What do you "teach"/do the last week or so of school?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Exclaimation Po, May 28, 2009.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 28, 2009

A topic in the Elementary section made me wonder what secondary teachers do near the end of the year.

I'm mean and make them work up to the middle of the last week. I still have 3 weeks left and my students don't want to do anything! I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to get work out of them the closer we get to the end of the year! :unsure:

So, tell me what you do.

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

May 28, 2009

This was only my first year and we worked right up until the bitter end except for the days of finals. My state tested class was done with all the standards and content so we did a project using those a few of those standards (they had to build a house and find area, perimeter, area of the shaded, etc of various things in the house), and in my other classes we kept on with the normal working through the curriculum (not nearly as fun as the project for the kids or me :lol:)

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 28, 2009

My classes worked on a project until the last Thursday of school; reviewed for finals on Friday; Monday holiday; Tuesday 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th hour finals; Wednesday 2nd, 4th and 6th hour finals

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 28, 2009

My juniors worked on a project. My seniors, who I see sporatically at the end due to senior trip and graduation practice did some writing assignments. Letter to a freshman, letter to a loved one saying thank you, letter to themselves in 10 years. I pass on the freshman letter to the freshman teacher, the loved one letter goes in the mail on my dime, the letter to themselves goes in my file cabinet until their 10 year reunion.

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

May 28, 2009

We have about 3 weeks until exams start. We are starting a new unit in both my courses. We will complete the unit, do the assignments and then do 2-3 days of review, then write exams. We work right to the end.

7. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

May 28, 2009

The freshmen worked on their author research projects (I call it the myauthorspace project) until exam review day, and the seniors--also sporadically in attendance like Ku Alum's--did a poetry project including a poetry coffeehouse and a Robert Burns haggis day (we didn't get to have it in January as planned). We work until the very end, also, but I make sure any grading is simple so I don't get too bogged down with the end-of-year business. Teachers' last work day was Tuesday.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

Our kids take final exams; mine is June 10th.

So we're working and reviewing right up until the very last class.

9. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 28, 2009

I gave mine an independent reading project. The one's who are going to pass will do it, the one's who are going to fail won't, (one of my inner-city sanity-saving tactics...."Here's the assignment, do it, don't do it, it's up to you.") but the added bonus is that they also won't be able to act out and disrupt the class.....which in turn will not ruin my transition into summer and send me off from the school year in a bad mood. :)

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 28, 2009

We are doing a rock and minerals unit in Earth Science.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 28, 2009

Are there any other middle school teachers out there?? We don't have finals, in fact grades are due several days before the end of the school year.

teresaglass Oh! That sounds interesting!!!

12. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

May 28, 2009

I teach 8th graders and my report cards are due Monday; they graduate Friday. We have a talent show Monday, Field Day Tuesday, Grad Breakfast/early dismissal Thursday, and Mass/early dismissal Friday. But in between those things, we are painting a mural on the schoolyard. Also cleaning the classroom and writing projects. I guess in retrospect I have plenty of things to do next week! Thank the Lord I am almost DONE!!!

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 28, 2009

My kids work EVERY DAY. All next week my 10th graders are working on their research papers. My 11th graders are finishing Great Gatsby and working on their major end of the year paper. On the following Monday, they have to do a writing prompt, and on Tuesday they have their finals. And that's all folks! I guess I am a meanie, but why would I give them a "day off" when they are about to have the whole summer off? Don't get it...

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 28, 2009

My AP kids have already taken their final. They are done and we are just spending sometime on modern day history. We do work, but its all done in class and its all projects/activities.

My Geometry kids are working until 3 days before the final. Then we are reviewing.

My Western Civ. kids (who have already finished the curriculm) will do up to the French Civil War. Then we have a culminating Project.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 29, 2009

We do regular work up until 3 days before finals. Then we spend 3 days doing review.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2009

I count review as "working." Mine starts today; we'll have 7 classes of review. (though we have 3 short period days next week.)

But they're busy doing math from bell till bell.

17. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

May 29, 2009

We had finals part 1 last week, finals part 2 this week, mine were done on Wed with their finals. We end next Wed-we are watching movies and chatting the last 5 days-many of my students won't be back after today, the 29th. These 5 days, in a sense (along with a few others) are part of the days we had to make-up due to snow days in February.
    Our school lost a student Wed eve/Thurs morn, even if I did have work Thurs and today I'd not imagine they'd be doing much anyway. I'm having a couple students help me clean up the room.

18. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

May 29, 2009

I do NO in class review with my world history students. They got a packet last week that stated everything they needed to know for their final: terms (about 200 of them) and key questions. I also assignmed 10 online practice quizzes for them and I'm going to give 10, 10 question quizzes for homework that will count as a test grade.

My US history student already took the AP exam so we're doing a review project (simple group PowerPoint) in class until next Friday. We'll then present the PowerPoints. I did the same thing that I did with my World History students--online and homework quizzes.

All my classes will have a party the last day of school. My world history kids will be taking an exam on The Age of Absolutism & Exploration two Thursdays from now. We'll go over it the next day and on Monday we'll have the party.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 29, 2009

We finish the year with the novella, Anthem. It's the perfect length (weighing in at under 100 pages), it's high interest (especially for the boys), and it's not overly complicated. I finish all of my big projects 2 weeks before because I don't want to be overwhelmed with grading big stuff right as we approach graduation.

We don't do anything fancy with the novel... we read, we answer questions, we have some online discussions, and that's it. It's high interest enough that they generally stay engaged all the way until the bitter end. I make a good chunk of the exam over the novel, too, so they have a vested interest in paying attention.

The rest of the final is not content based... it's formatted like the TAKS test... so there's no real review for it.

20. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

May 31, 2009

I have two weeks left (last day June 12th). I am wondering the same thing-- what can I do these next two weeks to occupy time in Language Arts/English class? To all English teachers out there... what are some activities/things you've found useful in your classrooms? Anything other than reading novels/plays or writing papers b/c we have already done that.

Thanks a lot!

21. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 31, 2009

Mr. Middle - my team teacher has them write a letter to their next year's teacher about their reading habits. It's five paragraphs, and they include their strengths and weaknesses and info about some things they've read this year.

We'll be "working" up until the end. My grades are due the week before school gets out, so we'll be projecting, then playing review games. The last day of school is a half day, and one full day that last week will be awards/field day.

22. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

May 31, 2009

I introduced my 7th graders to their last project on the last Thursday. The project was a 6th grade survival guide booklet because I'm moving down to 6th (4 pages -- pg1 introductory letter to rising 6th graders, pg2 how to survive middle school, pg3 how to survive in Mrs. C's class, pg4 what I will always remember about Mrs. C's class). Friday we reviewed for their final test. Monday they took the final. Tuesday and Wednesday they created their survival guides. The projects were surprisingly well done-- far surpassed my expectations -- and I got to keep my sanity the last few days of school :thumb: