What do you think about "looping" in elem school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nayelismom, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

The position I interviewed for on Friday is a bilingual Pre-K position. She said that she really lost a 3rd grade bilingual teacher but that she is opening the Pre-K position because her Pre-K teacher is moving with her students to K. The K teacher is moving with her students to 1 and so on.... I'd be nervous to work with Pre-K but it is very structured from what she explained to me. Anyway, what do you guys think about this looping idea and have any of you experienced it?

Even if you haven't heard of it or done it, what are your thoughts??? :thanks:

3. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

I loved looping to an extent. I took 100% of my kids from 1st grade to 2nd grade and then moved to 3rd grade and ended up with about 25% of them again. Doing 2 years was plenty. By the end of this year, year #3 with some of them, I was ready to see them move on.

There were good and bad things. I got to know the kids, their learning styles and their parents very well (sometimes a bad thing :p ). I got to see them grow emotionally, in maturity and academically (good thing). The start of the year was like continuing the previous year and we didn't have to take weeks to get the procedures straight. (excellent) They knew what I expected of them. I knew what they should be able to do which was a plus for me. This was a minus for them if they wanted to "slack off." We had an excellent classroom community, but this could cause problems because they kind of started acting like brothers and sisters. Think of this as "Mom, he's touching me!" Reply: "I'm not touching her (with a finger an inch from her)."

It was definitely an experience I will never forget and am happy that I got to be a part of.