what do you love?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by chrissy, Oct 12, 2007.

1. chrissy

chrissy Rookie

Oct 12, 2007

I just received a check from my school for $277.00 to buy things for my class. I'm a brand new teacher and I would love to know some things that you use with your class that you just could not live without!

3. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

I couldn't live without....

My individual student whiteboards (each about the size of a student desk), markers, and mini-erasers that go along with them.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 12, 2007

A really good pencil sharpener is a must.

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007

Are you talking about extra fun things to have in class? or the basics?

Basics = great bulletin/wall items that stay up yr. round.

Fun stuff = wow; I wouldn't even know where to begin?! I've never had such a great offer before!

Have fun with whatever you do! :love:

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 13, 2007

math manipulatives; colored dry erase markers; blocks; rubber animals/reptiles/insects; pencil sharpener; good stapler; maybe a subscription to a magazine like Mailbox, or to a good website; books! good quality supplies for your desk if the school does not supply things; very few "how to" books - be very selective.

Have fun!

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2007

a digital camera

8. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Oct 13, 2007

Let me add a laser pointer to the list. I randomly write my high freq. words on the white board. Stand in the back and point. The kids love it.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

books for a great classroom library. I have about 45 book baskets that go with topics/ authors. It's great! A basket for snakes, a basket for david Shannon, a basket for poetry, etc.

10. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Oct 13, 2007

a big easel, mine is a magnetic whiteboard with baskets underneath (it might be too expensive though)

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2007

Lots of stickers and stamps with stamp pads in all colors!

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 13, 2007

A pocket chart with a rolling stand.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2007

I would agree with others who said excellent pencil sharpener and student whiteboards. If you don't have them - bean bag chairs or floor pillows or area rug.

14. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

What a fun question!!!

I use my dry erase boards a lot!!!!
    www.reallygoodstuff.com has nice lined dry erase boards. They are expensive but would be nice.

I think you can order cheaper ones at schoolsupply that are unlined.

I bought a set of first grade word wall words that you have to punch out. I laminated them and put magnets on the back. This is used a lot by my students and for teaching! The set was maybe 25 dollars. The magnets maybe 10 dollars.

Lots of tubs from the dollar store! Baskets to organize thing etc.

I still think the best resource for first year teachers (I'm a second year teacher) is www.readinga-z.com There are handwriting pages, leveled books and lesson plans.

I still really liked buying a reproductible forms books. My first year I bought one of these and it made it easier so that I didn't have to make all of the forms.

Mailbox magazine is great! It has great classroom tips/ organizational ideas. (Make sure your school library doesn't subscribe first)

I just bought, The Organized Teacher this year. It has a few good forms and checklists for open house, conferences.
    etc.

I bought a lot of workbooks about word families, word family poems etc.

15. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

Hmmm... That's a hard one. I'd get an easle and pocket charts first but spend the rest of my money on math manipulatives for myself and math games to teach all of your math strands. I have used these more than anything else. Kids in 1st also love stamps of sight words, number stamps that are in dotted form for kids to write over in marker, and any kind of magnetic letters and numbers to use at the magnet center (2 filing cabinets butted up together). Or you could start a listening post and get walmart cheap tape players and 1 book and 1 tape in sets from Scholastic. I always spend my scholastic book order points on classroom books to teach from so I'd save book money that way and you always get 4 or 5 free books each book order. Paint dotters are good too, pricey but they last a long time and 1st graders LOVE them. I've seen them at dollar stores too so you could get some there on the cheap. Happy spending! :)