What do you LOVE about being a sub?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by aprilgurlie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Well everyone, it's time to get positive for the new year! I haven't found a teaching job this year, so I will be subbing. But I am just resolving to make the best of it and have a positive attitude.

I know that for me I am going to love not having to take my work home with me!! :)

So what do you say, are you with me? :) What is wonderful about subbing??

aprilgurlie

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

You don't get bored. Every day you will be in a different grade or school. I like that. Some consider it a negative.

You get to see what ideas you like in every classroom, and what you don't like.

Most of all, no matter how bad the class is..... remember you might never have to deal with the same bunch again:D

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

nothing? c'mon subs speak up!:)

5. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

Like MissFrizzle, I love the fact that I get to see different classrooms, behavior management systems, and procedures- that is the best part of subbing for me. I also enjoy meeting new students everyday.

And if you want to get a teaching job--> connections, connections, connections. ;)

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 22, 2006

I like not having to take work home. I also like the fact that you don't have to work for a lousy school or class. It is also a great way to check out schools and districts to see if you want to work there. Terry G.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2006

You never get stuck too hard to an annoying boss or coworker.
    Sometimes you get to have fun with the kids because the teacher doesn't really need you to cover anything.
    If the kids start off with an ok attitude towards you, you usually don't stick around long enough for them to stop liking you. The days when I feel loved almost make up for the nighmare days!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2006

I'm not a sub anymore, but was several years ago. Here are some of the perks:
    -no report cards
    -no huge piles of marking
    -no major planning
    -you don't have to work everyday if you don't want to--go ahead and make those lunch plans or go on your child's field trip
    -getting to know lots of great people!

9. codename:m.o.m.

codename:m.o.m. Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I love meeting new kids. I love it when the students prefer me over their regular teacher...they walk into the room in the morning and say, "YES!" No work to take home and usually no planning for the next day. I get to leave early. If it is a bad experience, I don't have to go back (I can't recall that ever happening, though)
    I love how I learn so many great ideas just from working in another teachers room. I learn from them and they are not even there!:D Oh yea...I love not having to be responsible for the grade cards.

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2006

mom-- you are a sub and cannot recall having a bad experience?! Are you real?

11. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 23, 2006

I like the variety of schools, grades, kids. Its fun to experience something new each day, don't get me wrong I would've liked to have got my own classroom this year, but since I didn't I might as well be positive. As mentioned on here, subs don't have to deal with grading papers, planning, lessons, conferences, meetings, coworkers, administration, and all the daily pressures associated with being classroom teacher. You get to enjoy teaching and not have to deal with all the paperwork. Plus, like someone said on here, if you get a bad group, you may never have to see that bunch again.

12. codename:m.o.m.

Aug 23, 2006

The closest thing I've had to a bad experience was showing up and there were no plans left for me. That happened last year when I was a teacher aide and was asked to sub for a teacher at the last minute.

I have had plenty of bad experiences being an aide. The students were great, but some of the teachers were very difficult to work with. All I can say is I felt like a slave to them and I was not treated as a colleague even though I was required to have my teaching certificate for the job. I have had jobs working with teachers before and never had any conflicts or issues like I had being an aide...I think it was the personalities I was working with. I have no problem doing whatever a teacher needs me to do, however I expect to be treated like a fellow teacher not someone who is beneath them. I'd take subbing anyday over being an aide. Actually, I think I make slightly more being a sub, since I don't have to pay "union" dues.

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 23, 2006

I'll have my own class this year, and put my 5 years of subbing behind me, but what a lot of great things I learned during that time. I think when you do get your own classroom, you are more sensitive to the sub that will eventually cover your class, and just the things that subs deal with in general. :) One thing I really liked was getting to work a lot at one particular school. I made some good friends there. After awhile the kids got to know me well too, and several thought I was one of the regular staff members. Also, word got out to other teachers that I was a reliable substitute, so each day I'd sub another teacher would come up to me, "Oh, do you have tomorrow available?!" :) It was great.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2006

DITTO....
    Plus..
    -No teacher conferences
    -Not a lot of paper work ie. filling out sped requests, student files
    -Can plan your own schedule
    -Getting to meet all the kids
    -Not all the prep work before school starts, during school, after school, all summer!!!

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 25, 2006

Paras are colleagues!

Special education teachers have a very hard time without their assistants. Paras should be appreciated. Any teacher who treats a para like a slave is an egotistical moron. For special ed. principals will often hire aides with several years experince to become teachers. this happened to two aides at the last school I worked at. One of them got a job as an Intern in my favorite school district. Terry G.

16. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 25, 2006

I love the look of recognition when a previous student remembers me when they walk in their classroom (especially if I don't remember them!). It feels good to hear "Sweet! It's Mrs. Goatess!" and know it's about you, not just them being happy the regular teach is out.

Addition: How often to regular classroom teachers get a reception like, "Oh you're our teacher today! Awesome!"?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  17. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 25, 2006

I just subbed my first day today-in Kindergarten, no less! I can say that one thing I love about subbing is getting there and learning that the student teacher is going to be doing all the work and YOU get paid! :) lol Of course I assisted and made myself useful by doing a lot of die cutting, but that was easy money!! :)

I also love getting 6 more jobs from one because other teachers ask if you can sub!

I know not every day will be so easy, but it was a nice first day.

18. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 26, 2006

Sounds like a plan to me. :) I never subbed so I'm not exactly sure how it all works. I admire you all for the bravery you have of going into a different classroom everyday and not knowing exactly what you are going to do or what problems you might run into like things missing, lesson plans not done, rotten kids, etc. Bravo to you!

I do know that at our school at least, there are about a handful of subs that most people want in their classrooms. It's nice to have someone you can trust and who knows the expecations of your room and so on. I hate having to come back to my kids after having a sub and reteach what I wanted them to learn in the first place and/or unteaching what the sub taught them. One time, I had a sub and he was supposed to teach them about median in math. Well, he took it upon himself and taught them the mode and mean as well. Boy, were they confused little second graders. It took me two days to convince them that they didn't need to know about the others yet. Oh well, I think he was just trying to help but, whooh boy.

19. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 26, 2006

Yes, you will have THOSE subs, I had a couple of bad experiences with subs last year. One was really mean and took off recess minutes for apparantly no reason (my team reported this, not the students) and then told a bunch of my kids they had detention. Another one made his pecks dance for my class! :confused: He didn't come back!

I think that being a classroom teacher is going to make me a good sub, because I know what to do and what not to do! I also will be better at making up plans on the fly then I would have been right out of college.

I love having a WEEKEND again! I was just telling my husband that normally on a Friday I would be making up a list of things to do over the weekend-but now I don't have to, I am just waiting for a call!

If my husband starts making the BIG bucks, :D who knows if i'll want to go back to full time teaching! lol

20. jadie

jadie Rookie

Aug 27, 2006

I love walking down a hallway and hearing, "Are you subbing for us today? Oh man, when are you going to sub for us again?" I also love all the hugs from the kids! I also love being in different classrooms and seeing all kinds of different ideas. I love that I can spend time with my 2 year old and still have employment of some kind.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2006

Ditto

When I was leaving at the end of the day, the secretarys would try to "book me " for days in advance if they were aware. I liked knowing and not having to be rudely awakeended by the phone ringing...:D

22. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

Wow, it was great to hear all of the positives about subbing! I just finished my teaching certificate in June and have been unable to get a teaching position. I was lucky to have several positive interviews but always seemed to be up against experienced teachers. So, here I am getting ready to sub! I am looking forward to all of the learning experiences I will have and getting to know all of the schools in the area.

Any suggestions on how to prepare? I was going to put a book together of lesson plans and teaching ideas for each grade level, in case I arrive and there aren't lesson plans ready. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Good luck to all of you and keep up those positive attitudes.

23. MillerJ

MillerJ Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

I like that I am exposed to different classroom procedures, situations, and students each day I step in to sub. I am learning so much about the typoe of teacher I want to be when I do get my own classroom. Most importantly, I am learning what grade levels I prefer, and that I'll do better a job at really relating to that age. And. on top of all of these wonderful classroom experiences I am learning not to doubt myself as a teacher. Each time a student looks at me and shows that they really understand what I'm saying is such a wonderful thing! Its these little "wow, I get it!" looks that make it so fulfilling.

Every day is different, every class is different, and each day is a new challenge. I am growing so much as a teacher, which is probably what I love most (besides the students) about subbing. I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that what I thought I wanted to teach, I am now reconsidering.

Basically, I am having a blast subbing thus far!

24. SubbingMama

SubbingMama Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

I agree with everyone else that said being recognized as a good sub is one of the best things about being a sub. I love when I walk down the hall and a kid will say, "Yes, it's Mrs. Buell!" I love being able to walk away from a situation that is bad and now that I don't have to be emotionally involved in it because I won't be there day after day. (That might sound harsh...) I love seeing different classrooms and how they are decorated. I love the flexibility of days to work.

25. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Everyone else pretty much hit on all of the perks already. I think being a sub is like being a favorite aunt versus a mom. No accountability! No lesson plans, no testing goals!

I love that part! Not that we only goof off because I make it a point to tell the class that my job is to do exactly what their teacher wants me to do. We cover everything on the sub plans, and I really work with the kids, helping them learn what they're supposed to be working on.

But as an incentive to buckle down and focuc, I tell them that if we have time left over, we can do the fun activity I brought. It's always standards-based so the administration is happy. And it's always hands on and very engaging so the kids love it.

I don't have to be tough on the kids because I make it clear that they show me they want to participate by their behavior otherwise they are welcome to do worksheets at the back of the next classroom while the rest of us are having fun.

Subbing offers freedoms. But the pay is not so good. And no benefits. :(

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2006

Think of backup games that would fit in multiple categories that can be either made on the spot or done on the spot. Have a list of these ideas ready. Also think of crafts using standard supplies and have these ready. Then if you walk into a classroom and they don't have anything formally planned, look at what books are available (is this a read aloud group), what is their schedule, ask the students what their favortie part thing they have been learning (they will catch you up) then be prepared to make up some stuff on the spot, or allow them time to finish some things that haven't previously been finished (if they can tell you where these items are).

As an aide, I'm developing these types of strategies just so I can help the teacher think of new things to do or something old we haven't done in a while. For example, we did WORD bingo the other day. Word Searches can be done on the puter in the classroom during prep time using THEIR words. Hangman is on the spot. Jepardy or Trivia for older group. Outside trips to collect leaves to make a fall craft for a younger seasonal craft. A worksheet making predictions or introducing the class pet to me would be another.

Knowing basic curriculum themes for each grade would be handy for idea gatherings but not necessary.

27. tech ok

tech ok Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

the best thing about subbing , is being off when my son is out of school. this is a new career for me . i worked at GM for 27yrs. but still needed to work, so this is going to work out fine for me.

28. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 14, 2006

Gosh, I rather miss subbing.

Anyhow, the best thing about it is being called in to fill in for a teacher that has a Student Teacher in the classroom. That's nothing but babysitting and had to be the easiest money I had ever earned in my entire lifetime.

29. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2006

:D

30. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

When I graduated from college. many years ago, it was extremely difficult to get a full-time position in our state. There were teachers galore vying for just a few positions. I subbed 7 years without getting a full time job and hated it. I wanted my own classroom, my own kids, etc. Then I had a baby and quit.

Last year, after being a stay at home mom for 15 years, I decided to get my foot in the door by subbing again. I LOVE it now. I'm really not interested in a full-time position and am content with subbing. I get all the work I want, sometimes more than I want. I can enjoy the kids without having to worry about lesson plans, grade cards, etc. Ironically, now there is a shortage of teachers and I probably wouldn't have a lot of trouble getting on somewhere if I wanted a classroom of my own.

31. codename:m.o.m.

Sep 17, 2006

Well, I just started subbing last week and I am lovi'n it. We have a computer program that is used for all sub scheduling and I think I will like it. I feel like I have more control than I did when I had to wait to be called. Also, teachers can put me on their preferred list which is helpful too. There are a few drawbacks to it, but it is kind of fun to use. Even though I am not making as much money as I would have if I had gotten a job, I still have a 5 year old in preschool and I feel better knowing I can be here for him if he is sick and it is not so stressful for me. Likewise, if I am sick or my other two boys are sick, I don't feel so bad not being able to go to work. The only bad thing (besides the money) is that I might have to work in the summer since I won't be getting paychecks. I think there is a new policy in the district where I work that says after so many days (not in the same position) I get a $6.00 raise! Also, long term subs get paid more than regular subs. It was not that way in the past.

32. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I sub in special ed and PPCD a lot. Anyone who thinks those aides don't work hard needs to spend a day in there. The unfortunate thing is that as a sub you get paid less for aide positions in my district- only $50 a day. This is really a bummer for Spec ed because they have a hard time getting subs to begin with. Also, for some reason the computer "teachers" at the elementary schools in my district are aides and get paid as such even if they are certified teachers. I don't understand that because they teach Specials just like the music, PE and art teachers.

33. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Well you all pretty much covered it. It really sounds like a great job.

What I like is that I sub where my kids go school. I know so many of the kids and I love the appreciation I get from them and the hugs and all. I find subbing is easier now since I know so many of the kids and their little personalities.

Although I almost always have lesson plans, they are not always so clear or complete. This is okay by me as I love to "fly by the seat of my pants" and have something new everyday. I am great with change so its a good job for me. Next fall I should have my own classroom as I am going to school to get my certification. I have learned so much over the last couple years that I think it will be a huge advantage

34. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

35. ryman

ryman Rookie

Sep 29, 2006

I show up, run the classroom, don't have to grade papers, don't deal with school (teacher) politics, and remain relatively anonymous.