What do you love to buy at the Farmer's Market?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 16, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

I don't go every week, but I do like browsing the food section. I usually buy flowers for sure and sometimes kettlecorn made fresh right there (oh with that aroma it is hard not to buy it! :haha:).

I do love fresh pears but I need to check out some other fruits. The fruits are kind of pricey so if I get some new ones this week, I'll just choose a few for variety.

I love being able to bike there and then just wear a backpack! I hope for sunshine! :thumb:

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2011

Swiss chard. I love chard, but it's so expensive. I'm hoping the chard I planted will keep doing well.

I also buy fresh herbs and whatever nice looking organic produce I can find.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

how do you fix chard? I've never had it.
    I've heard Kale chips are good but never tried to make those either! Time to try new foods =)

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2011

I don't care for kale, but Swiss chard is yummy any way you prepare it.

I steam it lightly and make roll ups with various fillings, or sauté it with some lemon pepper, make a tofu Frittata with it, use it in enchilada or lasagna fillings, sauté with some olive oil, garlic, shallots, and mushrooms , then use it as a filling for crepes, sometimes with a vegan Hollandaise sauce.

Really, anything you do with spinach is great with chard. Rainbow chard is so pretty. You can eat it raw too, but I prefer it very, very lightly steamed.

Kale is a lot "soldier" and has a rougher texture, but chard is similar to spinach texture wise.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 16, 2011

ah, thanks for the tips!

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 16, 2011

i love kale chips!
    i'll buy flowers, corn on the cob, jersey tomatoes, blueberries, pies etc..

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2011

ours is on our town square every morning :) I usually buy sweet corn, tomatoes, cukes, and great Indiana melons of all kinds.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 16, 2011

I've never been to the one in our town, but I can't wait for the old guy with the sweet corn to sit alongside the road with his corn in the truck. Yummy!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2011

We have a HUGE one up here (actually several large ones) and I go every week and try to do the majority of our shopping there. I have a little cart I pull around.

This week I hadn't been in a few weeks with the craziness of the end of the school year, so I really stocked up. I got a dozen eggs, 4 pork chops, 2 lbs ground beef, a flank steak, some apple maple sausages, lunch meat and cheese. I know all the meat is hormone and antibiotic free and raised locally - I talk to all the stall owners about the food.

In the winter, the produce stands have to import their produce, but this time of year the "locally grown" signs start popping up, so I stick with those items. This week I got cherries, 3 qts of strawberries that will be turned into jam later today, spinach, a variety of summer squash, and Brussels sprouts, and a couple tomatoes.

I also got a gallon of raw milk, a half dozen bagels, a big container of maple yogurt, and a gyro for lunch.

I have also bought herb plants and other plants, flowers, premade meals, nuts and trail mixes, bread, and other baked and canned goods.

I have to avoid the Amish ladies with their baked good stands, though. Sticky buns, whoopie pies, dumplings... That is the really hard part. Sometimes I will get myself a treat.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

The Farmer's Market in Minneapolis out of this world! I wish I lived there. The one in our small town is waaaaaaay too small and expensive.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

We have more roadside stands. Corn, apples, strawberries!!
    We have only really gone to the Farmer's market a couple of times.
    Luckily when I was younger we had a lot of stuff of our own from the garden...

Sidenote... strawbale garden is still growing... Hoping something will actually make it & produce something!!! Raspberries we transplanted a couple years ago have quite a few berries... can't wait to be in the yard a grab a few... ORGANIC... I didn't spray them with anything!!!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 17, 2011

I love finding the honey stalls. We have some excellent beekeepers in the region and their stuff is usually better quality than grocery price. Also, there are certain dairies around here that have the most amazing goat cheese I've tasted.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

Ours is on our town square every Saturday. This morning, I just bought tomatoes because I was in a hurry, but I usually buy whatever fresh veggies they have. Last week it was zucchini, 2 kinds of squash, peaches, cantalope, and cucumbers. We always buy our honey there, because it's local, it really helps during allergy season. My husband eats it on his cereal every day and he had no allergy problems this year.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2011

I have a few around me that are open 6 days a week. I get tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, melons, lettuce, potatoes, corn, green beans... you name it! I love all the farmer's markets around here. :)

16. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jun 18, 2011

I went to the Minneapolis one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome! I can't wait to go later this summer when things are local, 2 weeks ago most was shipped in due to the late plantings this year.