What do you splurge on for yourself?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jen12, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

Yes, it's the holiday season and it's all for doing for others, but I'm curious about what type of things you splurge on for yourself. Jewelry? Designer sunglasses or handbags? A really good pair of shoes every now and then? Expensive dinners?

What is your "I'm worth it" weakness?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

Not much...I get my nails done ever other week...most of my shoes are bought on sale...including my latest pair: suede Coach pumps...yummy.

4. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

I'm not a big shopper, so not tooo much. I do however, buy good quality makeup every few months and it isn't cheap. We also love to go to out to eat good food, which is rarely expensive but definitely more than staying home. BF and I generally trade off paying.

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

I'm not a shopper, either. My splurge is my hair. Every eight weeks I get a cut and color, which runs about $85. During the spring/summer, I get a pedicure at the beginning of every month, $35.

Beth

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

Bath products. I pretty much only use LUSH.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 23, 2012

Honestly?

Yarn and books.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2012

I get my nails done every 2 weeks and I get my hair colored every 4 weeks. That's abut $200 a month right there and that's enough. :lol:

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

Books and home stuff. I just bought 19 books on sale. With my gift card, I spent less than $17.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

:thumb: good shopping!

11. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

I buy high end makeup. It's more of "it works better than the cheaper kind" than "I'm worth it", though.

I do my own nails (gel manicure) every two weeks, and don't care much about my hair (get it cut every six months or so). I save on those aspects so that I can have my $20 eyeshadow and $80 perfume!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

And it lasts longer! You may be paying more at the counter, but you're purchasing a better product and probably spending about the same amount over the long term. I'm with you on the makeup.

13. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 23, 2012

Electronics. I may or may not have three computers for one person... :whistle:

14. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 23, 2012

Food/eating out.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

Interesting to see how many people do hair/nails. I was raised to believe that that type of thing was a ridiculous indulgence. My mom colored her own hair and did her own nails -she still does. I really don't like people fussing over me. I color my own hair and get it cut maybe twice a year if I'm down and need a pick-up. My thing has been high-end workout clothes. I used to buy the cheap stuff from Target, thinking it would get trashed anyway, but it would stretch out ravel at the seams really fast. I find that a little more money spent on clothes that take a beating make me look better and want to workout...it also lasts longer as long as my weight doesn't fluctuate too much!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

I get my hair coloured and cut every 8 weeks or so. It isn't cheap, but my stylist does a phenomenal job and I constantly get compliments on my hair.

The past few months, I've been spending more than usual on clothes--the by-product of losing 65 pounds and counting. When I get to the point where I'm not losing inches so quickly, I'll splurge on a beautiful leather jacket I've had my eye on.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I like getting pedicures and try every month to do so. I do like massages but rarely get them anymore.
    My hair is crazy so I get it cut every 6-8 weeks and highlites every 3 months and its not cheap.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2012

Hmm... a pedi has turned into a splurge these days. I get my hair cut every two months. I do buy a lot of fabric.

But my big splurge this year will be a Kitchenaid stand-mixer. I'm waiting for all of the giftcards to come in before I take the plunge :)

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 23, 2012

Honestly? I think I'm worth nice stuff all the time. However, I will never pay full price for anything. I know here to shop for deals. It probably looks like I spend more than I do on purses, shoes, clothes, jewelry, make-up, and accessories.

I don't get manicures or pedicures, though. Can't stand them.

I'm an electronics junkie, too. I live alone, but I have a desktop, laptop, Kindle Fire, iPod Touch, and an iPad. I also have three televisions and a high-end stereo system. I buy refurbished a lot.

20. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 23, 2012

OMG- are you my twin?????????:eek::p
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2012

Really nice workout clothes. I love love love having nice yoga pants and cute tanks.

I've gotten a manicure once in my life - for my wedding, at the beauty school so it was super cheap.

22. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 23, 2012

I'm still eating out waaaay too much. Must curb that spending! :eek:

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2012

Chanel makeup. Over the years, I've learned to do my own near salon quality manicure, so I can save that money.

I don't splurge on much anymore because of medical issues, but computers used to be my big one. I always had at least one new build or upgrade in progress. I miss that, but it sure can be an expensive hobby.

I tend to buy more expensive items (on sale if possible), and just buy much less often. I hate to go shopping anyway.

I do love to cook though, so nice ingredients when I can is a fun splurge. For example, I'm pretty sure I own every single kind of vinegar there is, from coconut vinegar to umeboshi plum and everything in between. It's pretty rare for me to buy a new cookbook and not have all the pantry items!

24. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

I buy a Chanel face powder every 4-5 months. It's by far the most expensive makeup item I use, as well as the best. I've tried to replace it with lower cost products so many times, but nothing compares. I refuse to try any of their other products because I can't afford to like them too much!

25. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

I travel. At least 2 weekends out of the month.sometimes its a daytrip to the French Quarter. Or an overnight trip to aMemphis and Graceland. I have sirus radio and love to drive and sing. Most often I go alone just me and my camera. Heaven on earth the open road. I take long road trips in the summer. I don't like to leave the USA, but will if it's to a beach. I don't really spend money on anything else. No fancy clothes,jewelry,or makeup.

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2012

Shoes, though I don't spend as much as people on tv do. I also get a pedicure and manicure every 2 weeks.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2012

I don't pay full price for much often, except dept store makeup since that's never on sale. I like getting good quality items on sale. That goes for clothes, shoes, handbags, & jewelry. I've bought a few pairs of cheap sunglasses. I used to splurge on getting my hair done a few times a year, but I like how I do it myself that I've saved a lot of money in that area. I've never gone to the spa or gotten a massage in my life. I'd like to travel a lot more in the future.

Same here! I get takeout a LOT!

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2012

I've always had trouble finding dress clothes that fit me properly. The only dress shirts I've found that fit me well come from a store called Express. Their shirts fit like a glove; however, they're not cheap! :blush:

That's probably the only thing I splurge on.

29. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 23, 2012

My BF likes Express dress shirts too, and they have some great sales and coupons they send out!

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2012

I don't feel like I ever "splurge". I guess I feel splurges are those purchases that you really shouldn't have made, but "Oh, what the heck, I deserve it". Maybe the fact that I don't have children to worry about changes things. :haha:

I don't do my hair or get manicures or massages...those things kind of give me the heebie jeebies. But I'll pay a good deal for certain types of bath and body products.

We don't eat out too often...never anywhere super fancy. If we can't comfortably wear jeans at a place, we're not coming.

We have some quality products in the house...Bose systems, Kitchen Aid, Vita Mix, etc. But these things practically pay for themselves over the years because they aren't always being replaced.

So, yeah...I don't really know if I "splurge".

31. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 24, 2012

The shoes seriously wouldn't be a splurge. I only buy high-quality shoes because I find the fit and comfort to be much better. I do, however, love to pick up a cute piece of costume jewelry for myself!

32. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2012

Vacations!!!

Going to Colorado for a week of skiing in under 2 weeks! :haha:

Manicures and pedicures here are super cheap. To get both it would be MAYBE $15 so it's hardly a splurge. Not that I get my nails done anyways. My novio likes pedicures more than I do:rolleyes:

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2012

I don't really splurge on myself. I think that will be one of my New Years resolutions :D The closest I get to splurging is sometimes taking a day for myself and going to Barnes and Noble to read and have lunch. I will get something fun to read and sit at the cafe with a yummy sandwich and beverage (no way I'm tracking my calories that day LOL). I use my B&N gift card that I periodically get in the mail by racking up points on my B&N credit card. It doesn't really cost me anything but it feels like a splurge to me!

34. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Dec 24, 2012

I spare no expense on running shoes. I buy the highest quality, and price really isn't a factor when I'm shopping for a new pair. Granted, I only have to buy a new pair every 6 months, so it's not an all the time type of thing.

I also tend to splurge on travel. I don't think thrice about dropping money for a plane ticket to Europe to visit some friends or to Costa Rica to strengthen my Spanish. I do think twice, to make sure I can really afford it, but as a single girl with no children, I have a little pocket of savings to dip into every now and then for that type of thing.

35. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 24, 2012

I'm pretty tight but I did buy myself a season pass to a local amusement park. I love roller coasters!!!

36. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2012

I've bought some Coach purses over the years. I had never spent money on purses, but then bought one (on sale) and fell in love. They have reduced prices on the military base, and they sometimes have 25-30% off coupons. I felt guilty at first, but I never really spend money on myself and I save money and pay cash. I figure it's an ok splurge if I can afford them.