What do you say at a job fair?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Flanny108, May 6, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

May 6, 2014

I am going to another job fair today. I'm not exactly sure what to say to the administrators that I meet. I tell them my name, number of years of experience, my recent master's degree, and the fact that I have taught a variety of different grades. I feel like these are the things that make me stand out as a teacher, so that's what I tell them

I've never actually talked to anyone about what to say. Is this right? Is there something else I should say to them?

3. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

May 6, 2014

I am by far no pro at job fairs, but i did go to one a few months back.

Find out who is going (my college had a list on their website) and research the ones you have interest in. I am middle level social studies so there were few there for me. Look through the list and pick out the ones you want to talk to, go through their websites and find into about them. Make sure you bring more than enough resumes and just walk the room and introduce yourself to the schools you have interest in. Some will set up short interviews on the spot or later on that day, kind of like a interview to see if they want to interview you for real.

Just be ready to talk about yourself, your teaching style and especially your classroom management.

Some get offers on the spot, some don't. I just used it to get a glipse into what the interviews are going to be like.

4. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

May 7, 2014

Strangely enough, about an hour after posting that message I got a call from one of the schools I interviewed with at the job fair. I have a skype interview coming up soon.

5. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

May 8, 2014

"Do you have any free stuff I can have?"