What do you put in your file cabinet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by janney, Aug 8, 2009.

1. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

I've been thinking about this a lot because on Monday my chore is to go through it.:woot:

Last year (my first year) it became one giant place to store stuff (I would call it junk but I'm sure there is lots of good stuff in there that I forgot about):whistle:.

Once it's empty, I'm not sure what to do with all three drawers. I don't need student communication/conduct files--I keep those in a bag and they travel with the students. I only have about 1 file worth of masters because we don't use a lot of worksheets.

So, what do you put in your file cabinet?

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

copies of lessons, tests, ideas, professional readings, my kids files with all of their tests in for the year, their writing folders, centers (I have a bunch of file folder games and centers), sometimes just for storage...depends on how organized of a year I'm having. My goal this year is to be VERY organized...

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

Lesson plans: I have a drawer for each subject area, worksheets, student files, and general resources. You will find that you will collect more stuff as time goes on and then you just might need another file cabinet.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

Too much crap I am trying to go through and throw out. It is amazing how much stuff you save when you have been in the same room for 10 years you thought was so important and then never looked at again! Am I allowed to say crap? I'll soon find out.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2009

I use binders for my reading basal and required math series, but if I supplement that week's lessons as I usually do, I make a second copy and put it in a file under objective. I also keep game cards, reading manipulatives that I've made according to objective as well.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2009

I forgot the most important file in the cabinet. It's actually five folders now. I keep those parent notes thanking me for making such a difference in their children's lives, those that say little Johnny used to hate math or reading or coming to school, but now doesn't want the school year to end, and of couse, the notes from the children themselves. I call it my reason for teaching file. During a typical year, I may not even look at it except when cleaning out my filing cabinet at the beginning or end of the year, but there are some years I may look at it often to remind myself why I am doing this incredibly hard job.

8. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

I have 3 file cabinets that are full! :eek:

One houses my files, old lesson plan books and my good printer paper.

One houses my teacher resource books. I can't leave them on a file cabinet because the custodian doesn't want to move it because it becomes too heavy. They have also been known to disappear when I am gone! :mad:

One houses "crap"-oh I mean good stuff! One drawer is for my para and one drawer is for my personal belongings-purse, etc.... I also keep a variety of other things in there.

9. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 9, 2009

Hi...I just spent 3 days (!!) cleaning out and organizing my filing cabinets. I have 2 4 drawer ones. I made headers for each section within each drawer, so I can find things quickly. I now have a drawer for Reading/Language Arts, Math/Social Studies/Science, Seasonal (clip art, craft activities; separated by season and holiday/special event), Special Education (all my resources). The other cabinet has past student files and I'll put my purse in a drawer (now that I have room!). I also still need to put my PD materials in a drawer as well.

Good luck! I didn't think I had so much stuff. It was 9 years accumulation. I probably sent 3 cases of old papers to the recycle bin. So now I have tons of room...and I should be able to find things without searching all of the drawers.

10. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 9, 2009

This is my 4th year at this job, and although I have cleared out most of the junk I inherited when I came here, I still have a "catch all" drawer that I use to put stuff when I need to quickly clean up an area. If I have a cluttered desk the day of Open House or conferences, the clutter goes in the drawer to be dealt with during my next planning period. The clutter drawer has really helped me appear super neat and organized on many occasions.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

I had 2 filing cabinets. One drawer was a catch-all, another was for my purse, tylenol & other personal stuff, my June drawer, & student files. This was my locked filing cabinet. The other one held my seasonal stuff.

12. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

1 filing cabinet has a drawer for each subject - I keep my curriculums in there.

another filing cabinet (with a lock) houses my laptop and other electrical equipment.

I spent a half day cleaning these cabinets out but it was so worth it!!!

13. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Aug 9, 2009

I love the idea of a clutter drawer! :)

14. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

Thanks for all of the ideas.

I like the idea of a clutter drawer as well. I wish I had a lock for my cabinet, it was brand new last year.

15. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 9, 2009

That is precious! What a fabulous idea!
    Thanks for sharing!

16. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 9, 2009

I have *gasp* 5 filing cabinets. 2 full size and three 2-drawer

Let's see top to bottom, left to right I have:

#1 Full size:

Professional Development/Personal Development-PD training notes, personal evaluations, portfolio items etc.
    Math-all in red folders, sorted by GLE topic
    Science-all in green folders-sorted by GLE topic
    Social Studies-all in orange folders-sorted by topic

#2 Full Size-
    Cooperative Learning/Seasonal-Kagan book, cards, seasonal folders (by motnh or holiday)
    Reading Series- yellow folders by story
    Small Group-Yellow folders by skill
    Writing-blue folders by trait, type of writing

#1 Small Filing Cabinet-
    District Resources- BIST handbook, Curriculum notebook, Staff Handbook
    Filing Supplies- colored paper, cardstock, extra folders

#2 Small Filing Cabinet
    Personal Drawer-purse, etc
    Desk items-I got rid of my desk this year so this drawer has extra paperclips, staples etc.

#3 Small Filing Cabinet
    This cabinet actually is where I teach from when I'm up front it has overhead manips, teaching tools etc in both drawers

17. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 10, 2009

two files full of STUFF that I must eliminate but am too guilty because I'd need to either shred or pitch so it stays for year #4. I need help.

18. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

I color coded my files!

Student files (yellow writing portfolios, blue parent communication, red reading folders)
    Math files (blue)
    Language Arts files (yellow writing/grammar, green reading)
    Science/Social Studies files (red social studies, purple science)

Then I have monthly folders with seasonal stuff too. I have a cabinet with plastic bags, files from student teaching and college that I don't think I've even touched since teaching, and other "stuff". I really need to clean out these files. I have so much stuff I don't need. And so many files that are disorganized. I also hate that I have those wire file holder things, that always fall apart and my files are flopping around and sooo messy looking. I hate it.

19. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Two file drawers in my desk: one for student files (incl. notes, examples of work that I want to share w/ parents or remember for report card comment examples); other for management-type stuff: copies of my monthly calendars and the clip art I use to decorate them, one for field trips, one for current copies (worksheets, etc that I make ahead of time), one for Scholastic orders... I also have file cabinets that have the files for each unit I'm teaching, but for each unit (esp sci/ss) I also keep a box (like from copy paper or office file box) labeled for that unit with all of the books, materials, etc., that I have collected for that unit. When I had limited space in a small classroom, I could keep those boxes in the school storage space and pull them as I needed them. Each is labeled with the unit topic and also some of the main resources in there, especially for topics that might overlap. Now that I've been teaching for over 20 years at levels preschool-high school, regular classroom, gifted ed, and music, I am so glad I came up with a system! My stuff takes up half of my basement (no joke--I have 15-20 file boxes, 6 lg rubbermaids, 3 lg b-board boxes...!), but I know where everything is and can pull what I need at a moment's notice!