What do you take to your interviews with you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Aug 15, 2015.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

I am curious to find out what you take to interviews (i.e. just resumes, portfolio, or something additional).

I have created a "packet" that I take to my interviews with me that includes resume, references, certification record, evaluations from the last three years, letters of recommendation and a quote that "speaks" to me about education. All of these are in sheet protectors inside of a nice black folder. I take several to each interview. Should I add anything else or forget about the packets completely (I don't want to seem like I'm trying to hard/desperate but I really want to teach).

Thanks for your advice.

3. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

That sounds perfect. I also took copies of any important test results, credential info, clearances, TB test, unofficial transcripts or whatever else is important in your state. They came in handy a couple of times. I didn't give them out unless asked.

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 15, 2015

I do something similar to your packet: 3 powerpoints that I've done for professional development meetings, a few lesson plans, 3 letters of recommendations, and extra copies of my resume.

Rarely do they actually want to see anything that I hand to them so it's usually pointless that I bother bringing anything anyway (they all have my letters and resume online now since most districts here are paperless, and they have laptops typically in front of them if they didn't print out my resume).

At the end if they do the "Tell us anything else you would like us to know about you" question I usually say something about enjoying leading PD meetings and parent workshops and briefly go over my PowerPoints. Only 1 principal has actually asked for a copy of my PowerPoints. I emailed him yesterday saying I hope he would still consider me for a job if he still has one or if not, he still finds my stuff helpful (I could see him using my stuff and not giving me a job most likely at this point...).

5. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

I bring my 'portfolio' notebook----which no one ever wants to see. In fact, in a recent interview I pulled out examples of my parent newsletters when asked about parent communication. I went to hand them the copies and she refrained from reaching them, so I awkwardly put them back. Can you believe it?!

For a generalist interview I bring the "The First Days" book by Harry Wong and it has always been a big hit. I'm convinced I landed one teaching gig because of it. That's because it's sooo important to stress routines and procedures, which is what the book is about.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 15, 2015

LMAO!!! Basically what happens to me. No interest. I'm shocked when once in awhile someone is interested in something that I've done.

7. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

Just Copies of resume/cover letter/recommendations/certifications

I send my portfolio via email since its a website- they can view it if the'y like to before or after an interview

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2015

I'm not sure why you bring the book...isn't it enough to say your philosophy/routines are guided by professional reading such as "The First Days"?Have the interviewers actually looked in your copy of the book? Or is it more of a 'prop' that reminds you o refer to specific ideas?

9. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

You nailed it---it's a prop. And they will associate the book with me. It's always a conversation piece.

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 16, 2015

I always carried my resume, cover letter specifically to that school, reference list (and letters of recommendation if possible...I'd ask any professors and colleagues you worked with professionally), and my portfolio. A lot of times they do not ask to look at your portfolio, but it's good to have. And for myself, I had questions that I might be asked and my answers written on a piece of paper to study. Came in handy for the job I landed. Best of luck!

11. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

I make folders of my important info (resume, 3 recs, reference contact info, etc) just in case someone doesn't have a copy of something. Happens more than I expected it to!

I also bring a portfolio that has all of my reference letters, transcripts, certification, and then has a standards-based unit that I am proud of, with examples of student work. Over the past two summers of interviewing, I think I've been able to use this like 4 times. Usually if they ask the "tell us about a favorite lesson" question, I ask if I can bring out my portfolio and show them.

I have had people absolutely refuse to look at it and seemed offended that I even brought it lol

At the interview for my current job, they asked me at the end if I brought anything for them to see, so I took out my portfolio. Each person (4 total) spent a good 5 minutes looking at my materials, which was really surprising.

I'd rather carry way too much and be prepared for the random, unexpected requests than to not bring anything and look silly.

12. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 20, 2015

I'm rather fond of my portfolio! It's in a soft green 3-ring binder. I have resumes, letters of recommendation, my credentials, and examples of student work, with pictures of the students doing the work! One of my favorite things in my portfolio is letters of recommendation by former students.

I really like being able to answer a question by opening my portfolio and showing an example. The last interview I had, one of the questions was "How would a student describe you?". I have a letter of recommendation from a specific student that I shared. He started out the year not liking me, but by the end of the year, I was his favorite teacher! He wrote a killer letter!

13. ~HistoryNut~

~HistoryNut~ Rookie

Aug 20, 2015

For a job fair I put together a lot of "packets." They were in book report holders (with a clear plastic cover) so employers could flip through them like a book. I created tabs for easy browsing..."Cover letter, resume, letters of recommendation," "Certifications and test scores" and "sample of my work." The job fair was a big waste of time (they were only interviewing math and science, turns out) but I got lots of positive comments on how well organized and flashy (bright green backing) my information was in a sea of manilla envelopes. I later brought one to my job interview. The P hadn't read through much of the stuff HR sent over so he appreciated having the packet and seemed impressed that during my frequent references he could easily flip to the right page. I think I'm going to keep that system in the future.

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 20, 2015

I usually bring copies of my resume (even if I know they should already have it) , a print out of my certifications with certification numbers and expiration dates etc..... A sample lesson or two .... Letters of recommendation, and my transcripts or copies of them.