What do you pack for lunch?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Joy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2011

Same here. I love to cook and bake, though I get lazy about cooking regular meals.

People always assume I eat flavorless, boring and not fun food just because I am vegan, and it couldn't be further from the truth.

2. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Exactly! I mean, I don't live to eat, but when I do I make sure that i actually enjoy what I'm eating. It just so happens that all the food I love happens to be junk lol.

You are so lucky! Send him my way Wilson- I'd love to have a chef at home!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2011

Home made Hot-Pockets!!! I used to make a huge batch on a weekend and freeze them. They would last me for two weeks. I would make different kinds and so when I would eat it at work, it would be a surprise which one I had. I'm vegan, so I made mine with soy cheese and all that. :D

I would make cheese and broccoli, vegan pizza (with various types of fillings), etc. Yum!!!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

I use the Ziploc containers - I actually find they work best. They also come in lots of different sizes.

5. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Thanks! Yes, I do like the variety of sizes! :)

Yum.... do you have a recipe or website how to make the homemade hot pockets?! :)

6. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Yummy!! I never thought about making homemade hot pockets. Heck I never really thought of it as a possibility... Good Idea!! :thumb:

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

I always take the lazy way out and buy a pre-made salad in the cafeteria at school. I have to stop that because I know I get ripped off every day! All of your suggestions sound very good, so I am definitely going to refer to this thread once school starts. By the end of last year I couldn't take the salads anymore!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

I moved and can't seem to find my recipe (it's written down on a tiny piece of paper). I will look for it and share it. I am currently perfecting a pizza muffin recipe. I made a batch last night an it's almost perfect. I think that would be good for lunch too. :)

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

I started bringing my own salads at the end of the year last year, and I'll probably continue it next year too. Super inexpensive, super tasty, and super filling!

I use regular iceberg lettuce, grape tomatoes sliced in half, croutons or seasoned tortilla strips, and whatever other veggies I have on hand. Usually that means raw julienned zucchini or carrots, red or green cabbage, corn, black beans, or cauliflower.

I make my own ranch dressing because there's something in bottled ranch that doesn't taste good to me. It's in every single brand I've ever tried, so I think it's a preservative or something. Anyway, here's my recipe:

1 cup mayo
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon each chives and parsley
    1/2 tablespoon each dill, garlic powder, and onion powder
    1 teaspoon each seasoned salt and pepper
    squirt of lemon juice

10. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

If you find it, I'd like the recipe too!

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

I usually bring left overs from the night before. I also make a quick sandwhich or wrap, throw in a fruit and something sweet like pudding and I am good to go. I hate packing a lunch. It seems my grocery bill goes up during the school year because I am buying things for lunch. During the summer, my lunches are not so planned out and I can eat whatever is on-hand.