What do you think about people first language?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by GTcub, Feb 4, 2015.

1. GTcub

GTcub Rookie

Feb 4, 2015

Which is putting the person before the disability (i.e. "person with autism" instead of "autistic person").

3. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 4, 2015

It's simple and easy, so why not do it? It's so the disability does not define the person.

For example, I am an adult with dysgraphia, not a dysgraphic adult. Or an adult with epilepsy, not an epileptic adult.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2015

I am not very politically correct (by choice).

My son has autism. Any way you speak it, it doesn't change his diagnosis or the way I raise him. It doesn't change the positive way he has been treated in school while he was growing up. It doesn't change the positive way he is treated by others now that he is grown.

I have lived long enough to see all kinds of trends, both in an out of education, come and go. They usually reemerge under a different name.

Same story, new year.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 4, 2015

I always prefer brevity, but I try to do people first. I do think it makes a difference to some.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 4, 2015

I usually say that I teach students with autism. I'm sure I've said it other ways on occasion. Nobody has said anything and I don't think i would correct anyone if they didn't say it the "correct" way. I have read things in various places where they use different terms and not always "people first" so I guess it's not definitely used everywhere.

7. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Feb 4, 2015

Always use people first language! I don't want to be identified by my disability. I am "Tutor" first...my disability does not define me.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 4, 2015

Pretty much.

If someone doesn't use person-first language, I don't get annoyed or anything. Just that in a school setting, person-first should be used to sound somewhat more inclusive. But if someone slips and doesn't say it the exact right way, there's no reason to get annoyed.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2015

Agreed. I guess my argument is who decides what is the "right" way or the "wrong" way? I prefer to make my own decisions...I can do that now...I have joined the curmudgeon crowd! :haha:

10. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 5, 2015

The right way is whatever the current societal trend is - as terms change as time goes on, words that may have been acceptable in some places 20, 30 years ago, may be considered offensive now. Societies evolve over time.

Anyway, time to stop rambling nonsensically about nothing.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2015

:agreed:

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 8, 2015

A therapist I used to work with would say.....an individual living with Autism, etc. I like that the best.