know.

Apparently in SA violence and burglary is so common and rampant that it is normal to reach for a gun. There was a case similar to this where a man thought his daughter was a burglar. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/8870186/Father-shot-dead-teenage-daughter-he-thought-was-a-burglar.html

23. croppants9

croppants9 Guest

Mar 12, 2014

I feel he is definitely not discovered liable for no matter what maximum cost is. Actually, I feel he is guilty. Lots of issues don't add up. Or else he is one of the stupidest people out there, but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 12, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 12, 2014

It is a little weird.

I can sort of see him reacting badly in a jealous rage. I saw the reports of rampant violence and burglaries in South Africa, too; all kinds of protective measures are seen as standard there.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 12, 2014

So tired of seeing these stories. Just like the woman who killed her boyfriend and mutilated him or something. The only way I find out about them is reading them here. The news is just too disgusting for me to read/watch.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 12, 2014

It is disturbing. But, if he does happen to be innocent and is found guilty, than my heart breaks for him.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2014

Indeed. I can't even imagine how terrible it must feel to 1) be responsible for the death of someone you love and 2) be accused of intentionally causing that death when it was an accident. :(

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 12, 2014

Just about the worst kind of psychological torture I can imagine.