What do you put on requisition orders?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, May 27, 2018.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

May 27, 2018

After a year of my school saying we have a freeze on any purchases, I get requisition forms in my inbox. Upon asking the building secretary for a budget limit, I am told the the budget is not endless so rank the important things, but I still feel lost without a dollar amount. I also have separate forms for instructional materials. I am asked to put down specific vendor info as well. I have no idea what vendors are acceptable. I have spend the majority of the school year gettting my own supplies as needed, and I will go cheap as possible. Amazon usually has good deals.

What do you put on requisition orders? What do you think is a reasonable budget?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 27, 2018

My school has an approved vendor list and we are only allowed to use them.

My budget has been about $200.

4. ccstwelds

ccstwelds Rookie

May 27, 2018

I teach welding so it's a little different, I know what my budget is and have a P card. Any large requisitions are requested through grant money by our CTE Director. The flip side of this, Its like running a business and teaching all in one.

5. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

May 27, 2018

I have taught part time at a private ESL school. My budget was $200. The only things that I got were textbooks, spiral notebooks, and several boxes of pencils. I never got a requisition form. I instead went on donors choose and made a list of the stuff that I couldn't afford. I was lucky and got my project funded.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 28, 2018

No one here can provide you with the answers to your questions - every school/district is different. I would suggest you talk directly with your principal regarding the specific information that you seek - don't just rely on what the secretary tells you. A knowledgeable teacher in your grade level may also be able to provide you with useful info.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 28, 2018

We had a similar task this year and I agree, it's weird when you don't have any idea what the budget is.

I'd say around $100-200 is typical, but it's hard to guess.

Definitely search for some instructional materials you want too. Maybe a few good workbooks?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2018

We do requisition orders for all classroom consumable supplies (paper, notebooks, pencils, art supplies, etc); we are given budget twice a year for these materials. It's quite generous--usually between $20 and $25/student. For other materials--books, math manipulatives, games, etc, we create a "wish-list" and submit it to the P. She will approve what she is able to. If you have been advised to make a list, make one. Rank the items in order from most important to "it would be great if...". all they can do is say no to some of what you request.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 28, 2018

I usually ask for about $150-200 worth of stuff each summer. I buy personalized pencils to loan kids, art paper for projects, and ink pens the kids use to correct their work. I also always get a huge yearly calendar for the kids to use to write their activities. Every 2-3 years I'll buy colored pencils and crayons and highlighters.

10. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

May 29, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. Still in my first year, some simple things I am still unsure about. I ask my principal, building secretary and office secretary so many questions they must want to hide when they see me coming! Haha! I have been buying so much on my own dime just because my school is so poor and I can kind of afford it! The on,y bad thing about that is that it is not a good precedent to set for other teacher who can not afford extras.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 29, 2018

It gets easier and cheaper as you go. I bought a lot my first year, too, but am now to a point where I buy almost nothing. If the school isn't going to buy it, I can probably find a way to do without.

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 30, 2018

I started out buying things using my own money and spending countless hours making sets of independent activities for my students - but, one day my storage cabinet was ransacked and many of my prized materials were suddenly gone! As a natural contrarian, that devastating experience helped me to explore alternative ways of coping with the lack of sufficient funds year after year. I eventually learned to use educational technology to streamline my program - augmented with whatever extras admin was willing to provide. In the end, I was able to deliver a financially-independent instructional program without having to spend any of my own money ever again! Even if you can afford to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars every year, I would advise you to just use the materials that your employer provides - the way it was intended to be. Of course, it will also test your creativity and resourcefulness which will make your job even more interesting!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 30, 2018

:yeahthat:

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 30, 2018

Take note over the course of a year of what you absolutely need, and use that to guide you in the following years. I personally look to spend the money as wisely as possible, rather than "use every single penny available". Granted, I also buy a few fun things with my own money, but that's completely in my choosing and I could stop without any issues to their core education.

Been There likes this.
  15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 30, 2018

Our requisitions are for things like textbooks and other materials like that. For supplies like paper, pens, etc... we just send a list of what we want to the secretary and she makes one big requisition. We've never had a budget and I've never been turned down, but I'm always careful to only order things I really feel benefit our students and that I can easily defend. I've never been asked to defend my choices, but I always like to be prepared!