What do you think about rude interviewers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissB123, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017

I've been on my fair share of interview and each time is very different.

Most recently I was on an Elementary interview; the interviewers included a principal, superintendent and a current teacher. When I was in college the advice they gave to us was to research the school district's mission statement and go off of that to explain how it relates to your philosophy. So that is what I did.

The interviewers immediately shot me a look and said that my answer was terrible. I added some other information that I researched about their school and they said "that's it?" "that's all you know?". I also have a portfolio and I am a first year- about to be second year teacher. My portfolio has a lot of teacher created assessments and projects that I had given out during the year. In every interview I have mostly been asked about tests and assessments I created, but on this specific interview they stated I shouldn't even have any of it in there and just pictures of kids working and other things like that. I felt like they were giving me more advice on how to impress them for another time rather than actually interviewing me. I mean if they didn't like my answers, why didn't they cut the questions short or just go on with the interview and not hire me?
    Also, every answer that I had they said they could do it better. Such as parent involvement. I said maybe half of the parents came to back to school night (my past district had NO involvement with parents) and they said "I could have gotten them all there"

Have you ever had a bad interview? What happened and how did you get through it?
    I've had 2 interviews like this so far and it is kind of discouraging and makes me nervous for other places that I interview at.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 10, 2017

Hmmm....that does sound odd. Especially that it's happened to you twice. Do you feel that you interview well? On one hand, its hard to deal with people being rude, but on the other, at least you are getting advice on what to change if needed. Most of my interviews I feel like I've done wonderfully, so then I'm confused when I don't get the position and never really know why.

4. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017

I feel that I do interview well! I am actually not bad at interviews. I guess I've just come across rude administrators. I also frequently wonder that also, but I also do believe that positions are created for people that are related to/ or know someone in the district. I know there will always be someone out there better than me at interviews, but it is a darn shame when you know you did an amazing job and (I even got a phone call telling me I didnt get a job once) but they said my interview skills are amazing,but they went with someone who had 10 more years of experience than I did. I guess I have to figure out where I'm meant to be!

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 10, 2017

Yes, I teach in a huge district, but even here most of the positions have already been "promised" to others, or the principals have certain experience in mind that they want to see.

Maybe you've just had bad luck so far :)

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 10, 2017

I would say be happy that you don't have to work there.

I am not a great interviewer, but have only been on one interview where I felt the person interviewing me was rude. I would say I was desperate for a job, but don't know if I would have accepted that job even if offered. There were ways to say/ask exactly what he wanted while being kind.

SageScience likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2017

I had an interview with an awkward administrator. Not rude. Just didn't make eye contact. Got the job. He transferred. I'm still there. It's a great place despite his initial interview weirdness.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2017

Remember that interviews go both ways. If you're completely turned off by the process at an individual school, you have the absolute right and privilege to withdraw your name from consideration (which I have done once or twice, mostly due to the parameters of the position being different than advertised).

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2017

I had 2 bad interviews recently. The first one the P was targeting my observations and just kept asking me the same question repeatedly in different ways and was kinda nasty and rude about it. The second one the P stopped the interview and told me I sounded traumatized from my most recent school and that I needed to let it go and head to the beach. Both P's were rude, I wouldn't have wanted to work for them. Thankfully I interviewed with another P who wasn't rude and offered me a position a few days ago.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

wow congratulations! that's amazing that you found a great place to be. I hope that happens to me! It's a shame how we're all in this profession, and these people were in our spot once before and act like we aren't good enough! We're supposed to help children feel good enough, but how can we if the districts act like we're not good enough.

Bunnie and Leaborb192 like this.
  12. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

Omg thank you for sharing! That is super awkward. I'm happy to know i'm not alone but it is definitely discouraging knowing there are people like this out there.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2017

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 11, 2017

This wins the most awkward interview award ever. Lol SMH

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2017

I actually walked out on a rude interviewer once. Told them thank you, but it wouldn't be a good fit and just left them sitting there.
    Got to my car and breathed a sigh of relief that I dodged a bullet.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2017

17. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 11, 2017

My worst interview was a phone interview last summer where the interviewer made fun of my resume because I subbed the previous school year. It was not fun at all.

18. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

my mom told me I should do that... I never had the courage! One day I swear that I will walk out.

19. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

that's so rude!!!!

20. Sab

Sab Companion

Jul 11, 2017

I never had rude interviewers until today...

One of the questions they asked was "What is your organizational style?" and I said that I was very organized and keep a planner with important things or whatever, and they looked like they wanted more and I wasn't really sure what they were looking for so I said "sorry, I'm not really sure how to answer this..." and one of them screamed the question back at me in the rudest tone. Then I basically just repeated my same answer. It was so awkward and the whole interview was pretty horrible but at least I managed to not cry until after it ended. I tear up so easily at things like that.

21. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

I am the exact same way! I feel myself getting teary and I've been lucky enough to hold back. That's a hard question and a weird one because everyone's different and there's no exact answer. Sometimes I don't even think they know what to ask.

Sab likes this.
  22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2017

My very first interview right out of college was my worst experience! I had applied for a mild/moderate sped job and got an interview. The school was almost 4 hours from where I lived at the time, so about 8 hours round trip to do this interview. When I got there, the first thing they asked was if I was willing to teach in a severe needs, self-contained room for children with emotional disturbances; this set up would be me as the teacher, 3 paras, and 6 students (which shows you how crazy the kids' needs were). I told them that I was confused because I had applied for a mild/moderate position. They said, "Oh yeah, we already filled that from the interviews we did yesterday. We figured we'd bring all the mild/moderate people scheduled for today in anyway, because there is a state loophole with the licenses where you could teach severe needs also."

I have absolutely NO interest in a position like that; in fact I wouldn't take a position like that for a million dollars a year. I told them that I'd be willing to consider it, thinking that I'd at least get some interview practice after driving all that way. At the end of the interview when they asked me to ask them questions, I asked the mild/moderate teacher that was there some questions about her job. The principal said, "Why don't you ask something about the job you're sitting there interviewing for?" At that point I did end up telling them I wasn't interested in the position, but I was a lot more polite about it than I should have been. My dad had driven with me and I remember him telling me that I should have told them I had made an 8 hour trip for a job I could have told them over the phone I wasn't interested in. Since then I always verify what the position is on the phone when they call to offer an interview!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2017

Obviously tone can make a difference, but just so you know, I've been on the interview team at 2 schools and both have had very strict rules from HR about what we can say in interviews (they're trying to avoid lawsuits). We're only allowed to read the questions as written. If someone says "I'm not sure how to answer that" (which happens a lot), the only thing we can do is repeat the question. Once, I said something like, "I'm sorry, all we're allowed to do is repeat the question for you" and my principal told me I shouldn't have even said that part. People also often ask, "Did I answer your question all the way?" and we're not allowed to respond to that either. We're also instructed not to give any visual cues like nodding in agreement with an answer. I've always thought that our process may come off as rude!

24. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2017

25. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 12, 2017

Wow! I would definitely have been angry after traveling all that time. My first position was in a severe Autism/Multiple disabilities classroom. I didn't really like it, it was rewarding but just not for me. It's so difficult because at times i'll apply to my dream position such as first grade etc and I always get a phone call that say "are you interested in our Autism classrom"? In my head i'm like.. is that what I applied for??? Even though I have the Sped cert, I think if I apply for that position that's what I should be considered for. I am never considered for any GenEd positions and it stinks!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  26. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2017

27. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 12, 2017

Wow on the spot offers? They'd should give you at least a day to breathe. I'm assuming this was not for an NY school? How did your 2 Spanish interviews go?

28. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2017

Bunnie likes this.
  29. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2017

Yep, that's happened to me also. Last time I was job searching I applied to both gen ed and mild/moderate resource jobs. After several gen ed interviews I was told that I was their "2nd choice," they loved me and wanted me to work at their school...in a self-contained behavior classroom. Besides having absolutely no interest in a position like that, I have no experience in anything like that and I feel like nothing in my resume or the way I interview would suggest I'd be good at something like that. I'm a lot stronger in academics than I am with severe behaviors. They're just so desperate to fill those positions (and I can see why!)

30. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2017

I've only been here four years, but not that I'm aware of. I also was an interviewer in my first district and their process was the exact same way. I think they just want to do everything by the book to avoid lawsuits in the first place. They want every candidate to have the exact same interview experience so no one can later claim that the process was unfair.

31. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 13, 2017

I haven't done a lot of interviews, but I did have one bad experience. I had a portfolio put together with a lot of hands-on science and engineering activities that I had created and done with my kids in the past. Her response to nearly all of them was "Yeah, no. Our kids won't be doing that." And I'm just sitting there like "Okay then...".

She was a new principal at a newly built school and she seemed have this idea of what her new school was going to be like. I looked at the reviews of it a few years later, and I definitely dodged a bullet.

Here's a tip, if the admin is acting like they're doing YOU a favor by even allowing your interview for their 'wonderful' school, and you should get on all fours in gratitude, get out of there as fast as you can. The admin likely has narcissistic personality disorders, and the school probably suffers from systemic issues because they don't value their teachers and treat them all like temp workers.

The best admin treat the interview process like they are trying to build a relationship with you as a teacher and know that you are also evaluating them for being a school that you want to bring your talents to.

Leaborb192 and Bunnie like this.
  32. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2017

Bunnie likes this.
  33. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2017

I've never really had bad interviewers... I had a bad interview once because I was expecting something different... I was half time at my school, and a half time French teacher was retiring mid-year... I had expressed interest in taking her position and teaching full time for the rest of the year. My principal also wanted to have me stay. and I proposed a schedule that would make it work for all the teachers involved. I hadn't been tested on my French level in quite some time, so my understanding was that the head of the French department at the district would be interviewing me to find out my level of French proficiency. I had practiced for an interview that would essentially be assessing my oral speaking skills... and was going over important vocabulary in my head to be able to speak off the cuff in French for what I thought was simply going to be a conversational French interview. It turned out that it was actually an actual job interview in French. I was definitely not prepared for that, and it showed. She let me have the job, which was just a long term sub position, with the understanding that I would not be teaching French again. I brushed up on my French throughout the year, and then was stuck teaching French for another five years. So all in all it wasn't awful, but it wasn't what I expected.

Apart from that I've had an interview where I was brought in thinking it was a grade one position, and it ended up being kindergarten... I've had an interview where I had applied for a school level Literacy lead position, and ended up interviewing for a district level Literacy lead position responsible for 10 different schools (I was told this in advance of the interview at least).

34. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

I am also a second year teacher looking for a job. I went through a similar experience during a second round interview. The AP was extremely rude and unfriendly. It made me so nervous that I did a terrible job answering questions. It was too bad because I had done great in the first interview without her; I really connected with the principal. The experience definitely made me question myself as a teacher, and my ability to interview.
    I consoled myself by thinking if the AP was that cold during the interview, it could be terrible actually work for her and possibly be evaluated by her.
    I am still looking for a job for the fall, but I was able to secure a summer teaching job after the ordeal so I would say my confidence wasn't completely shattered.
    As stated I still have no job for the fall so I am no pro, but I suggest that you put this experience behind you and just be yourself during interviews. Not everyone will have the same opinion as those interviewers. I am not saying not to consider advice that is given to you, but some things are not so black and white.

35. MissB123

MissB123 Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Wow thank you for sharing. I definitely feel the same and its horrible as a second year teacher because I went through the whole interview process and my first job was amazing in the interview. They wanted to know who I was and just my background, it was very casual. Its so unnecessary to be cold like that! But I will definitely take your advice :)

36. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 18, 2017

I had the one I mentioned, but in one sense (in competitive markets), they don't need any one candidate...there are many to take their place. Some admins know that they are in the drivers' seat with regards to hiring teachers and act accordingly. If the market turns, that style will be completely obsolete. This "buyers' market" really gives a lot of latitude to the interviewer that some (not many) take full advantage.

37. TexasTch

TexasTch Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Well...that sounds like a place I do NOT want to teach. There is never an excuse for that behavior. I have never in my life been told that an answer was bad or wrong. They keep that to themselves and make their decision. If they can give constructive criticism, that may be good. I am finding that you never know WHAT they really want. I have been teaching for 15 years. I had a HORRIFIC experience with a principal last year, and I have interviewed MANY MANY times this summer in three different school districts. No offers. That amazes me and people who know me. I can only guess my old principal is raking me over the coals. Nothing I do or say can fix that. You use that portfolio. They don't need to even look at it if they don't wish to. A young teacher such as yourself cannot, in my opinion, be asked to provide teacher created ANYTHING after one year. You just try to survive your first year and try to get through with some learning happening. Don't let that school discourage you.

38. TexasTch

TexasTch Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Also, in regards to a "buyer's market", that couldn't be any more correct. It is precisely that. I have a lot of experience. I am way more expensive than a first year or very new teacher. I also know what I am doing, and have done a superb job every year. (You have to acknowledge your strengths, because many time, nobody else will.) I have not been hired for next year, as of yet. AND IT'S GETTING TO BE ALMOST TOO LATE. I have always been successful in interviews, but now? I have no idea what is going on. Maybe I look to "old". Sometimes, when the principal is younger than I am, and the other teachers in the interview are, as well, I get that very feeling. Can't prove it, but I have been on the hiring committees, and I know that it comes up, legal or not when discussing the candidates. So, little experience should not keep you from a job. Your youth and "newness" is probably a plus. Don't let that crazy interview get in your head.

39. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 15, 2017

I've never had an interview with some who was blatantly rude like that, but I did have one interview where it seemed to me that they already had someone lined up for the job, and that they were just interviewing me a formality to meet a quota or something because they seemed entirely disinterested in anything I was saying. The guy was fiddling around with his email for most of the interview. Just consider it a dodged bullet.

40. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 15, 2017

[QUOTE="waterfall,
    I was a lot more polite about it than I should have been. [/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter how RUDE or coarse the interviewers are, you should ALWAYS display a COURTEOUS DISPOSITION.

As part of their "personal" interview process, they will 'mentally note' how you handled Vice Principal Smith's sly remarks (and he will note it too); and they will remember, when it's time to choose the candidate.

They want team players, someone who can let the boss be the boss, and not those who are so hot tempered that whenever someone does something they don't like, they fly off the handle. :mad: No one will hire someone like that, no matter how qualified they are!

So, you were RIGHT in remaining polite and respectful. Good job!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  41. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Aug 15, 2017

Age should not be a factor when hiring someone. I'm sorry you have to go through this because you have no control over your age. That's totally unacceptable. Keep your chin up, though. You'll get hired!!!

:)