What do you suggest five staples activities for Reading/LA centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nasirahc83, Nov 17, 2010.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

Sorry for the long title, but I am a new teacher (eight weekes going strong) anyway, I am still trying to establish an effective reading/LA workshop. I already have centers but to me its so indepenendent that I am not giving that one-one instruction I desire to give my students .so now I want to create an effective Workshop schedule. Well I have 180 mins for reading/writing daily.. So i think, If I set aside 25-30mins-in the middle, I can have time for centers daily or at least 3 days a week. Okay but I am searching online and I see so many types of workshop activities such as spelling, word-builing, grammar, sentence structure, verbs, reading comprehension, writing practice and the list goes on. I only have 14 students trying to keeps groups size from 4-5 ( a total 4 groups) and since, I don't have extra table space in my class. I would just use the students' desk as the center area. Okay so my question is what are possibly five staple activities you sugguest should be in all reading/LA workshop?

3. CNB7

CNB7 New Member

Nov 17, 2010

If you don't already do independent reading, make that a center. Also, a listening center so students can listen to fluent reading. We do a fluency center where students time themselves reading passages from a series our district owns. I also do a Working with Words and use the computers for a center. If you don't have reading programs loaded onto the computers, starfall is a great website.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

I second that...independent reading, listening, some kind of word work (phonics, spelling, vocabulary, or it could change as often as you wish)...

Computers are nice and fluency is nice if needed.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

On another side...I try to hit the large areas of reading:

Phonemic Awareness (if still young enough)
    Phonics (again if young enough)
    Vocabulary
    Fluency
    Comprehension

6. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

thanks for the advice

7. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

Nov 18, 2010

My 4th graders participate in 4 literacy centers everyday.
    1. Read to self or a buddy
    2. Daily Writing. I use prompts from www.theteacherscorner.net
    3. Technology. The students research topics related to our story and create a presentation using Prezi, Glogster, PowerPoint, ActivInspire, etc.
    4. Promethean. My students will "teach" each other lessons using flipcharts or play games (usually www.spellingcity.com).