What do you look like?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Dec 12, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 12, 2014

Aka: do you dye your hair?

Just wondering how many of us on here do. I usually get highlights or a full color twice a year. I love going but my hairdresser is two hours away in my hometown and I can't bear to let anyone else do it. I'm going with a red-purple full color again this time. I got it in August and just loved it! Wish I had a picture to share! I love going in the winter; it brightens my mood!

Anyone else like to do a funky color?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 12, 2014

I have long, dark brown hair, pretty much to my waist. I was never one to go to the hair salon every few wks...not when they charged me $130+. Only went a few times a year. Had dyed hair since my early 20s. I've had a few things before: blonde highlights, reddish hair, cut it twice in my life at the shoulders & loved it.

I haven't gone to the hair salon in a couple yrs now. I dye my hair myself w/ drugstore dye. I seem to like Garnier Olia.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 12, 2014

I always told my stylist to surprise me with cut and color. He was the adventurous type, so I had lots of combinations. Even when I didn't like at first, I'd get compliments and usually liked it eventually.

My hair is naturally nearly black. I've had everything from light brown to black. Highlights from blonde to copper. One of my favorites was an asymmetrical cut in black with hot pink highlights.

My hair thinned a lot during medical treatment, and I started wearing wigs. My hair looks much better now, but I still wear wigs. Love the variety.

If I can find pictures, I'll post some.

5. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Dec 12, 2014

I have long brown hair (to the middle of my back) with natural chestnut highlights. It's thin but I have a ton of it. I'm in my 30's and lucky enough to only have a couple of gray hairs, so I don't dye my hair at all. I get it cut twice a year with long layers.

I used to dye my hair in college (black-brown, auburn, mahogany, etc) but I finally realized I actually like my natural color better, haha!

As an aside, I am currently 10 months post-partum with baby #2 and the regrowth is insane! When you are pregnant, your body doesn't shed hair; it holds onto it. Then after you give birth, the past 9 months worth of hair all falls out within a couple of months. Then, about 6 months later, you get this crazy regrowth of hair that's a couple of inches long all over your head. It's hilarious because I can style my hair all I want, but I still have 2-inch fly-aways all over! :p

My current favorite hairstyle is loose waves with a curling wand. It only takes 10 minutes and lasts all day!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 12, 2014

Looking through pictures. Found three colors and styles in the past few months. Threw in three a little older for comparison.

I started making my own hair cut & color choices around 16, and I'd say I've never had the same cut, style, or color more than six months in a row. A lot of people disn't even know I switched to wigs because I changed my own hair so much.

[​IMG]

stream26 likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2014

I have natural blonde hair, but it's gotten darker as I've gotten older. I am always toying with the idea of dying it lighter. I've never dyed my hair. Until it got darker recently, I've always had beautiful natural color. All of my hair stylists would say, "you can't buy that in a bottle!" I'm afraid to dye it because I feel like blonde is so hard to do without looking fake, and I know I'll never be able to achieve the color I used to have naturally. I also know that it's really expensive to keep up with. My mom is 55 and still has no gray hair at all (has never dyed it either), so hopefully that won't be a big problem for me either!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 13, 2014

DG, if you're interested, I can recommend a really good stylist in your neck of the woods. Lemme know!

Right now, my hair is halfway down my back and L'Oreal R4 (that's dark auburn). It really needs to be cut! When I was in college, my hair was aubergine and up to my ears. I went to college with kindercowgirl so that's probably how she remembers me. I'm really pale with light eyes so I tend to look washed out if my hair is lighter shades, which is why I've been covering my gray for decades. SO tempted to chop it all short, go natural, and aim for the Carol from Walking Dead look, but my skin is too light and my face is too round for that.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 13, 2014

I have dishwater blonde hair, and started getting highlights every few months about five years ago, when the color started getting a little washed out looking.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 13, 2014

I have thick, blonde hair that is cut into an angled bob - longer in the front than the back. It's about shoulder length at the longest.

I don't dye my hair yet - the grays are blending in nicely in the back. I have natural highlights so my stylist has told me she won't touch my hair with dye until I feel like the gray is taking over.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 13, 2014

I've grown my hair out for the last 1 1/2 years. It's a little longer then shoulder length. I started coloring my hair in my 30's to color the greys.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2014

A bit longer than shoulder length blonde. I get a touch up about every 5-6 weeks

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 13, 2014

I'm growing out a stacked bob, so it's just above my shoulders at the moment. I go between a caramel brown and a light auburn. I color it myself at home.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2014

I have never dyed my hair. I am afraid I wouldn't keep up with it as well as I should, and I am afraid of all the chemicals over the long-term. I am also afraid of the commitment of time and money. My hair is dark brown with an increasing amount of gray which looks fine. Some friends encourage me to dye it but my hairdresser says no. My hair is very healthy compared to my sister's who constantly dyes it, so that is good.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 13, 2014

I'm blonde. I almost always have highlights and sometimes lowlights. I have long bangs and layers, my hair is to the middle of my back. I have fine hair, but it is THICK. I dislike hot weather because I have so much hair. I wear it up except when I'm at school. I have a tattoo on the back of my neck that I prefer to keep covered at school.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2014

I'm in the process of growing out my hair a bit. It's currently about 4-5" long, which is far longer than it has been since I was a teenager. My natural hair colour is a dirty blonde, although it is probably now more grey than anything else. I've been colouring for many years and have been blonde to red to dark brown, always with highlights of some kind. It's currently a deep red base with copper highlights and I love it! I trust my stylist implicitly with the colour; we change it up about every 6 months or so.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 13, 2014

This thread makes me glad I'm not a woman! :lol:

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 13, 2014

Long dirty-blonde hair. After having typical-man haircuts for the rest of my life, I decided to let it grow, and haven't cut it for about two years. It's down about two inches past my shoulders. Finding out that my hair starts to curl when it grows past my neck was a fun little surprise. I don't dye it or anything, but high school me put highlights in a couple times.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 13, 2014

I'm a redhead but I pay for brown hair. My hair is above my shoulders.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2014

I have curly dark auburn hair that's halfway down my back. I've never dyed it. My shade of auburn is pretty rare and I'm worried it would never be the same if I ever dyed it.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 13, 2014

There are lots of redheads on here! Go team red!

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 13, 2014

My hair is I guess a medium to dark brown and I have natural red highlights but they usually only show up in the summertime with the sun. I only found one picture from recently (after the black hair dye came out). I have tons of pictures but I realized while searching through them that I've been wearing my hair up with one of those sports headbands recently. Too lazy to brush, blow dry and straighten my hair! Ha! (eh and forgive the messy room-- been too lazy to clean as well)

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10712957_10103360262314231_6939574491124968334_n.jpg?oh=afa20a1daae9ebeb11ebeceea786919e&oe=554330B6

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 13, 2014

Love the baby bump too!!

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2014

I didn´t realize the two of you went to school together. How fun!

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 14, 2014

It came out one time on a thread asking where we went to college. I'll admit I had to check my yearbook to make sure I was remembering the right person, but I was.

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 14, 2014

Thanks. :D

27. melnm

melnm Companion

Dec 14, 2014

My hair is just past my shoulders. I haven't dyed it yet, but I'm thinking I'm getting close to it--grays are starting to show up more and more. :p

Oh, and my hair is medium brown. I've always been happy with my natural color. Just not ready to be gray while still in my 30s!

28. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 16, 2014

I'm not really sure what my natural color is anymore....

hehehe... mostly joking.... It's a light dish water brown. (Attractive, eh?)

I've colored my hair since high school. (My mom figured if that was the most rebellious thing I did she was okay with it.) I went blonde from home coloring in 2007 (I went about a year with an awful blonde/reddish-orangy color before I ponied up and went to a salon). An old high school friend is a hair dresser, $120 a visit... so I don't go often. I'd like to go every 3 months, but it is usually 2-3 times a year depending on my budget.

Right now I have an ombre-esque color going on because I last went in May. My stylist does a weave so that it's not straight line across my head when it grows out. I have an appt booked for January because I want a fresh feel for the beginning of my student teaching. I love my blonde hair, I can't wait for my appt.

29. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2014

I dye my hair blonde, not because I have gray, but because I like the blonde better. Without it I'm a dishwater blonde. On a funny note, my second graders had a worksheet from the curiculum once that said, "Write a question for your teacher using correct punctuation." I told the kids that I would answer their questions. One kid wrote, "What color would your hair be if you didn't dye it?: :)

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 16, 2014

I've never done it. Maybe when I'm completely gray. I just don't see the point now. Why hide my natural color?

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2014

I did a few store ones in high school & a couple other times to bring out my natural highlights!
    I have med/darker side brown hair & red highlights naturally. Never done a salon color.
    But not ready for salon commitment yet!!!

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

My hair is currently a little bit past my shoulders. Natural color is a medium brown color. I've dyed my hair blonde, brown with blonde highlights, and brown/blonde/red before. My hair is fine AND thin. It drives me crazy!!

cat~that's interesting about you and Kinder!