What do you think about having multiple preps?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.Literature, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jul 26, 2018

I’ve personally never had multiple preps. This will be the first year. I will have 3 different preps for Language Arts/Reading.

I’ve never been super detailed with my lesson plans because I was comfortable with my class and was used to the content. However, what I’ve noticed is that I’m taking my time with my lesson plans and they are ridiculously detailed. I feel like if I don’t make them as detailed as I am, I will start to lose my mind a little bit! I genuinely do like that I’m being forced to be more organized. It’s something I am weak at and wanted to work on.

I’m also excited to not teach the same thing, 3 times in a day. I feel like this will add variety. Certain things will overlap but not by much. I don’t know. I’m just excited for something different.

What do you like/dislike about having multiple preps?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2018

In many small schools, it is the norm just because there isn’t a huge number of staff.

My most hectic year was when I taught five completely different sections of classes between two schools. I had British literature, American literature, 9th grade English, 7th grade reading, and 7th grade health.

For the last 15 years or so, I’ve had one grade level, mostly 7th grade language arts, but switched to 8th three years ago. Even with the same class four times, I have different prep work to do because the classes aren’t the exact same level. One set of basic plans works, thank goodness. I also have one, sometimes two, classes of reading or math remediation/enrichment. We don’t have to turn in full lesson plans for those, though.

My DH teaches computers, and he has three different grade levels doing three completely different curriculums.

Multiple preps is so normal for me, I’m not sure I could tell you detailed likes and dislikes.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2018

I have four preps, and I love it. My lesson plans are always really vague (standards, Then a list of activities like symbolism ppt, quiz, discussion, and then homework). I find that's all I need. I post the daily agenda for each course on the board and have a set of trays with one tray per course. I put any papers I need in there. This will be my 8th year, so it's pretty much a science now!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 26, 2018

I have four preps and like it better than teaching the same class over and over again. I need variety. And I’m a 5th-year and so I have everything pretty much prepped for for the entire year. I still have three prep periods, but I will just use them for relaxation and answering work emails and such.

6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 26, 2018

I have 6 preps..... 6 different math classes to prepare. Lesson plans are very simple. Tons of I do, we do, y'all do, you do.....

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 26, 2018

Can anyone explain in general terms how they manage assessment and grading assignments for that many different preps? How do you keep it from getting overwhelming?

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 26, 2018

Hahaha!

9. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 26, 2018

I'm in a small school and teach 8 preps. It is hard, honestly but at this point it is also a pretty well-oiled machine and I have a good grasp on what I'm doing. As far as organization goes, I use specific colors for specific grade levels - turn in bins, folder bins, folder colors. I'm usually there later - sometimes much later than my colleagues but I am also a bit of a perfectionist.
    I teach a world language, so sometimes what I do - depending on the levels of the students - is prep 2 grades together - usually PreK-K, Grades 1-2, 2-3, 5-6. It doesn't always work well to do this, and I don't do it for every theme for the entire year but it helps a great deal.

10. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 26, 2018

I never let assessments ‘sit’. When I get assessments I mark them immediately and never let them accumulate. Also, I stagger the dates where assessments are due. It’s not always possible but by and large I do that the majority of the time. So I’m never swamped.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jul 27, 2018

:yeahthat:

12. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jul 27, 2018

When I taught at a small, Catholic school i had 5 preps: four different levels of math and one religion class. I only had about 65 students, though, so that simplified things like grading. The most I've had in a public school is three, but I also had 150 students. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2018

I color coded each prep and numbered each student. Helped me tons!
    So prep one was red and the students were 1-25...prep 2 orange and students were 26-50...and so on.
    Then everything labeled those colors...bins, schedules, file folders, lessons, etc.
    I also had the students add their numbers to the corner of their work which made it easier for me to alphabetize and thus grade and see which was missing. One m-nm and they did this for me. ha