What do you need if you want to sub in a different school district?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mayaly, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

You are already a sub in one district, how to sub in a different district?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

You have to apply to the new school district and follow their process for becoming a sub in their district.

4. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

so you need pay the money you paid for your local district? (something like over $100, almost around $200 in total.)

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 16, 2009

You won't need to get a separate substitute license for each district if that's what you mean. That's handled by the state.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2009

It's likely to vary a bit from state to state - and even from county to county or district to district.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

Here you go to the country ISD & sign up for what districts...well, that's how it was done when I subbed.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

I haven't had to pay anything to get on sub lists; I've just had to apply and be interviewed (usually it takes awhile to be interviewed since they schedule them sporadically) and then wait to be board approved. There are districts around here that don't have the interview, though. Also, my fingerprint clearance is on file with the state, so I haven't had to redo that yet, but there may be districts who require new fingerprint clearances in order to be hired. But as others have said it varies widely from one area to another; every district where I live has their own application and process for hiring subs.

9. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Sep 16, 2009

I went to the website of coutry ISD. Where did you sign up for subbing? I didn't find it. It just has the schools name and info.

10. azure

azure Companion

Sep 19, 2009

$100!!! You've got to be kidding. They're making money on that deal, unless they're hiring a private detective to do the background check. Here it's $15 paid to the state to run a check with the police.

11. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

It just depends on the districts policy. I have been hired to sub in two districts. One is a very large district in need of subs (usually) so I did not have to pay for anything. The other district is smaller so I had to pay a fingerprint rolling fee and pay for the background check. It was around $60... not ideal but worth it in the end.

12. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

My total sub fees so far for this county have been about $400.

-CBEST - $100 (not counting the $25 for parking and $6 toll, or gas)
    -Background check w/fingerprinting - $90
    -2 mandatory seminars - $100
    -mandatory physical - $50 (I don't have health coverage so I used their recommended doctor)
    -TB test - $15
    -processing fees - $40

I've yet to start working and am beginning to get somewhat annoyed.

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Oh man it's a wonder there are still so many people who want to substitute!

Compare this to how much subs actually get paid!

14. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 29, 2009

Show the same paperwork basically but they'd do their own finger printing or ask you to do it and bring it to them. But, CTC clearance is done only one time for life.

15. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 29, 2009

I guess you signed up with the wrong district:)

16. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

It covers the 40 districts in my county, which is like 70,000 students. The sub pool is 3,000. About 20 districts, I've found out, aren't taking subs. I'm signing up for the OTHER 20. Unfortunately, this means not subbing for what I want nearly as much (high school) and tons more elementary subbing.

Unfortunately, the district next to me, they don't take subs who don't have a full teaching credential, period.

I'll make the money back in 3 - 4 days, so I'm not super irritated, but they have me on a DOJ wait list now and this process has taken forever, so I'm antsy. Not to mention how long this has taken.

At LEAST I hear subs are getting steady work here. That's the bright side.

17. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 2, 2009

The only fees I have incurred so far are for fingerprinting. It generally costs between $35-$70 per district. So, I've paid close to $200 to get on the list for 3 districts, because of the fingerprinting costs.

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

I'm sorry... but i am SHOCKED!

Yes.. I had to get my teaching certificate...but that was for ME (*I* can take it anywhere)-so I don't look at it as for A dsitrict. And I had to get a physical and TB test...but again that is a cost to ME getting a job...not to A district.

Past that... I paid NOTHING for the background check, the fingerprinting, the seminars (beginning subbing meetings, on-line how-to tutorials about subbing that were more jokes than really anything that TAUGHT me any tips at all). NOTHING!

You PAID to get on lists????? Wow! (SOME districts are making money! Sounds like a Costco-type School - you pay to join.)

All I did was apply. (And these weren't desperate/bad districts.) There are a few around here that interview-but those weren't the ones I chose. I sub for three districts. The town I live in. The town next door - which is one of the highest rated in the county (figured it would be good to see what makes them so successful). And one 20 minutes away; where I student taught.

NONE of them asked me to pay a CENT for a background check - neither did the county that did one of the background checks (the others did their own). That was the SCHOOL'S expense. Not mine.

(Glad I am where I am!)

Maybe it's a California thing.

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I am in CA and I did not have to pay for fingerprinting (the district paid for that). That is true, you will make back the money that you paid.