What do you look for in a school for your own child?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sweetcynic, Nov 3, 2020.

1. sweetcynic

sweetcynic New Member

Nov 3, 2020

Just wondering... I have a 4 year old and I have already decided that we are not doing Zoom kindergarten if my local schools are still closed next year (too many horror stories from parents I know, including ones who are well educated and involved). It would be much better to just keep her at her current in person preschool another year if need be.

Beyond that, what do you look for in terms of public/private/charter/homeschool? Any pros/cons, from a parent/child perspective, of high SES public vs middling SES public versus private vs charter (I know private and charter tend to pay poorly and have higher turnover as a result, unless the teachers are drawn for other reasons). I know it comes down to the individual students, parents, and teachers, but, for example, do you find it worthwhile to open enroll into different schools for your child to be around fewer behavioral issues? Do you find the academic expectations to be different?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2020

In my experience, schools in lower-SES areas tend to have greater access to special funding and therefore often have special programs. I know that seems counterintuitive, but it is definitely what I've seen. As a parent, I wouldn't hesitate to send my own child to a lower-SES public school as long as I was comfortable with overall student behaviors and administrative response to those behaviors.

I don't really support charter schools and don't see myself sending my own child to one. I would never be able to afford a private school.

In a more general sense, I want my own child's school to look like a happy place, with kid-appropriate decorations, student work, and smiling faces. I want my child's teacher to be knowledgeable and kind. I want the school to be an appropriate distance from my house so that my kid isn't in the car or on a bus for an hour and a half.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 6, 2020

My family has been all over in terms of school types. My parents were rural catholic school and Chicago public schools- CPS was definitely more rigorous, but that was a good CPS school and a teensy hicksville catholic school. My mom taught in a suburban public school for a year, then a greek orthodox school. The private school was way better except in terms of class size. She had 40 first graders and no aide. She started my sister in public school, but pulled her after K between seeing what the curriculum was and having sis develop a lisp on certain words learned from the speech-impaired teacher. She found a small, non-religious private and put her and my next sib there the next year. It was a better academic fit and a closer parent/family community. We left for three reasons: 1. my sister was being bullied and the school wasn't handling it (being slapped across the face was the last straw), 2. they wouldn't have taken me because of my minor disabilities, 3. private for 2 was tight, but private for 3 was too expensive. We moved to get into a stronger public district. That was a nightmare for other reasons, but we got a solid, perhaps overly-rigorous education, and a lot of opportunities we wouldn't have had at a smaller school.

I taught at a charter and I wouldn't put any child of mine in one unless I had safety concerns with the local public and we couldn't afford to move or homeschool. There wasn't much that I'd say was glaringly wrong, but the priorities did not align with mine and there was obsession about test scores and keeping enrollment up at all costs.

I'd say the best assessment you could get would be to talk to parents who've been at multiple schools. It's all so hyper-local which system is better that that's really the best resource, or teachers who teach in one and have their kids in another.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2020

When my college roommate’s daughter was entering kindergarten, she was trying to decide whether to keep her in the church-affiliated private school, the university-affiliated probate school, or the neighborhood public school. I told her to schedule a tour of all three. She expected to prefer the university-affiliated school, but it was the last on her list after the tour. The neighborhood public school was the hands-down winner. She’s told me multiple times that she is so glad she looked at them so closely.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2020

So true, so true.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2020

I think every case can be different. I think the most important is the character of the teacher and nowadays, the types of behaviors allowed in classrooms.

8. AkshayBrill

AkshayBrill New Member

Nov 20, 2020

safety and cleanliness are the stuff that i look for in a school these are the two most important things

9. AmberP

AmberP Rookie

Jan 5, 2021

A very good question. I have two sons, the ostrich is homeschooled now, and the youngest son we are picking up a school. It's important to me that the teachers love their job, as well as the food at school, the way the children spend their leisure time.